main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary! “I am a Jedi like my father before me.”

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kato Sai, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It was a 65 minute drive for me. But I found a route of twisty little roads which are lots of fun in my car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did you pretend you were in the Endor forest Sarge ? "Get alongside that one!"

3. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Took my kids to see if for the first time in a theater last Friday. Theater was half full, but the crowd was into it, and there were lots of moments of applause and laughter. Overall an awesome time, as most Star Wars movies in the theater are. One thing did stick out, though. Jedi Rocks has not aged well. Some things in the special edition weren't so special.

Kato Sai, BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  4. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Force Ghost star 4

May 12, 2005
    I went and saw it twice last Monday. The first showing made me emotional in the crowded theater. It brought back so many feelings and memories for me. The usher was the one that told me about the ranking of it being 4th.=D= Not bad for a 40 year old movie with less than 500 theaters and very little promotion.

darklordoftech, Kato Sai and Sarge like this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    This short re-release also put ROTJ back ahead of AOTC in terms of domestic gross (unadjusted of course, adjusted it already was way ahead). Now it sits right between Indy IV and the first Lord ofthe RIngs movie.

Sadly we didn't get a re-release in my country. I guess that won't change either.

Kato Sai and Sarge like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    ROTJ memories let’s see…

I first saw the film in 2004. I was in elementary school and had just watched ANH and ESB as well. I actually didn’t like ESB the first time I watched it! So kid DS was praying that Vader was lying to Luke about being his daddy.

I don’t remember too much from my first watch, but I remember 2 things that have stuck with me throughout the years. First, I was shocked and blown away by the idea of an unfinished Death Star - the design was so cool, and the space battle absolutely blew me away. Of course I was blindsided when the Death Star was revealed to be FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL!

The second bit I really remember was being on the edge of my couch during the Luke/Vader/Sidious scenes. The Force Lightning left me completely shocked as I had no clue such a thing was even possible. The zapping felt like it went on for hours - I was like “help him Vader!” And when the moment finally happened and the ensuing celebration and Force Ghost scene, man what a satisfying ending.

It was immediately my favorite Star Wars film, until I saw the prequels just weeks later

On a more recent note, I was so glad I was able to make some new ROTJ memories at Celebration this year. Seeing ROTJ 40th ANNIVERSARY plastered everywhere had to be one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also met 3 of the actors from the film…see for yourself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course the 40th Panel was well worth waiting in line for. Mark and Harrison video’d in, the theatrical rerelease was announced, and of course you can definitely tell who WAS there

[​IMG]

They gave us these free posters too:

[​IMG]

And here’s some of the ROTJ swag I picked up from the store!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then a week ago I finally got to see it on the big screen! Absolutely incredible! The crowd was actually going bananas for a 40 year old movie. Hayden Christensen appearing as redeemed Anakin got the loudest!

[​IMG]

This was a fun post to write. Very grateful for all involved in making one of my 5 favorite movies!

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    BigAl6ft6, chrcharcor2, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    It would be awesome if there was an app for your phone that imitated the Endor speeder bike sounds, and you could via bluetooth link it to your speakers and drive through a Redwood forest with the speeder bike sounds blasting. :D

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    darklordoftech and gezvader28 like this.
  8. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
  9. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    Glad folks are enjoying the re-release. Ironically I was first allowed to see "Star Wars" during one of the old school re-release windows in '84. You will not get me to see a Special Edition of any kind ever again, let alone pay for one though. The fact I cannot see the same movie with the Yub Nub celebration song, which I left the theater singing, is alone enough to pass.

AndyLGR and BlackRanger like this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In honour of its 40th I dug out my VHS OT boxset the other day, the early 90's widescreen edition. Damn I'd forgotten how noisy a VHS player is.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Dagobahsystem, Sarge and Kato Sai like this.
  11. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
  13. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I'm not sure my kids have ever seen Yub Nub, or Sebastian Shaw as ghost Anakin. Going to need to remedy that.

AndyLGR and Sarge like this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Yub Nub! And Sabastian Shaw Anakin was the one I knew growing up on my VHS:

[​IMG]

Dagobahsystem, AndyLGR and Sarge like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I really wanted to see ROTJ at the theaters-which would've been the first time since 1996 when I was a kid, but I got really busy this last month and now it's out of theaters where I live...so, I missed it... :(

Kato Sai likes this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Look for revival theaters and drive-ins in your area. They might still be scheduling it.
    Do you live near NJ? I saw that, next year, the State Theater in New Brunswick is planning on showing ROTJ with live orchestral accompaniment.
    (Oh, and they'll be doing that with TESB in a couple of weeks.)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I gotta say I prefer Vader’s look in ROTJ, his mask looks better than in ESB, and I love the chain at the neckline that holds his cape on:

Comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have fond memories of the ROTJ Vader hilt:

[​IMG]
    It was much bulkier and better for two handed fencing.

What Vader’s hilt looks like in most media for comparison:

[​IMG]

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

I live in Denver. Haven't checked drive-ins, but all of the major theater companies (mostly AMC and Regal Cinema out here) are done showing it. Even the Alamo Drafthouse (which often shows older films at random) doesn't have it anymore.

I guess I can just hold on until 2027 for a possible 50th anniversary release of ANH! It's only four years......

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Its suprising they don’t have a few showings for May 25th. Perhaps its the cost of getting Disney to allow it?

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "But it's a whole 'nother four years!" :luke:

Darkslayer and DARTH_BELO like this.
  21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I have to tell you that I think the re-release of Return of the Jedi was well done and the amount of money was way more than The Empire Strikes Back re-release.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The 40th re-release of Empire Strikes Back didn't exactly occur at the best time for movie going...

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I know. :han:

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Luke isn’t beyond using a blaster as Jedi Master. :p

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The right tools for the right job. His plan called for not carrying a 'saber, yet making an attempt to kill Jabba, so it's Dirty Harry time.

Sarge and Kato Sai like this.