main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Return of the Jedi- Series of One-Shots coming from Marvel in February 2023

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-april-2023-covers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI - EWOKS #1

ALYSSA WONG (W) • LEE GARBETT, CASPAR WIJNGAARD, KYLE HOTZ & PAULINA GANUCHEAU (A)

Cover by RYAN BROWN • VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY RYAN BROWN

Connecting Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT

Variant Cover by PEACH MOMOKO • Variant Cover by KYLE HOTZ

Variant Cover by CHRISSIE ZULLO

TALES OF THE EWOKS!

• On the moon of Endor occupied by the species called Ewoks, a group of these stout creatures has gathered around the fire to recount tales of triumph, defeat…and horror!

• In the art-forward manner of storytelling, watch an eclectic group of artists interpret the stories from the unique minds of Ewoks in a manner only they can envision!

• This can’t-miss issue for STAR WARS fans of mirth, merriment and artistry is the book you've been craving!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey it's Baga! Love that little space donkey.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I love that they dusted off the old 80s "Ewoks" logo font for this...

[​IMG]

That said, I'd seriously love to see a variant cover in the style of the old Ewoks comic, complete with cartoony art style and a "Star Comics" logo. That's a variant I'd actually spend a little extra for!

[​IMG]

Stymi, Giovs, darklordoftech and 5 others like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Quick, do a Care Bears crossover.

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Mount Sorrow will appear.

7. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    One can only hope.

8. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I wonder what the comics will do after this run. We had the post-ANH series and now the post-ESB series, so would the next take place during ROTJ? I mean at some point they won't be able to do a Vader series. I'm sure they'll figure out a way but chronologically time's running out. I have enjoyed the current SW runs, the new artist took a little getting used to. The Vader series on the other hand has been really cool, I'll miss it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I don't see a reason for them to cancel Aphra since she's so popular. Vader is a trickier character since at some point you run out of space.

10. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    There's plenty of room in the Dark Times for more Vader stories, but I think a new series in that era would need some kind of selling point to differentiate it from the 2017 run.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  11. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Amazon has posted a listing for the trade paperback collection of this one-shot series under the title "Scoundrels, Rebels, and the Empire." Also, not sure if this was generally known (I didn't see it here if it was) but the remaining one-shots in the series following Jabba's Palace and Ewoks have been revealed:
    • Lando
    • Emperor Palpatine
    • Stormtroopers
    • Smugglers
    With this being a ROTJ tie-in, I wonder if the Lando book will feature the canon version of the Battle of Taanab? And the Smugglers one is interesting. With Nien Nunb being the only other smuggler I can think of in ROTJ outside of Han and Lando, I suspect it will serve to provide some backstory to Lando and Nien's relationship.

12. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    I was hoping for a Wedge-, or at least Rebel pilots-themed entry, although I suppose the Lando and Smuggler issues could cover that territory. I'm a little surprised that there's nothing that would seem to lend itself to a Mon Mothma story, too.

It'd be great see to Taanab, if only so Wookieepedia can stop saying that it happened between acts of ROTJ.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    We need a tale or two involving the other rebel pilots at Endor aside from Norra Wexley, L'ulo L'ampar and Shara Bey: Grizz Frix, Keir Santage, Dorovio Bold, Kin Kian, Karie Neth, Ten Numb, Palso Thern, Keyan Farlander, Arvel Crynyd, Tycho Celchu, Jake Farrell, Horton Salm, Gureni Telsij, Ekelarc Yong...

14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I suppose. I agree, they would need to differentiate it quite a bit or might be seen as stale.

15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    As strange as that placement is, Wookieepedia is getting that from Ultimate Star Wars: New Edition so that lore does have a canonical source. That's not going to "bind" any future writers when Taanab is finally detailed, of course. But that having been said, it would be pretty funny if the writers actually rolled with that and had Taanab happen while Luke was on Dagobah. It would be clunky, but not impossible.

16. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    I haven't read the text that information is taken from, but I feel like it's got to be a mistake, it doesn't make sense.

17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    If you have USW, it's on page 101 in the "Timeline" section for Lando's entry. The placement absolutely could have been a mistake, or they could have dropped it there because that's when Lando mentions it in the film, who knows. At any rate, it's easily ignorable.

RogueWhistler likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I also find myself intrigued by the stormtrooper one-shot. We don't have a lot of villain focused stories outside of the Vader comics, and although stormtroopers appear just about everywhere, I feel like there aren't that many named ones - so will this be all about new characters? Or might we get more of Inferno Squad and Scar Squad?

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Im biased and look forward to Emperor Palpatine one shoot comic.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I figure the Stormtrooper one-shot is going to focus on a few of the Ewok snacks Emperor's "best troops." Inferno Squad could certainly appear, as might Sinjir Rath Velus, who we know was present during the battle.

The Palpatine one shot also offers some interesting possibilities for possible guest stars. Yupe Tashu? Gallius Rax?

21. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    That would be great, poor guy still does not have an even one official illustration.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Neither has pretty much everyone else from the Aftermath trilogy: Sinjir, Condor, Hostis Ij, Auxi, Sondiv Sella, Jas, Jom, Rax, Tashu, the Orishi war criminal senator, all the other senators, Brentin Wexley etc etc etc.

23. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Sinjir and Jas at least each have one illustration, the rest are secondary characters, while Rax is trilogy's big bad.

24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Of all of the canon books, Aftermath is arguably the one with among the most illustrations of its characters. But Rax is a fairly major, Cal Omas-style omission so far.

Xammer likes this.
  25. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Solicit for the Lando one-shot, via Bleeding Cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI – LANDO #1
    STEPHANIE PHILLIPS (W) • ÁLVARO LÓPEZ (A) • Cover by RYAN BROWN
    VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY RYAN BROWN • CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY LEE GARBETT
    VARIANT COVER BY RAHZZAH • VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
    VARIANT COVER BY TYLER KIRKHAM

LANDO AND CHEWIE ANTE UP TO SAVE THE GALAXY!
    When Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca find themselves on a perilous mission to steal from Jabba himself, a dangerous figure from Lando's past threatens their plans and their lives. Chewie finds that putting his trust in Calrissian is a gamble that just might pay off, as Lando calls on his skills as a smuggler to make it out alive. Part of a series of one-shots celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi, this story by Stephanie Phillips (COSMIC GHOST RIDER, ROGUE & GAMBIT) and Álvaro López (CAPTAIN MARVEL) bring you a new, high-stakes adventure with some of Star Wars' most beloved characters.
    40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T …$4.99

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.