main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sequel Trilogy and it's misuse of the Force

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by I Love Star Wars 94, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    As I said before, I think Sabine needed a lot of (unseen) training to move the lightsaber with the force. Like Luke in ESB.

Rey most likely is just one of those rare force sensitives, who had a talent to use the force with just a simple explanation about it and the possibilities the force provides.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia G22 mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  2. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    And simple force stuff is mind tricks?

3. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    How hard is it really, we see 14 year old Ahsoka do it, Ezra at 16. And Rey is more powerful then both of them, a special case like Luke and Anakin. So she succeed at third try.

Darth Caliban and Watcherwithin like this.
  4. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    First of all, you seem to say that as if I'd think that wasn't dumb. Second, I think Ezra would've had the better part of 2 years of training by that point and Ahsoka had trained near her whole life. If so, neither are comparable to Rey.

I don't have as much an issue with Rey pulling a lightsaber to her as an example. Luke could do it in TESB with pretty limited training. At least dramatically it works, even THOUGH this is before the story builds her let it in moment during the Kylo fight. This mind trick moment doesn't work the same.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    PendragonM and StoneRiver like this.
  5. Artorian_Stormtrooper

Artorian_Stormtrooper Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2019
    My major issue with ST’s use of the force is that it’s treated more like superpowers as if those that are force sensitive are mutants from x-men.

Also, it also tries to sell you on this diluted concept of the force instead of really going into depth and explaining it in a way that’s important to each individual characters development. Most of the time it just felt like regurgitated lines from past films as if there’s only one way to explain what the force is. It really said to me that Lucasfilm doesn’t know how the force works.

Pushing Rey to go from this naturally strong and talented scavenger to the be Superman of Star Wars in just a little over a year really made the force seem less interesting for me. Then, they come up with these nonsensical excuses as to why Rey is so powerful and we’re basically told to shut up, get over it and accept it. Yet, Finn shows more qualities of being a Jedi than her and even some abilities (if you know what to look for), but we’re told that he isn’t force sensitive. So, those that have poor knowledge of the force are led to believe “oh, he doesn’t have fancy super powers and no one directly said that he could use the force, so he’s not force sensitive”.

For me, it wasn’t simply a misuse of the force, it was an absolute failure. You can’t make me believe a character is a Jedi that represents pure light and strong in the force when their actions are more of a Sith. Don’t tell me a character is an ultra super special kind of Jedi and then pull multiple conflicting discombobulated explanations out of your butt and expect me to just be happy with it. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with this mess and it will probably be even more of a mess when the next film involving Rey comes out.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I dunno, as much as i like the PT I'd say the PT feels more like Mutants from X-Men. Mostly because its about the Jedi that feel practically like superheroes and have more powers on display.

For example, something i noticed about modern Star Wars is they are all afraid of the force jump ability which was used A LOT in the PT. It was used twice in TROS on the deathstar wreckage, Once in The Mandalorian with Ahsoka, and i think it was used in Ahsoka with Ezra... but im not sure if it was meant to be a force jump.

TROS does have Rey floating, But i don't think thats a big deal, if she suddenly took flight and flew to her next location perhaps it would be a big deal. And the force heal thing, its hard to say who came up with that as it was used in The Mandalion before TROS even came out

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Force heal is such a huge component of TROS, in Mandalorian it was one scene and that's it. I'm betting it was just picked up as a reference in Mando after TROS

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    It was 2 scenes i believe. He healed Din after the Rhino creature fight and then he healed Greef Karga in a later episode after the bird attack. Both times it weakened Grogu.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is that why Ben Solo turned to the Dark Side? Misuse of the Force???

Watcherwithin likes this.
  10. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Luke caught him levitating a pear and became very grumpy

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah. He was mad because his daddy wouldn’t let him fly the Falcon as soon as he turned 16.

PendragonM and Watcherwithin like this.
  12. PolymerSkywalker

PolymerSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2023
    Rey being so strong with the force with basically no training of any kind is really foolish to me. It was also the reason so many people didn’t like the character. It’s really hard to relate to someone just because their grandpa gave her a cheat code. I think that character had a ton of potential, but it was just ruined with terrible writing and directing.

PrincessLeia17 likes this.
  13. You can Fly now in Space if you are a Jedi or Force Sensitive
    Han Solo is now a Force Ghost but well Ahsoka Show fixed this with saying all beings have the Force or are Force Sensitive

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2023
  14. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Han Solo is a memory, and Jedi cant fly, Leia pulled herself to the ship. And all being have the force thats been since beginning.

PrincessLeia17 and KyleKartan like this.
  15. Han Solo was truly a Ghost in Rise of Skywalker and he literally talked to Kylo Ren to Redeem him

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  16. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    That was his own memory, you need to watch movie again.

KyleKartan and Watcherwithin like this.
  17. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I can understand the confusion as the Lucas films would never break from their documentarian approach to show us visualizations of characters memories or flashbacks

18. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    This doesn't make it better.

19. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Better then a simple human with no training as force ghost

Watcherwithin likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Rey's 'levelling up' in TFA... as that kind of reflected Abrams' and KK's slap dash approach to respecting what had gone before, and their complete inability to comprehend existing context and narrative.

Context is key. We've known ever since the OT that force users have powers beyond that of mere mortals. And we've known since the PT that force users don't have the ability to save people from dying or bring those that are dead back to life.

However, I think what's behind the criticism of force healing powers in the ST (aside from the lack of understanding re. existing narrative) are... 1) how it's presented i.e it's presented badly by a poor filmmaker/writer in a poor film (IMO). 2) Poor presentation/writing creates a situation where a plot device isn't given the adequate writing to establish it well i.e. it's not that the idea of force users being able to heal is bad per se (although I'd draw the line at being able to stop people from dying or bringing back from the dead), it's that Abrams isn't very good at developing his own ideas, let alone the ideas of writers/filmmakers infinitely more talented than him...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  21. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    I dont know Rey not that different from before with Luke or now with Sabine. Even the animation shows shows why its not a stretch for Rey's quick learning

KyleKartan likes this.
  22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well the Mandalorian did force healing firist. Now whether they did it because they knew TROS did it, or the otherway around, who knows. but they had baby grogu heal 2 people with the force. A baby did that.

23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not going to get drawn into a conversation where I need to explain the qualitative differences between ANH and TFA.

24. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Sure i just see one was made in 1977 and one in 2015.

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In the right hands its a good idea. Heres someone strong in the force who can do things that she doesn't understand and needs guidance - is she good or evil? But it never really pans out like that.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Sarge likes this.