main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Hamelin could have been disqualified for the same thing. I bet they weren't looking for that though.

We waited too long to make a move in the relay. Props to China for a strong race when they weren't supposed to contend (but no medal to show for it).

Now we have to watch the Germans close in on the medal count by racking up the bobsled medals.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, that was a dramatic semifinal - at least the third period! Canada was leading 3:0, but we were able to catch up with two goals and the third goal was literally hanging in the air - maybe a little bit of luck more and it would've been there. Respect to our guys, it was definitely not an easy win for Canada. :)

Now let's go for the bronze! :D

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, that was slightly suspicious. Especially because the judge was a Canadian. o_O Oh well, still a great Olympic career.

The end of the Canada - Slovakia game turned out to be really intense. So, Luongo is beatable if you keep the pressure on. Anybody know what happened to Gaborik? I don't think that he played in the third.

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, he didn't. And we don't know why (our commentators didn't say anything specific), but speculations are that it's got something to do with his injury, with which he came to the Olympics.

And a little bit of statistics: There are 8600 registered hockey players in Slovakia. In Canada there are half a million of them. Just for comparison. ;)

And to lose 2:3, by the difference of a single goal, against the team who beat the Russians 7:3, is amazing and respect-worthy. :) A bit more and we could've evened out, even.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Ah, that would make sense.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    That is a pretty good showing for Slovakia :)

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    To judge from the Finnish showing against the USA, Slovakia should have no problem taking the bronze...

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hopefully... [face_praying] I think we really deserve to win the bronze medal.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its tough to judge one game from another like that, though. Not saying Slovakia can't/won't win, but I'd expect Finland to play better than they did against the US.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Finland got off to a terrible start, and didn't ever really recover. I think that the bronze medal game will be a lot more competitive than the USA-Finland game.

11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I don't think I've panicked more during the Olympics than during the last period of that game. It was not an easy win, props to the Slovaks for that. Both the medal games are going to be intense.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I was very surprised re: Finland, because Mikka's usually pretty solid.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I really have no idea who'll win the final or the bronze game. It will be interesting.

And Andre Myhrer takes the bronze in the men's slalom! Even more remarkable is that the Austrian men didn't win a single medal in the game, that has never happened before. I'm happy that I don't have to meet the Austrian press after this.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Austrians did get gold, though, didn't they?

The Fins are leading Slovakia 4-3 in the 3rd.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Helping the Finns much, eh, referee? [face_plain]

I mean, yeah, we did make some fauls, but he whistled really inconsistently - he let some Finnish fouls go unpunished, but he whistled pretty much everything to us - and TWICE (!!!) he was late in whistling the foul - I mean, WTF??? We basically played the whole second period without one player (or two...). I'm so rooting for USA in the final...

Still, we can go home with our heads held high - overall we did very well, we've won against some really tough opponents, we just lacked a little bit of luck in the key moments.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Tough loss.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Nope, it was Italy-Croatia-Sweden on the podium. Then two Austrians. Just like in the giant slalom where the three Austrians ended up 4th, 5th and 6th.

18. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    The ticket prices for the final Gold medal game are crazy.

The hottest ticket in Canadian sports history

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=54096.html#the+hottest+ticket+canadian+sports+history

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Doesn't really surprise me that tickets are that high.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What a game! US ties it with 24 seconds left!

EDIT: And Canada wins in the extra period. Congrats to Canada!

21. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
  22. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So does that mean for the next several days, the Arena banner is going to have Canada and that red maple leaf all over it. :p

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Don't have a banner like that, sorry :p

We do have a baseball banner that will go up after this one (probably tomorrow). And the (old) March Madness banner coming up soon, too.

24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Great game, Canada got away with that win considering all the stars on their team. Kind of funny how Crosby becomes the hero again.

25. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Great job Canada! 14 Golds, with the Hockey Gold the sweetest of all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.