main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Beyond the Saga The Wonderful Life of Mara Jade

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, Apr 28, 2024.

1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Told you it was soon. Chapter 6 is here finally!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter 6 – Illusion Of Memory

"Well, I'm glad you learned something from my Academy after all these years," said Luke Skywalker.

Mara stared at her husband before she could comprehend speech. How long had it been since she had seen him? She didn’t know. She didn’t know many things at this point. What she did know was that she was no longer in the presence of Rey and her students. She was in another medical room and sitting on a bed. She felt something on her head. She reached up with her fingers to touch it. It was another baacta bandage on her head.

“You had a nasty head wound. I didn’t have time to put you in a Jedi healing trance because you were already unconscious.”

Head injury. In this timeline as well. She slowly found her voice. “Was I in a coma?”

“A coma? No, you were only out for a few hours. You just woke up minutes ago.”

“In this reality, anyway.”

“In this reality? Mara, are you all right? You seem confused.”

She had to tell him. Of all the people she could tell, it would be Luke. He would understand. He understood the trip to Earth after she died. She was now bouncing between realities again on a whim. She would have to tell him.

But she couldn’t. She remembered when after she told him ten years ago there was a slight hesitancy of belief on his part. They never spoke about it since. Regardless, he deserved an explanation for her confusion. She kept as close to the truth as she could, For now.

“I…. I don’t remember. How did I hit my head? I don’t remember being brought in here.”

“It’s all right, Mara. You were unconscious. And memory loss is expected with a head injury. You were attacked on a shuttle.”

“A shuttle? Attacked?”

“Yes, you were in a shuttle here on Seria in search of Orin Mott. He actually snuck aboard your shuttle. He said he tried to attack you while you were piloting. There was a struggle, and you must have hit your head before you were ejected out of the open cargo door and landed in the ocean. Thank the maker it wasn’t over land. We did manage to catch up to Orin and arrest him.”

“Uh…who is Orin?”

Luke raised his eyebrows. “Orin Mott. My, you must have really hit your head hard. You’ve known that name for a better part of a year. You really don’t remember what happened to him?”

“No! I’m sorry, Luke, but I don’t!”

“It’s all right, Mara. You may have blocked out the memory. We can try a Jedi meditation to bring back your memory later. You were so depressed for the past several months. Anyone would be. Especially after what happened.”

“After what happened?”

“Why don’t you get out of that bed and sit here by the table, and I’ll explain it. I’ll get you some caf.”

“I don’t want caf! I want to know what happened!”

“All right. Calm down. I should tell you that you won’t like it.”

“I should tell you how I hate that phrase coming from you. Spill it!”

Luke gave a look like he had been found guilty of something. He then nodded and said, “Very well. About eight months ago we were tracking a rogue member of the Fariu Pirate gang. He went on a terrorist spree planting bombs everywhere in the galaxy. Many had died. We had inside information where he would go next on—”

This time, Mara could witness the change. It wasn’t like a scene fade as if in a HoloFilm. There were no wavy lines as if in a dream. The scene simply changed in an instant as if someone flipped a switch. Luke was gone. As was the med room. She was now standing. And before her were Rey and her students.

“No! He was about to tell me! Not now!”

“Mara?” Rey asked.

“Was that part of the passive calm you were just talking about?” the student Barad asked. "Because that last sentence was far from calm and passive.”

Sensing something was wrong, Rey moved closer to Mara and asked, “You were in the alternate reality again, weren’t you?”

Mara gave her a wry look. “What gave it away?”

“Only the fact that your disposition changed in an instant.”

“An instant? How long was I out?”

“You weren’t. You didn’t faint or seemed flustered at all. You talked about calm and passive, and you cried out your next sentence.”

Mara thought back during her time with Luke. “I was there for at least ten minutes. The switch. It’s happening quicker now. Almost seamless.”

Seeing that her students were still standing around them, Rey addressed them, “Could you give us some time to recuperate? Take a break for a few moments, please. Thank you.”

The students complied and dispersed to their individual paths, leaving Rey and Mara alone. Rey took a moment before asking Mara, “What happened there?”

“Luke. I was with Luke. He’s still alive in my world. He managed to tell me there was an incident on a shuttle I was piloting over the seas of Seria. There was a scuffle with someone who snuck aboard. He tried to fight me while I was piloting.”

“Not very smart.”

“Right? But he did. I hit my head somehow and fell out and landed in the ocean unconscious.”

“Just like you did here,” Rey uttered.

Mara nodded. “Luke said they caught up to him and arrested him. Orin Mott.”

“Who is that?”

“I don’t know. Luke mentioned his name as if I’d already known it. I told him I don’t remember. He told me of another incident that involved Orin about eight months before.”

“What was it?”

“I have no clue. That’s right when the switch happened, and I was back here. Luke disappeared right in front of me. Replaced with you and your students.”

“Oh, that has to be frustrating.”

“We’ve passed frustrating a few parsecs back.” Mara breathed out hard. “I need to find more about this Orin Mott. Do you have a computer terminal here?”

“Yes, it’s at the main hut.”

“Does it have a high security clearance?”

“We can access the HoloNet. How high of clearance do you need?”

“High enough to access the old Imperial database. Specifically, those with extensive profiles of galaxy citizens.”

“The Imperials did that?”

“Whenever they could. I’m sure the First Order did the same. Their check on people who may cause trouble.”

“Truthfully, I’m not sure if ours can access that. I know the ins and outs of ship mechanics, but I’m not that good at slicing.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Mara’s thoughts perked. “Is the Falcon still here?”

“It should be. Chewie and Poe are still unloading supplies.”

Mara already began to head toward the makeshift spaceport. “I know Han had extremely high clearance on the Falcon’s computer. Not exactly legal. I’m betting the Han in this world did the same.”

Rey followed Mara to the spaceport and then to the Millennium Falcon. Chewie and Poe were indeed carrying supplies out of the ship. Poe just finished placing a large container on top of another container when he saw Mara and Rey heading towards them.

“Hey gals!”

“Gals?” Rey asked.

“Girls?” Poe tried to look innocent.

Mara quipped, “I am several decades old. I’ve outgrown the ‘girl’ title.”

“Sorry. I was just using Chewie’s term.”

Nearby, Chewbacca growled angrily.

Poe shot back. “No, that term has several translations in Basic.”

Chewie growled again.

Rey suggested, “I think you had better quit before you’re suddenly unable to walk forever,”

“Good idea. What can I do you for you fine women?”

Mara answered, “I need access to the Imperial database through the Falcon’s computer.”

Poe laughed. “And I would like a million credits to fall from the sky. Are you crazy?”

Mara shrugged. “Jury’s still out. Doesn’t the computer have extremely high clearance?”

“It does, but not for impenetrable Imperial files. Our best slicers couldn’t get into those.”

Mara grinned widely. “What if I told you there may be a way for me to get in.?”

“I would say I’d be in your debt.”

“Let’s go then.”

Poe called over to Chewie who was still carrying items out. “Hey, Chewie, let’s take a break. We don’t have that much left. Mara here wants to use the computer to hack into the Imperial files.” Chewie barked. “I know, right?” Poe then motioned to Mara and said, “Come on in.”

They all entered the Falcon and reached the terminal in the main area. Poe approached it and with a flourish of his hand he presented the chair to Mara. “Be my guest. And good luck.”

She sat down as she said, “You don’t need luck if you have enough skill.” She immediately started typing at the terminal. A few moments later the Imperial/First Order insignia appeared on screen.

“This is as far as anyone has reached,” mentioned Poe.

“Then let’s try this,” Mara said as she typed in several Aurubesh characters. The terminal sat thinking while they all looked on in anticipation.

Poe looked at what Mara typed and repeated it. “Hapspir, Barrini, Corbolan, Triaxis? What is that?”

“My old Imperial recognition code as the Emperor’s Hand. It allowed me access to highly classified files in the Imperial database. At least it did in my universe. It also forced high-ranked officers to stop what they were doing and assist me. That code meant I was associated with Palpatine. I’m assuming I don’t have to tell you what happens if you failed to comply with him.” Their silence was all the answer that was needed.

The screen changed to a login site that also showed the Imperial and First Order insignias. A blinking cursor was at the top awaiting instructions.

Rey exclaimed, “You’re in.”

“Hot damn, you’re in!” Poe added.

Mara simply froze as she stared at the screen.

Rey uttered, “Mara? Are you all right? I feel that you’re confused again.”

“It worked,” Mara whispered.

“Yes, it did,” Poe replied.

“I don’t exist here. But it worked. That means someone somewhere was given this same recognition code. Another Emperor’s Hand.”

Poe tried pushing her. “Yeah, that’s fine. The fact is that it did work. Damn, what I could find out in there.” He paused and said, “Guess I should have asked before what is it that you wanted to find in here.”

Mara mentally shook herself out of her question and back to the mission. “A name.” She started typing again.

Poe looked. “Orin Mott? Who is he?”

“It’s the name that Luke gave me.”

“Luke? When?”

Rey explained to Poe, “She travelled back to her reality earlier.”

“Oh. Well, that explains it.”

Mara ignored them while she looked through Orin’s profile. “Orin Mott. Born 17 ABY on Berasom. He’s a little younger than Luke. Head Mining Administrator.”

“Berasom,” Poe repeated. “Is that in the Outer Rim?”

Mara confirmed. “Yes. Just past the Vesper Cluster. Known for mining iradium ore.”

Chewbacca started a long series of grunts and whines. Poe translated. “He says it’s for medical supplies. He had Han used to smuggle it out of there to systems that needed it.”

Mara scoffed. “Because it was Imperial owned. Once again, they were too greedy to share with the galaxy without a high price.” Mara kept reading. “He has a daughter. Oh, his wife died after giving birth.”

Rey uttered, “Oh that’s tragic. Do you think that could be the incident that Luke spoke of?”

“No. It happened ten years ago. That’s the age of the daughter. Orin has a history of hard work and loyalty to the mines. He started working there at age twelve. Worked his way up. He was never late for work. Hardly ever took off. No incidences. No criminal activity. Doesn’t even look like he ever left Berasom. An average man.”

“Were you expecting a high crime boss?” Poe asked.

“I don’t know what I was expecting. Why would he attack me?”

“He attacked you? When—oh, in your world.”

“Actually, that is the problem. Whatever did happen that made him attack me, it happened in my reality, not this one. No matter how much research I do here, it does me no good because it happened there. In this world, Orin Mott doesn’t look like he could hurt a fly. In mine, he could be a monster.”

Rey asked, “Would our personalities change between different realities?”

Mara uttered, “An interesting question. Add it to the pile of unanswered questions to all of this.”

Rey reflected, “I’m not an authority on multiple universes, but it seems to me that our personalities wouldn’t change. Our situations would. Given different circumstances we would act differently with each one. Nothing may have happened to Orin here, but something did happen there that made him attack you.”

Mara raised her brow. “Rey, that was very profound.”

“Thanks. Come to think of it, I did experience a small glimpse of a different universe through the Force once. I saw an image of myself as a Dark Side user. Same me, but much angrier.” She spoke directly to Mara. “Why don’t you try meditating in the Force.”

“You know I’ve tried that and came up with nothing.”

“But you focused on what happened to you specifically. You already know that. Or some of it. Why not try focusing on Orin Mott?”

Mara shrugged. “Worth a try.”

“Excellent. We’ll leave you to it in your quarters.”

Poe said, “Before you leave, could you leave this screen up? Maybe forever? I’d like to get into some of those files myself now that we’re in.”

Mara said, “I saved the security parameters to the login data.” She lifted herself out of the seat.

“Thank you so very much!” Poe now sat before the terminal and started entering keys.

Before she left the room, she looked around at the grime covered chaos that dominated the area. “One thing’s for certain. The Falcon’s personality never changes.”

Mara’s quarters, thirty minutes later

Mara first grabbed a bite to eat before she began meditating. She started her breathing technique to immerse herself in the Force. She formed an image of Orin Mott based on a holopic on his profile. Close-cropped dark blonde hair with rough skin courtesy of years working deep in the ore mines. She sensed there was a sweet sincerity about him. Why did he attack her?

She concentrated deeper in the Force. There was a faint sense of the pain of tragedy. The wife died in childbirth. There was a ten-year-old daughter. She found it strange that she could not conjure an image of her. Not even a name. She dived even deeper in the Force. She was to the point where nothing else existed beside the Force and herself. She had not been this deep in the Force for quite some time. Something compelled her to open her eyes.

There was nothing. Blackness surrounded her. She could not see anything in front of her face. She looked down at herself. She could not even see her arms. There was another mystery. She was no longer in the Force. She felt wide awake. She was no longer meditating. This was happening for real. What was this? The darkness should have been foreign to her. There was an eerie sense of familiarity about it. Had she experienced this before?

“Hello!” she tried to call out. Another mystery. Her voice did not reverb. It didn’t echo. It sounded flat as if she were in a soundproof room. She stood up and started walking. There was no visible floor, yet she was walking on…something.

A spot of white light appeared before her from an unknown source. Under the light was a small girl. She had light blonde hair and wore a simple beige tunic. She looked at Mara with the sweetest smile.

“Hi,” Mara called out to her.

“You must be Mara Jade,” the girl’s high-pitched voice stated.

“Yes. How do you know my name?”

“She said you would be here. She told me all about you. C’mon, I’ll take you to her.” The girl beckoned with a gesture by her hand.

Mara approached her with hesitancy, then with curiosity. “Who are you taking me to?”

“Oh, she’ll tell you. She knows everything. She certainly remembers you.”

“I met her before?”

“Sure. You’ll see. Take my hand.”

Mara complied and they started walking. As they walked, the spot of light followed them along their path. Mara still could not see where they were going. Her feet going forward did not feel like they were hitting solid ground. It felt more like she was floating above the surface. It was there and not there at the same time. Once again, Mara felt the sense that she had experienced this in the past. This has to be a dream, she thought.

“It isn’t a dream, Mara,” the girl said.

“Hey, you know my name. What is yours?”

“My name is Aja. I haven’t been here for long. Of course, time doesn’t matter here anyway. I’ll be on my own journey soon. She just needed me to fetch you.”

“Whomever she is.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll remember her. Remember to remember. Remember?” Aja chuckled.

Somewhere in the back of Mara’s mind, that phrase sparked a memory.
    Remember to remember.

There was another spot of light shining down ahead of them. It was larger with an object under it. A wooden park bench stood amongst the blackness. There was a female figure sitting in it with her back to them. Mara and Aja went around to the front of the bench. Mara could see the woman.

She was in her mid-twenties. She had a waif-like thinness wearing a black halter top and black pants. Her skin was as pale white as the light shining down on them. A black umbrella sat unfolded upright next to her on the bench. Then there was the medallion. The medallion. It was silver on a black chain around her neck that reached just below her bosom.

A decade of memories flooded Mara’s mind. Memories of Earth. Mobile, Alabama. Mary Jane Skyler. She entered Mary’s mind after Mara died. She remembered asking for help to understand her situation. This woman visited her there. She had many names. One in particular. Mara did remember.

“Death,” Mara called out.

“Hi, sweetie. We meet again. Actually, you can still call me Didi. The unofficial title.”

“Why am I here? Again?”

“Oh, Hun, we need to have a talk.”

tbc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 7

Aug 21, 2006
    Mara with Luke and getting a name and following clues. Where is she now?
    Love the talk between Rey, Poe and Mara

3. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Looking forward to more.