main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I just finished the audiobook and really enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite of Marc Thompson's Star Wars narrations. His Thrawn voice is excellent. I know I am late to the party on this one, but is it me or is Vanto and NuCannon stand in for Gilad Palleon? I like the Vanto character and he is reminiscent of Palleon as Captain of the Chimaera in the original Thrawn Trilogy.

Over all I enjoyed the book and Thrawn's rise through the ranks. However, there were a few drawbacks.

1. Thrawn never failed in any significant way. I would say only failure he experienced was not gaining Nigthswann as ally.

2. Ahrinda Pryce, though given a full back story was never sympathetic. In fact, I got the impression that hers was a cautionary tale. Although this story is told from an Imperial perspective, I could not root for Ahrinda in any way as I could for Thrawn.

3. I was a little suspect of Thrawns 'greater evils' speech, given that one never materializes. It is a far reaching motivation that has no resolution unless further along in the series of novels. If Palps is not an Evil threat, then what is and when will the nebulous conflict take place?

Chrissonofpear2 and Major Zuma like this.
  2. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I thought this too, but was told this wasn't the case by someone earlier, can't recall the precise reasoning. I suppose the most obvious is the fact that there is a NuCanon Pellaeon. :p

brodiew likes this.
  3. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    There is? Where? Is he in Alliances? [face_hypnotized]

4. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Rebels.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    For me, the cover reinforced Thrawn’s sex appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brodiew likes this.
  6. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Ah, I must have missed that in season 3. Price was there, but I never saw Palleon. I have not seen Season 4. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  7. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    He has a one-line offscreen cameo at the end of Season 4, nothing beyond that yet

kalzeth, brodiew and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  8. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    The 5 Thrawn books were favs. I love Zahn's writing on the whole. And this one, was entertaining. But I don't like Thrawn anymore as a character. He has gotten on my nerves in this book. He has expanded into new areas of "know it all-ism" that is predictable and boring. I rolled my eyes too much. I didn't like Pryce and Vanto either. The former is too hard and the latter is too sycophantic. But not liking well written characters does not stop me from enjoying the book. I admit tho that I miss 3rd person enemy Thrawn, he really sits better with me from that perspective.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  10. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Zahn's Thrawn novels in the old EU were always among my favorites but I have yet to read any in the new canon. Seeing Thrawn in the Ahsoka Disney+ series got me interested in what his character was up to in the new canon. I dipped my toes back into Star Wars novels after a long break, first with the Ahsoka novel and then Rise of Skywalker (both audio books.)

I wanted to listen to the audio book of Thrawn but I couldn't find it in my local library system, so I picked up the physical book instead. Most of the reviews I've read of it are mixed. I doubt it can live up to the nostalgia-tinted glasses I wear when remembering the original Thrawn Trilogy, but Zahn is a talented author and I'm confident the story will be engaging.

If I enjoy this initial novel enough, I'll continue with the other entries in the series. I believe there are now 2 Thrawn trilogies in the new canon.

11. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    2017's Thrawn (gods that title is so blasé) is pretty damn excellent, especially since you not only do you get an almost exact retelling of the Legends short story "Mist Encounter" (with minor additions and new angles) that originally showed Thrawn's moment of joining the Empire, but an extension and expansion of that moment as he rises through the ranks, despite prejudice against his non-human appearance.

When I read the paperback in 2018 it was my first Zahn book I had read since Vision of the Future around the turn of the millennium and I was highly satisfied, even having not read anything by Zahn in nearly twenty years by that point.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Reiterating Sturm, the blase-titled "Thrawn" 2017 book is really good. I went into it expecting something mediocre, and while it's not the best of the new Disney-era books, it's pretty great. And while some of the subsequent Thrawn novels in the new trilogies are less than stellar, they're all worth reading. The most recent of the bunch (Lesser Evil) is amazing. But you have to read the others to build up to it.

13. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Yes, I do remember reading Mist Encounter long ago, but I don't remember much about it, save for it introducing Thrawn's long-form Chiss name. I wouldn't have connected it to the opening chapters of Thrawn otherwise, if you hadn't mentioned it. This is my first Zahn novel in many years also. I read Scoundrels ten years ago, and, like you, read Vision of the Future around 1999.

Yes, I'm told the Ascendancy trilogy is superb and I'm eager to get to it, but I'll take the sage advice to read the novels leading up to it first.

As for the title, I'm sure the geniuses in the marketing department at the publisher came up with that one. At the time, it was probably all that was deemed necessary to capture the attention of potential readers. That, and plastering Thrawn's giant, unmistakable mug on the cover.

14. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Yeah, absolutely Pryce is a cautionary tale. She starts as a somewhat sympathetic, if ambitious young woman, and then transitions over time into a ruthless social climber who's learned not to depend on anyone. She also gets the true blame for the Batonn disaster (as a bit of retcon from Rebels season 3) and is shown in Thrawn's eyes to be a less than reliable ally anymore. In a way this also sets up her mistakes in Rebels season 4, that help unravel Thrawn's wider strategy.

So it's not really that relatable... but is still fairly good seeding and developing of character traits.
    That said I did WANT to see Thrawn fail a bit more, especially in the Ascendancy trilogy.

We do see hints of a bigger threat in books 2 and 3, and the Ascendancy trilogy. Still, I really struggle to see this threat as SURPASSING Palpatine. Thrawn seems still blind at times to his malevolence... and we still do not see exactly when Thrawn acquiesced so thoroughly to the Imperial philosophy (although that's maybe more of an Original Thrawn trilogy issue, in hindsight)

Also, Pellaeon has a small cameo in the novel Treason. Is also in - a tv role, briefly... at one point.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One thing I really liked about Zahn's take on Pryce was her connection with Lothal. She doesn't seem to care about it much in the show, but in the book she started out really devoted to it.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  16. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Zahn definitely enhanced what was (onscreen) a fairly cardboard villain character.

SWpants and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  17. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Kinda sad that Pryce's journey to villainy started with Mr. Krabs Azadi's corruption scheme that targeted her family and in the end she is dead and he is the Governor once again.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This was one of the things I had a problem with. Azadi doesn’t come across as corrupt or even evil in rebels. Hell adventures in wild space show that he was helping the Bridgers as far back as 17 BBY.

I think Zahn was trying to make the rebel characters all more complex than they actually ever were meant to be to the point it doesn’t jive well with what is presented on screen

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  19. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ Something that gets lost in translation, it looks like.

20. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Ryder’s played by Clancy Brown, I’ll never fully trust him.

21. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Well, one does not necessary contradict another, Azadi could honestly want to help Bridgers as well as to protect his home planet from the Empire's plans, while having some illegal profit for himself.

IMO, it is more likely because of Zahn's usual portrayal of politicians being either corrupt or ineffectual.

Yeah,

Chrissonofpear2 and SyndicThrass like this.