main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 5, 2018.

1. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    I think Believability might be the wrong word; or at least to high of a goal. Sherlock Holmes, Thrawn, etc. don't function as realistic characters. Rather, it's about just being "believable" enough to get a willing audience to follow along, kind of like a magic stage act. It's not about making sense, but about being enjoyable and feeling, rather than actually being true.

OrganicMeatbag likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't and don't speak for "the audience" writ large and couldn't possibly. Whether we call it believability, suspension of disbelief, sleight of hand, etc. -- the only thing I'm saying is that I did not care for it one bit.

When I say that believability is subjective, what I mean is that my opinion is my opinion and not necessarily anyone else's (and definitely not that of "the audience.")

3. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Just posted a review of Star Wars: Thrawn: Treason at G-POP.net's Facebook page (if anyone is interested, here's the link:
    www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2536285963131099&id=276123499147368). I liked the book, though I am sad that they are changing the canon so much. If anyone had to do it, I'm glad they decided to stay with Zahn - who knows the character better than the man who created him in the first place.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I just finished this book a few days ago and loved it. It was a good wrap up the trilogy IMO. I do have a question regarding the epilogue however. Okay obviously the Emperor would want to get his hands on Ezra to corrupt him, but that was a surprise that Ezra was even mentioned. I wonder now in a future novel we'll see where Thrawn and Ezra went (or are) or if Filoni will want that.

The Legions of Lettow and Vialco like this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I recall Timothy Zahn saying that Filoni gets first crack at Ezra and Thrawn (which makes sense, they're "his" characters). Given that we're getting a prequel novel, that does sound like they're not doing anything post-Rebels on purpose, for whatever reason.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I thought someone here mentioned Zahn wanted to only do one more Thrawn story (trilogy?) too.

7. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Zahn’s given the impression that he will write Thrawn stories until he dies. If anything, the Thrawn Ascendancy Trilogy seems like it’s something to do while he waits for Filoni to organise where Thrawn will be post-Rebels.

8. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Right. I preordered the next Thrawn book so am pretty psyched. I didn't preorder Treason obviously but I think I did the others & have enjoyed them all. I'm assuming this next trilogy will take 3 years so HOPEFULLY Filoni will have done whatever by then. I want to see what he's been up to post-ROTJ or if he's survived longer where that is.

9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    There are rumours that the Rebels follow-up show (whatever it might be called) is already well into production and will air at the end of 2020...personally I’m not really sure if I truly believe that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an announcement at Celebration or something for it coming next year or something.

Vialco and Maythe14thBeWithYou like this.
  10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I tend to take a I'll believe when I see it view.

DarthJaceus and Daneira like this.
  11. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    That’s probably wise in these uncertain times.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’d love to see Thrawn and Rax together, then Thrawn and Snoke.

13. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Just finished. Fantastic book. Really fantastic. A much, much more complete book than the previous two, and really felt like it could sit on par with the Legends Thrawn books that we've had in the past.

14. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    I've been waiting for the paperback, but have enjoyed what I have read of it. Sort of expected the infiltration of Chiss society hinted at in Alliances to be expanded upon way more, though.
    (Is also fairly compatible with Legends, I guess - one more Grand Admiral to add to list, possibly replaced by one of Abel G. Pena's set)

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but I'm reading the paperback and I thought this particular line from Savit was pretty funny- "There was no way that the lone Chiss in the fleet could be mistaken for anyone else, and an equally zero chance that someone could or would impersonate him.", considering both happened in legends.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I remember him being impersonated by Flim. When was he mistaken for somebody else?

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Side Trip, when he disguised himself as Jodo Kast. He was wearing a helmet, but still counts. Regardless, there's no way Zahn wasn't thinking of at least Hand of Thrawn when he wrote that line.

18. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Does anyone know the timeframe over how long this book takes place?

Thrawn being summoned to Coruscant by Tarkin (in Rebels episode Jedi Knight) happens on Day 6 of the rebels' Lothal campaign, and the rebels' escape from the Jedi temple happens around dawn on Day 9 (A World Between Worlds). Hera then has to leave Lothal, head for Yavin 4, collect the Ghost, Rex and Kallus, contact Joopa Base, Hondo and Ketsu, and head to Seelos to pick them up a day later than expected. Thrawn then returns to Lothal the following day.

I've seen a suggestion that it's about a week, but having not read it myself, I'm not certain.

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I believe Zahn himself has said it’s a week.

20. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    I think I can come out and say it, Thrawn in the nu-canon is a morally grey character compared to decidedly very evil EU Thrawn, and he's all the better for it.

21. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    You’ll find some pushback to that notion.

Wrinty likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Legends Thrawn's a good example of a character becoming increasingly evil over time - Outbound Flight Thrawn is less evil than Choices of One Thrawn, and Choices of One Thrawn is less evil than TTT Thrawn.

Wrinty, PCCViking and DarthJaceus like this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wonder if they'll try that in Canon especially if Thrawn appears in any post Jedi material

24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I doubt it, within canon novels his morality is fairly consistent with itself.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can believe that the Thrawn of the Ascendancy trilogy will be less willing to turn a blind eye to slavery and other atrocities.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.