main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Tom Veitch - 1942-2022

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 18, 2022.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Veitch obviously had a huge impact on the EU. Not only through Dark Empire, but his less-discussed work on TOTJ was hugely significant as the first depiction of the Jedi at their height and the historical Sith. It’s TOTJ that was Veitch’s best work, with its fairy-tale knight-errant Jedi, fallen Sith, and complex, conflicted central character Ulic, even if Veitch didn’t get to finish that story. Dark Empire is a mix of great ideas and derivative ones that would probably have worked best as an Infinities riff on ROTJ, which is all it really was, but TOTJ merged striking ideas with intriguing execution, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t more influential than it already was (Veitch’s Jedi are way more interesting than the regimented prequel Jedi). Veitch certainly left behind one of the most impressive legacies in the EU.

Xammer, MercenaryAce, jSarek and 10 others like this.
  3. Mandalore464

Mandalore464 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 3, 2011
    Rest in peace Mr Veitch and thank you. Dark Empire was the fix that kept me returning to Star Wars again and again in the long wait between the OT and PT. I don't think I would lie if I said there were weeks when I would read it whole every. single. day. And it was everything I wanted the ST to be.

4. Andreas Henn

Andreas Henn Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2013
    A Marvel Epic Collection will appear in May:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends_Epic_Collection:_Tales_of_the_Jedi_Vol._2

5. JediAvatar

JediAvatar Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2020
    Rest in peace Mr Veitch. Best wishes to all his loved ones.
    Thank you for all of the amazing stories. Dark Empire and the Tales of the Jedi series being my favourite Star Wars comics.
    As many others have pointed out, Tom Veitch was just as important to the birth of the eu and revival of Star Wars interest as Timothy Zahn and it’s nice to see how many people truly appreciate him.
    During TESB, Lucas had vague story treatments for the sequel trilogy which as we all know, never actually came to be:

- Episode VII was to be the first part of a trilogy continuing the story of Luke as a Jedi.

- Episode VIII would have featured Luke's sister (unique from Leia).

- Episode IX would introduce the Emperor and depict Luke's ultimate battle with him.

Besides the obvious sibling situation with Leia, Dark Empire is very similar to these story outlines, and to my knowledge, the closest thing we have and probably ever will get to George Lucas’ original sequel trilogy treatment.
    On one hand, the comic itself feels very much like the OT, while also having its own unique feeling and atmosphere. Veitch also writes best portrayal of Leia in the post rotj era. The best part of Dark Empire is definitely Luke Skywalker’s arc. Infiltrating Palpatine’s inner circle in order to sabotage his war effort and then falling into despair when he fails to defeat Palpatine due to him burdening all responsibility and thinking he has to save the galaxy on his own. Which in retrospect actually works really well after the Thrawn Trilogy where Luke is pondering about being the last of the Jedi. Later we learn that Luke’s motivation was also wanting to learn more about his father and why he turned to the dark side. This is another reason why Dark Emprie is a great sequel to the OT. From the very beginning in ANH, Luke has always had a great interest in his father, and after learning that Darth Vader is his father, he still goes out of his way to save his father despite all Vader has done to him and his friends. Dark Empire continues and concludes this particular arc for Luke in a great and satisfying way while also continuing and expanding his arc as a Jedi and knowledge of the Force. Darth Vader may be dead as of Dark Empire, but he is very much there in spirit. There’s so much more good to say about Veitch’s work but I’ll leave it at that, otherwise I’ll end up writing multiple essays.

Once again thank you Mr Veitch for all the great stories. Rest in peace.

6. Obi-Henn Kenobi

Obi-Henn Kenobi Jedi Knight

Jan 16, 2015
    He was writing a book about his experiences writing Star Wars comics, wonder what will become of that. Here's a very interesting excerpt, also discussing TFA:
    https://starwarsinterviews.com/revi...empire-author-tom-veitchs-new-star-wars-book/
    And I also would have loved to finally see Lightsider published (not do speak of DE III as it was originally intended, not the abridged Empire's End). By the way, his last book The Visions of Elias: A True Story of Life in the Spirit is something quite special. Anyone read it? Here's the description from the back cover:
    No Tom has gone the same way - requiescat in pace.

7. knight-of-NJO

knight-of-NJO Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    RIP Mr. Veitch. One of the first EU comics I ever read was the TOTJ comics, and it is still all these years later some of my favorite Star Wars stories to this day. Seeing the Jedi at the height of the Order, before the Jedi Council became fully formalized, before the rules on attachment, and their fear of losing control led to downfall of the order, it was all a wonderful adventure and is my favorite depiction of the Jedi Order. My only complaint, the TOTJ comics were too short in depicting the massive conflicts of the time, Dark Horse and LucasFilm should have given him more issues to expand the conflict. And thought I am in the minority here, I absolutely loved the artwork/design of the starships of that era, it added to the wonder of the series. Dark Empire, what can I say, it is a personal favorite, I still have the comics, the Handbook, and the Dark Empire RPG sourcebook, Vietch's imagination and creativity was something else, unique worlds, the 'lighting'/atmosphere, and the World Devastators, arguably the most terrifying superweapon in Star Wars. The world lost one of the Greats, RIP Tom Vietch.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He was a great storyteller and visionary. Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi will always be forever.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Jedi Ben and Tython Awakening like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    There was an untitled book to be released by Veitch where he talked a lot about Dark Empire, including the differences beteeen him, Zahn and others and ideas they threw around and some they did not follow up on even. Interview about it was on a website once... did it ever get released and if so under what title? Interview is a few years old at most and I think it was shortly before the pandemic hit.

Xammer and Tython Awakening like this.
  10. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    It wasn't just an interview, but an actual excerpt from the book posted here on StarWarsInterviews.com - Unfortunately the full text has never been released, and I hope Veitch's family has kept it safe at least.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    JediAvatar and ColeFardreamer like this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Rest in peace. I love the Dark Empire comic series and in many ways along with the Thrawn Trilogy of books consider it the true sequel to the OT movies. They just felt so star wars like. Luke fought the Emperor and along with his sister defeated him.

12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017