main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TORCHWOOD

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Twinky_Stryder, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Oh no moose, they've figured out the Ianto/Jack fan secret message system.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Can it be any more pink? :p

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I thought rainbow was the secret colour system? :p

4. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    That's harder to do in a post though.

I-ay ink-thay ext-nay eek-way e-way ould-shay witch-say o-tay ig-pay atin-lay.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Pig latin is even worse.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I thought it fitted in that episode quite well, seeing as that frozen guy was going back home and Toshiko was a bit down about this, Ianto was probably wondering what he'd do if Jack went home. It didn't do much for the episode storyline but it was nice to have some Jack/Inato progression after Jack asks Ianto out on a date in the first episode and then nothing happens in the second.

Oh, and the colour of my highlights has nothing to do with the contents hidden in them, it's just more interesting than black. :p

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Another really good one 2nite. I think the stories that Davies isn't writing are the best ones.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It was sad, poor whale-thing :(

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I really didn't like this episode

Obvious gay agenda eating meat "gag" by Jack. If I'm honest if this had been on any other show where gay references weren't so rife it would have been an obvious and mildly amusing gag. In Torchwood it was an obvious "gag" inserted for an obvious reason.

The story was largely poor the only redeeming elemint IMO was the fact that Rhys now knows what Gwen does for a living and that opens a new risk factor for a loved one.

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    What the heck is the 'gay agenda'? Seriously. It seems to be just a nonsense term used by homophobes as if there's some big conspiracy going on, or so it seems.

Master-FatBurt: No offence, but I'm left wondering why you watch it as all you seem to do is complain about how you don't like it.

Completely unrelated to that, I'm very much in agreement with SithLordDarthRichie.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm no homophobe.

I really like Torchwood as well (not the last episode mind) my main gripe is that since RTD took over Dr Who and started Torchwood there has been an overly obvious gay reference in Torchwood and some Dr who.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy (29) but for me Dr Who should have NO romance element at all except for a faint allusion to the companion fancying the Dr.

Torchwood with it being new and more "adult" can cover more adult themes and include romance/sex but ther appears to be a gay message in every episode and it's just not necessary.

RTD is (I understand) a gay activist and while I feel that homosexuals need equal rights in all manners of life, I don't think he needs to emphasise his agenda in every programme he makes

12. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Absolutely dire episode, this series gets worse every week.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    =D=

Agreed. The old series Doctors never decended into such things, just because current Doctors are younger doesn't mean they should.
    Companions are there to ask the questions we want to know (what is that, who are they etc) and to assist the Doctor, not be his love interest and diverge from the fun of the stories and aliens.

He has always cared greatly for his friends, but he went a bit overboard with Rose I felt.

As for Torchwood - Is it me or is Jack much more no nonsense then he was last series?

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    But then Torchwood is Torchwood and not Dr Who. Of course Torchwood is going to have some homosexual stuff in it, two of the main characters are gay (and Jack was gay in Dr Who so it's not like it was unexpected) so you can't really avoid it.

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I don't see how Ianto is gay seeing how his ex-girlfriend was the Cyberwoman. And Jack is supposed to be "omni-sexual", which means he can get off with a girl once in a while.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree and accept that Torchwood will cover more adult themes but I don't feel it's necessary to throw in obvious homsexual remarks/jokes in a purely throwaway way. I feel the same regarding pointless heterosexual references.

Sometimes it's just not needed.

fixed!

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    You missed my point there, I think, Fatburt.

Tonight's (both of them) were interesting episodes. Intrigued by the identity of the creatures that invaded Jack's home in his childhood, and the whole memory altering thing.

Next week's was awesome. Great to see Martha come back and :eek: at what happened to Owen.

18. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Not half as intrigued as RTD who probably left the identity of the monsters vague so that he can slot them into a future episode of DW/Torchwood when he needs to. He's making it up as he goes along....

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Possibly. I always had a feeling it might be the Daleks. Jack had known about them before meeting the Doctor (Parting of Ways), and called them, "the most dangerous species in the universe". Calling the aliens, "the most horrible things you could think of" sounds Daleky to me.

Against that however, is the lack of hatred for the Daleks that Jack would show towards them had they killed his little brother.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Is BBC2 now one episode behind BBC3?

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Will be interesting to see if they can come up with a flawed and convenient way to bring Owen back to life.

I also had a suspision that the monsters would also be Daleks, but the way they were described and the way people reacted to them it didn't sound as if they were.

I swear I heard roaring and I think there were some shadows.

Also, no-one had the typical Death Ray Skeleton-Showing demise that would be present were the Daleks on the rampage.

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm hoping it's not Daleks.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, I'm not sure they can come up with something any better. The great space dustbins are iconic emotionless geonocide machines with great firpower and armour.
    I'd quite like to see them lay waste to a planet, especially as it would give an idea as to what the Time War was like.

But it will be interesting to see what the aliens are like and what they do. It does seem unlikely they are Daleks. I think Davies will not overlap the two shows that much.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Depends on whether or not Davies would show them again. If they appear, then they'll be original (no Daleks in Torchwood). If they don't, it could be that they are Daleks, seeing as we saw nobody being killed, just their bodies lying on the beach in the aftermath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.