main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Travel time between planets (specifically Coruscant and Mustafar)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by MasterSareBabe, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViridianForTheWin

ViridianForTheWin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    indeed, so is dagobah in the south west of the unknown regions

2. DarthHaggis

DarthHaggis Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    I made it from Hoth to Dagobah in just under 3 hours. And I had to stop for a bathroom break too

3. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
  4. bobvex

bobvex Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    ahhhh the wonders of film editing...

5. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I was sitting in the theater wondering this, and I knew when I got home there would be a topic devoted to it...

6. MasterSareBabe

Dec 11, 2004
    You say that like it's a bad thing. ;) You were wondering too.

7. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Instead of showing Padme sitting there, looking at her watch, staring at the streaming stars, wasting time in hyperspace - they cut to the chase and time has elapsed. Voila! She has arrived.

8. darthsebakk

darthsebakk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2003
    The film is just edit in a certain way to for cinematic purposes. In terms of how the time frame actually happens probably goes like this:

-Anakin leaves Padme to go to Mustafar. This is during the night time.

-If you watch when the Tantive IV if flying toward couruscant with obi and yoda, it appears the sun has recently risen.

-Yoda and obi-wan do there stuff at the temple, and then Yoda tells obi to 'use his feelings' to find Anakin, so he heads for Padme's apt.

-Obi meets up with Padme at her apt, probably around 'noon-ish'. Padme says she saw Anakin yesterday. Since their meeting was at night, it was probably fairly late. Possibly just before 'midnight', so it would still be 'yesterday'.

-After Obi and Padmes meeting, she heads for the landing platform, and then heads for Mustafar. This is probably an hour or so after her meeting with Obi.

-So assuming there are 24 standard hours on courscant, Padme left for Mustafar a little more than 13 hours after Anakin. If you take in to consideration the fact that her ship probably has a faster hyperdrive than Anakin's starfighter, she would end up on Mustafar soon after the slaughter occurs.

When you look at how long it takes for Sidious to get to Mustafar, you need to realize the Yoda/Sids duel is most likely happening a little after obi meets padme. However its edited with the Obi/Ani duel for a more interesting display of showing the two grand duels at the same time.
    This would put sidious leaving Coruscant later that same day as Obi/Padme. So if you take the length of the obi/ani duel and add it to how long Ani was smoldering on the sand bank -- it would put Sidious arriving when he should.

9. MasterSareBabe

Dec 11, 2004
    Wow! You've thought this through!

10. RoninEnt1

RoninEnt1 Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I also figured the trip to Bespin took months otherwise Luke's training with Yoda would have been only for a week tops.

11. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    When you look at how long it takes for Sidious to get to Mustafar, you need to realize the Yoda/Sids duel is most likely happening a little after obi meets padme. However its edited with the Obi/Ani duel for a more interesting display of showing the two grand duels at the same time.
    This would put sidious leaving Coruscant later that same day as Obi/Padme. So if you take the length of the obi/ani duel and add it to how long Ani was smoldering on the sand bank -- it would put Sidious arriving when he should.

Exactly right- they sacrificed time continuity in favour of sheer drama, and it worked.

It's not as messed up as the time issues in Empire, that's for sure.

12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    You guys have not realized this:

Space travel in Star Wars is really, really, really fast.

In Episode Five, "If the Millenium Falcon had jumepd to lightspeed she'd be halfway across the galaxy by now."

It never took very long for any lightspeed travel in any movie. Unless I'm wrong about ROTJ, but as I recall the Endor fleet leaves and gets there the same day.

No continuity errors; Star Wars isn't as slow as Star Trek.

13. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Its called fiction you guys, don't worry about it.

14. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Also yoda duel and obi ani duel was exac same time but palpie showed up on mustafar in time to keep alive ani and really only seconds after battle in book obi fled cause of that.

15. CorranH

CorranH Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    The bigest time lapse is in Empire....aparently Luke spent over a month training with yoda and the falcon traveled to bespin on sublight taking months to get ther e!!! Does that make any sense ? I think not.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, has anybody noticed how quickly Han gets the Falcon from Tatooine to Alderaan? It's less than a three minute scene, isn't it? ;)

17. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Its called fiction you guys, don't worry about it.

Agreed. Plus the timelines in all the SW movies are fairly nebulous. I think usually the reason why it takes X amount of time to travel from one place to another mainly has to do with the plot.

18. NapoleonVader

NapoleonVader Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    They went to Bespin only because they were already close by. Han was looking at a chart to see what was accessible.

19. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    My favorite line of all time from all the years of coming here has got to be "Lightspeed isn't that fast!"

First of all, its lightspeed. Lucas can make that as fast as he wants...second of all, its a friggin' movie! If we wanted to wait around for hours until Padme actually got there by your defintion of lightspeed, the movie would be a lot longer with nothing going on. Apparently, Mustafar isn't as far as you think it is. Third of all, just shut up.

20. OldMcJedifarmer

OldMcJedifarmer Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    THe biggest problem is the death star moving from Alderrann system to Yavin so fast.

Where are the engines on that thing.

21. DarthBelan

DarthBelan Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Remember from start to finish, ROTS takes place over a time span of 9 months, assuming Humans in the SW world have a pregnancy that long. Plenty of time to get from point A to point B and back.

22. Darth_Abominus

Darth_Abominus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    I've wondered the same thing, that Death star does scamper around pretty fast for such a big boy.

23. Darth_Abominus

May 17, 2005
    Not neccssarily with the nine months thing, we don't know how long Anakin was gone. Padme probably was already several months pregnant when Anakin arrived.

24. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    When you realise that Star Wars isn't science fiction, but fantasy, you'll stop worrying over such small matters as this.

Leave space travel times to the Trekkies.

25. Darth_Abominus

May 17, 2005
    I don't worry about it, I actually find it kind of humorous. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.