main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Let's just remember this, Wal-mart canceled orders and raised the price; Amazon (so far)has not. Please don't confuse the issue and bad-mouth companies that have not "screwed over" their customers. I plan to do weekly checks on my pre-order with Amazon and if I see any change in my order, I will share that information.

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, it's just a "What If?" question since LFL is known to be a little too "annoying" some times. ;) Maybe we won't sue any of the company involved if our Pre-Order get cancalled but you never know what others will do. :rolleyes:

I trust Amazon and probably the other companies will not take back the discounted price those who pre-ordered gotten and I hope they won't even if LFL told them to, so that they can continue to earn our respect. ;)

3. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    Did anyone else notice that the Overstock.com one (at $182.50) does not say that it is the LE.. they have both the $50 and $295 "versions" listed but no where on the $295 link does it say the book is the LE version. That makes me a little nervous to order it there.

EDIT: I also notices that Overstock says the title will be available for shipment 11/2005.. if it's released in Sept like it says on shop.Starwars why would anyone want to wait that long.. even with a discount?

It really stinks that Amazon's price went up.. I was going to pre-order but wanted to think about it first. I hope the price stays for those of you that did go ahead and order. I'm struggling so much with this I really REALLY want the book (LE or nothing) but I dunno about putting that kind of money in to a book... but it calls to me... ARGH!!

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I guess if you aren't sure about it you can always take into account that the LE may be harder to come by later on. If you really want it, I would suggest splurging and ordering it now. :)

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I second that. ;) Calculate how long you need to save up to afford the LE one and order it now before the other companies (Overstock, Amazon.Ca & Amazon.UK) pull out the discounted price too. If getting from Amazon, how about asking around to see if any of your friends, relatives is also ordering books from Amazon to save on basic shipping cost? Anyway, many things in life are worth some sacrifies in other area. O:)

Personally, I "technically" don't have the money to spare yet for the LE one but I know by then, I would had saved up enough and sold off enough stuffs from my collection to pay up for it. Anyway, I always have to maintain a certain amount of money in my Debit Card Account which is more than enough to pay for the book, other than the fact that I needed the book for my work later this year. :p

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it looks like you can pre-order the book (both the $50 and $295 versions) directly from the FIDM Museum shop online. They will have the book available on Sept. 12th, which is a few weeks earlier than anywhere else, but their shipping costs seem pretty high.

Out of curiosity, I went through the steps of ordering the cheaper version to see what the cost would be with 5 day UPS ground shipping and decided against it because the shipping came out to $27.50! That makes the total $77.50 for the 'cheap' one.

I double checked my Amazon pre-order for the deluxe version and it only has a shipping charge of $3.99 listed on it. So I guess I'll just be patient and wait for that one to arrive in Oct. and pick up the other copy when I visit the exhibit later on. LOL!

7. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    This thing'll be an amazing resource before I even start that kimono or the light blue ATOC tattoine dress padme's wearing

8. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    man, I wish I could go to the exhibition,... the cost of a plane ticket and night or two at a motel in LA is just overwhelming for me though since I'd have to go alone if I did go. If cameras are allowed, attendees must take lots and Lots of pics!! lol =)

9. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Someone has posted that cameras are allowed and you can bet I'll be taking my "best" sony 707 5megapixel camera with Zeiss lens and shooting at highest possible resolution.

10. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    And sharing those images with your fellow Jedi, Kai?
    ;)

11. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    there are so many details to get pics of! wow! well with everyone that will be there I'm sure that amongst all of the pics everyone takes everything that's been a mystery will be revealed lol

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just make sure your camera has the Musuem Setting or you can off the Flash cause I heard it's "Non-Flash" Photography that is allowed. ;) And remember to take close ups too from different angles.

Can't wait to see the photos! [face_dancing]

Ps: Is there a list of costumes going to FIDM?

13. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    My camera is nearly an SLR and you can bet I can control the settings! No flash, laser focusing. Got detailed photos of Charlamagne's Coronation cloak in a nearly dark museum room in Achen.
    clicky

And, of course, all photos will be on my photo host

As far as I've read, there is no list, other than "100 costumes and 'other items' from all 6 films"

14. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm glad you have such a good camera JediKai! I'll be counting on you, especially if my own pics don't turn out!!! :)

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, me too. My digital camera usually stops cooperating with me when I need it the most. *sigh/grumble*

So what would everyone like to see the most at the exhibit? Prequel era costumes?

I suppose I'm hoping for predominantly prequel era clothes, but equally balanced between all three films. And for some reason, I'm really hoping Palpatine's TPM costume will be there.

16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, my camera is awful, so I'll definitely be relying on others' pictures. If I even get to see it at all-- of course they have an exhibit in LA exactly during the three months I *won't* be in San Diego. Argh.

17. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I hadn't heard about this exhibit. What's going to be displayed? Is there a site about it? Ooooh, I can't wait to see everyone's beautiful pictures!!!

18. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I want to go soooooo bad. But my fiance and I need to save for the wedding next May, plus we're moving into a bigger apartment. Can I ship myself to someone in LA or San Diego via UPS [face_blush]?

just kidding of course ;)

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    electrakitty, there is exhibit info at the FIDM site here. :)

The exhibit should coincide with things that are in the book.

Benae, I'll share shipping charges with you if I can squeeze into the box too! :p

20. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh my goodness, that exhibit sounds amazing! Any word if it will be touring to other cities? Chances of getting to CA by December are slim.

I'd like to see a whole room of Padme costumes - especially those that haven't been in the other museum exhibits (MoM, CII, CIII). Trisha - please bring out the Picnic Dress!!! :D

Regards,
    M.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I think this is the only scheduled location for it. I certainly wish it would tour as well so that more people could see it.

And if it doesn't, there's bound to be another touring exhibit, like Magic of Myth, at some point in the future...hopefully.

22. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    anyone wanna group up?
    depending on how large the group is, there may be a discounts... =P

also, my friend suggested I try JetBlue if I was considering going, their locations are limited but the ticket round trip was about $150 less than what I found on Expedia.

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, there is the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination Exhibition starting in Boston BUT I keep hearing my future Supervisors saying that "It's small. Very Small" and as the name said, it's mostly on the Science of SW. [face_thinking]

Then again, The Art of SW Exhibition coming to Singapore may end here as it been through a long tour in Japan for the past 2-3 years so some items from it may get into Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination Exhibition. The SW Exhibition seems to have its exhibits varies between locations and the current "mood" (Post-AOTC, Pre-ROTS, Post-ROTS etc)

24. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    I'm hoping for lots of Jedi costumes. I've got wonderful brown wool for a new Jedi robe and I'm waiting to make it in hopes of seeing the real thing at FIDM. CIII exhibit didn't have any robes.

25. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I've already had one anxiety dream about my camera not working at the exhibit! And in my dream Padme's costumes turned out to be made of that stuff you make potholders out of on those little looms - like at day camp when you're a kid. It was a very strange dream.

But describing my dream isn't the reason I'm posting here! Someone named Paul sent me this link to an interview with SideShow Collectibles about the Deluxe Trisha book.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=comiccon05_galaxy&source=080505news

It addresses the swatches included in the Deluxe version. It does not
    specifically mention any Padme or Amidala costumes, but we can hope. It
    does specifically mention Vader's cloak, Obi-Wan's ROTS costume,
    handmaidens, Palpatine's ROTS robes, Neimoidians, Anakin ROTS, Zam Wessel,
    and AOTC Bail Organa. They have actual photos of the Anakin, Palpatine,
    and Obi-Wan swatch pages. The Vader cloak swatch is 4" square and the
    other swatches are 1-2" square. Very very cool!

Other bits of info - the Naboo pilot costume did not make it into the book.

Roaul Goff, who works for the publisher says, "It's important to note
    that the deluxe limited edition contains over 16 additional items. There
    are 9 booklets, some of which are: The Cantina Booklet; The CG CHaracters
    Booklet - which is a 18 page booklet that is actually printed on foil
    paper; a Classic Costumes booklet - which showcases beautiful photography
    from the Smithsonian exhibition of the original trilogy costumes; a Behind
    the Seams booklet; a small booklet of all the different head-dresses; over
    20 pictures of Darth Vader and a description of how the costume was
    originally developed; there is also a Paper Doll booklet...Another feature
    is a set of costume detail postcards with different techniques applied to
    the postcards."

Raoul also says, "Another great feature is the cummerbund wrap that goes
    around the clamshell case in the limited edition. The fabric matches the
    Episode 1 Padme costume featured on the cover of the book." So the
    cummerbund fabric looks to be from the Kimono costume! Very cool!!

Here's hoping Amazon doesn't cancel its preorders! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.