main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Twilight the Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PrincessKenobi , Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    It seems like Twilight fans are divided right down the middle where Breaking Dawn is concerned. Either they love it or they hate it. Me, I fit in the "strongly dislike" category as I have major issues with the main core of the plot, the character development and the message the series, with its final installment, seems to give.

I liked the other two, in general, though I'm not up to reading them again any time soon since Bella's narrative is getting on my nerves. I can't handle any more teen angst at the moment. :p As for how this fits into the films... the way the plot develops in New Moon, I can't see it translating on to film very well since there isn't enough action within the plot to keep a film's pacing up, IMO. Films and books are completely different mediums, what works in one won't necessarily work well in the other. New Moon deals a lot with Bella's feelings and emotions more than with her actually doing much. Eclipse would work better as a film, but you can't really make Eclipse into a movie without making the others. And if they do NM and E, then they will have to do BD to finish the story. And BD... I'm sorry to say, but I just can't picture it as a film. There is a way that it develops that just wouldn't work well on screen.

Of course, film makers have a habit of adding and extracting things from novels to make the adaption smoother, so they could work as films depending on what the director and producers envision.

2. PlagueisesApprentice

PlagueisesApprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2008
    I've never read them but my cousin and brother want me to read them and go to the movie with them is it worth it? i've heard there very simple books and they have little depth.

3. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    I read Twilight, thought it was boring, then went onto New Moon for the hecks of it, thought that Bella was awful to Jacob and she dumped him like a hot potato. Didn't even get through the first half of Eclipse, but then I went onto Breaking Dawn and thought it was the worst one. It read like a badly written fanfiction to me.

The movie looks okay - I'm not sure how good actors they are, though. Some of the scenes look rather awkward. One thing I don't get, though - Bella's supposed to be mature, but she seems really immature and whiny to me. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    That's why I said "in general." ;) But what you've said is how I'm starting to view the series, in retrospect. When I was reading them, I liked Meyer's writing style the best -- for some reason, it's terribly addictive and page-turning.

Bella is immature and whiny. Just saying. Maybe if it were written from a 3rd person perspective instead of first person, we would see her so-called "maturity", but then again, maybe not. *shrug*

I'm finding I'm getting hard and hard and more critical on the books I've read since I came to university. What is that dramatic lit class doing to me? 8-}

Anyways, with Twilight being my favourite book from the series, am I excited? No. Will I see the film? Probably. I depends whether I have time or not, with exams coming up. I am not going to judge the film until I see it -- it's difficult to grasp a concept of what it will be like from the previews and how the actors will portray the characters. At the moment, Kristen Stewart's Bella seems rather cold and I'm not sure how well the translation from the up close and personal 1st person POV in the book will go into the more distant 3rd person POV in the film.

I was going to add, the one thing I would be terribly interested in seeing from further films in the Twilight series is the story of the Quileute werewolves. That's my favourite thing of the entire series (hey, Jacob's my favourite character :p ... until the end of BD, but that's another story) and I would love to see that portrayed on film. I guess I just like werewolves better than vampires, even if the vampires are all sparkly in the sun... [face_whistling]

5. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I teach 9th grade english. I read it a few years ago and loved it. Not from a literary point of view but from the pov of the girls i teach. Why are these books so popular? Meyers tapped into something with teenage girls. From an adult female pov, Edward is creepy. He borders on stalking this poor girl who has no idea what she wants in life. Plus he is always telling her how dangerous he is to her. The adult in me says RUN the other way! But, the teenage girl in me which is still in there somewhere, finds the idea of Edward as a savior. This "boy" watches over me and loves me and protects me and has eyes only for me... uh, i mean Bella. Edward could bite the teenage girl inside of me anytime he wanted.

6. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes I totally agree.

7. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Just got back from the library wth New Moon and Eclipse!!!

Has anyone seen the trailer for Twilight that shows the fight scene beetween Bella, James and Edward (Bella to a lesser extent). I thought that from the trailer it looked way to long. In the book it was really quick...

8. DarthAnakin101

DarthAnakin101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    Is anyone else planning on going to a midnight showing?

9. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Sorry guys, I didn't mean to ignore the questions.

Pattinson has said quite a lot of negative things about Twilight the book and Stephenie Meyer as a writer.

Here are a few links:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/pattinson-gets-to-the-heart-of-stephenie-meyer-and-her-twilight-series

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20234559_20234567_20239141,00.html

http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20234559_20234568,00.html?bcpid=1859729793&bclid=1859711709&bctid=1902591169

His most famous quote:

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    It looks like Summit is only distributing to 3,200 screens.

Which means there'll be a huge "sold-out" factor this weekend, which will only prolong its success, until more prints are struck and more screens are opened, should it go stupid huge.

Even Sony apparently didn't have any idea of the size of this juggernaut, or they would have booked more screens, or at least faced the reality that the word-of-mouth Quantum of Solace is going to take an axe on the second weekend by shifting screens over. They are going to rue that 3,200 on Sunday when it hits them they could have had the first chick-flick $100M opener.

The awareness level of this film among the XX chromosome set is freakishly huge. Film sites have really blown a chance to pull in more female eyeballs by running perfunctory coverage, when they should have treated it like any "fanboy" property.

Word to the wise, single, younger straight men: find a date for this movie, because if ever a film is going to get you laid in your generation, Twilight is the one. Word to the rest: don't even think of trying to do anything else with your S.O. unless you don't value your balls too highly.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, I'm one girl who is not going to see it when it opens. I have better things to do with my time right now. Who knows when I'll see it? Perhaps I'll be one of the few teenaged girls who won't see it until it comes out on DVD. :p

12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Yeah I'm going to the midnight showing. The books are alright, but I hope the films improve Bella's character. At least try not to make her so obviously stupid.

13. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    I saw the movie at 7:eek:o last night. I loved it. Even though it can't beat the book, it was exciting, funny, romantic, and entertaining. The fans of the book (I am one) will love it. Stephenie Meyer is in the movie and you see her for about 5 seconds.

14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I loved the movie!! Saw it at Midnight and will be seeing it again this coming Wednesday with the Husband.

Twilight's not for everyone. And I'll admit, I'm the first one to say it reads like a fan fiction but a really really well written fan fiction. I just loved the Book and the movie did not let me down at all!!

I swooned and melted and squeed. I had to control squeeing because I didn't want to be rude. But every time Rob was on the screen it was magical. Everyone I thought fit their part much better then I had expected. I was so worried all the great parts were in the trailers.

See I find it funny how people are finding these things the actors said about the books now. When for the most part they have all said they couldn't put it down. Stewart in an interview said how she had the book by her bedside for 3 months straight and kept re-reading it. And Rob was more of a fan once he read Midnight Sun. And has had arguments with Stephanie herself about the character and how he interacts and views certian people. Which I found really interesting.

But yeah in short after rambling I love it!! And will see it at least 1 more time if not 10.

~PK~

15. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I still didn't get to the movie. :_|

I should get there some time this week, I'm takeing my cousin. She got me hooked on the books so I'm going to take her for her birthday. I can't wait to see it and I hear it turned ot good. :)

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Saw it yesterday, at a noon showing.

The theatre was packed. I was one of two guys in the theatre. I didn't have a date, and none of my guy friends are remotely interested. So, at the age of twenty-five, I felt like a really creepy old man.

The movie itself was good.

One of these days, I'm going to type up a long post of counter-arguments about a lot of the negative things that even the fans say about Twilight. [face_plain]

17. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    My best friend Amber was afraid we were going to be the only adults there and was surprised when we weren't. I kept telling her no, Amber there will be other adults there.

And At least you weren't the 42 year old guy that I saw at the midnight hitting on the underage girls.

We got really really lucky, because we were originally in theater 13. But one of my friends sisters decided last minute she wanted to go so we all were able to switch theaters. And the theater we switched to, was not packed at all. It was really nice. The other theater oh man, we were in our line across from it for theater 10 and were watching all the teeny boppy girls and I just knew if we had stayed there, we would of never heard the movie.

From 10 till about 5 minutes before letting us into our theater, we were the only 5 in line. The theater itself was not prepared for the movie. They kept adding barriers and barriers to contain all the girls for theater 13.

~PK~

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Like Leto said above, for some reason theatres and movie sites really don't seem to have been expecting much. Rottentomatoes.com had nothing about Twilight in their Most Anticipated section until a week or two ago. They aren't even atypical about that so far as I can see. People anticipate 15-25 year old guys wanting to see whatever new action film is out there, but the teenage girl market is potentially a lot more lucrative. They helped make Harry Potter the success it has been in theatres, and they were no small part of the reason Titanic was huge. The 10-19 year old girls and their mothers and grandmothers and great-grandmothers market does exist.

19. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    The 10-19 year old girls and their mothers and grandmothers and great-grandmothers market does exist.

As opposed to the market of 10-19 year old boys and their fathers and grandfathers? ;) Only no one really raises an eyebrow when a male audience-targeted film does well because that's normal.

It's really amusing the constant surprise that is shown that a movie is doing well/expected to do well because roughly 50% of the population is interested in it. :cool:

Really? Rob Pattinson?s negative comments aren?t just recent sayings. He?s been speaking against Twilight, Meyer and his character almost from the moment the actors starting their publicity outings. He had to tell Meyer on live TV that he did not leak Midnight Sun. As for Stewart, she has said in interviews that she ?thought of walking away from the series just to mess with people?s heads.? It took her three months to finish reading Twilight (not to re-read it as you said) and she?s not interested in reading the other books because she?s not ?as obsessed as the fans?. People have actually praised both actors for being ?honest? about their reservations about the movie and book.

20. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    So I have a really quick question for whoever already saw the movie:

Was it too girly for me to see? The trailer makes it look awesome, but the people I talked to said it was a little girly for them? So, should I, a guy, go and see the movie today? I want to see it bad, but I don't want to go sit in a chick flick...

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Rough translation:
    "How old are you?"
    "17"
    "How long have you been 17?"
    "much longer"

"It's wrong, She's not one of us"

"I'm not afraid of you"

3 days before the movie came out, one of my friends, a high-school teacher, had students with home-made "Team Edward" T-shirts in his class. He wanted to sent them out of the room to change. Guess he doesn't like the books?

Silly teeny-boppers.

22. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    It is but it isn't to girlie. Took the husband to see it with me for my 2nd showing. And he didn't hate it. He didn't like it to much. But he could see how people would like it.

~PK~

23. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I just got back from twilight. I have to say...

...It was made of nothing but awesome!!!!! It got a little girly at times, but other than that I LOVED it! :D

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Rob Pattinson?s negative comments aren?t just recent sayings. He?s been speaking against Twilight, Meyer and his character almost from the moment the actors starting their publicity outings. He had to tell Meyer on live TV that he did not leak Midnight Sun. As for Stewart, she has said in interviews that she ?thought of walking away from the series just to mess with people?s heads.?[/link] It took her three months to finish reading Twilight (not to re-read it as you said) and she?s not interested in reading the other books because she?s not ?as obsessed as the fans?. People have actually praised both actors for being ?honest? about their reservations about the movie and book.

I am quite glad to hear that, actually. It means that they have given their characters a lot of thought, which is good. I don?t know how Stewart and Pattison build up their characters, but it?s interesting to know that they?re playing roles that they seem to not be overly fond of. I haven?t run into a situation where the actors in a movie based on a book aren?t big fans of the novel, so this is different.

I saw the film last Friday and left a review in the Amphitheatre. I?m being lazy, so I?m reposting it here with some modifications. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.