main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Props to Chicago's Sam Kerr for becoming the first NWSL player to score 50 goals. Pocketed three against Sky Blue, her former club that is currently in the midst of a historically terrible season. In the postgame, Kerr said she wished she could have stayed in NJ, but her comments (along with finances, and results) signify that that club will fold when Carli Lloyd retires or leaves - her presence is the only reason for revenue. They are terribly coached and managed, and have a boatload of young talent that is being wasted.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    USWNT Tournament of Nations rosters announced. Matches are:

Thursday, July 26 - Kansas City, Kansas
    Brazil vs. Australia | 4:15 p.m. ET
    USA vs. Japan | 7 p.m. ET | FS1

Sunday, July 29 - East Hartford, Connecticut
    Japan vs. Brazil | 4:15 p.m. ET
    USA vs. Australia | 7 p.m. ET | FS1

Thursday, August 2 - Bridgeview, Illinois
    Australia vs. Japan | 5:45 p.m. ET
    USA vs. Brazil | 8:30 p.m. ET | FS1

GOALKEEPERS (3): Adrianna Franch (Portland Thorns FC; 0/0), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride; 16/0), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars; 29/0)

DEFENDERS (7): Abby Dahlkemper (North Carolina Courage; 19/0), Tierna Davidson (Stanford; 8/0), Jaelene Hinkle (North Carolina Courage; 8/0), Merritt Mathias (North Carolina Courage; 1/0), Becky Sauerbrunn (Utah Royals FC; 139/0), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars; 21/0), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC; 17/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Chicago Red Stars; 75/6), Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars; 61/15), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC; 51/5), Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit; 8/2), Carli Lloyd (Sky Blue FC; 254/100), Samantha Mewis (North Carolina Courage; 36/7), Allie Long (Seattle Reign FC; 39/6), McCall Zerboni (North Carolina Courage Courage; 2/0)

FORWARDS (7): Crystal Dunn (North Carolina Courage; 64/23), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC; 133/19), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride; 142/86), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash; 3/1), Christen Press (Utah Royals FC; 100/44), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC; 137/37), Amy Rodriguez (Utah Royals FC; 131/30)

Hinkle being called up at the expense of Huerta just ****ing sucks.

Looks like a roster built for three at the back.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Some thoughts on the call up of Hinkle, and the message that sends the LGBTQ+ community.

I would not want to be a teammate who happens to be LBGTQ+, and be asked to take the field next to her. But that's just my opinion.

4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I share it. There is no more impactful player on this team than Megan Rapinoe, been that way for years.

Isolating her by calling up this neanderthal to sit on the bench is yet another example of Ellis and the decision-makers taking what should be a championship side and adding unnecessary chaos and confusion to the equation.

Jedi Knight Fett and Juliet316 like this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Jill Ellis. Is a Lesbian. Married to her partner. And is somehow okay with calling a woman who thinks it's "religious freedom" to not wear a uniform celebrating pride month. Because jaysus hates gay people, but "she's not homophobic" ... my head hurts.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ToN starts tonight - US vs Japan at 7p EDT. Hinkle didn't make the final 23, nor did Kealia Ohai (Dash captain/JJ Watt's significant other).

I feel like supporting the USWNT is the last and only area in which I am fervently patriotic. Let's go US of A.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Easier to do without Hinkle there.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rapinoe-Morgan-Press is incredible.

Back four look shaky. Dahlkemper and Davidson don't seem to communicate well.

Tobin got broken down on that goal, but this is her first big competition coming off of multiple injuries - just good to see her back. She is so dynamic on the ball.

Need to watch Australia- sounds like they were really something against Brazil.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Jill Ellis is a tactical contemporary of Charlie Weis.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Late one tonight, 11 PM EDT, US vs. Chile from the Stubhub Center in LA.

Lots of injuries for the Americans, namely Rapinoe. Pugh, O'Hara, and Lavelle all on the shelf, too - so much speed, we're without. Imagine we'll see Dunn opposite Tobin on the wing.

100th USWNT cap for Press, which will hopefully mean 90 minutes of playing time for her.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Thorns beat the Rapinoe-less Reign 3-1 tonight in front of a packed house in Portland (was switching between this and the WNBA game) - the win earned them the runback next weekend, at home in Portland, again against the Reign, for a spot in the finals.

Horan scored two, Tobin dropped in a corner on a dime to set up the third goal.

Rapinoe and Allie Long should both return for next week - if you watch any NWSL game this year, that's probably the one I'd pick. There's a chance Sam Kerr goes beast mode and Chicago gets past North Carolina, but it's doubtful.

Final will also be in Portland - even with home field, the Courage are going to be tough. They won in Portland earlier this year, easily, while Heath was out with injury.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

if you're not doing anything, support a great team tonight that doesn't perennially disappoint.

crappy that it's been relegated to FS2 by playoff baseball, but understandable.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The nice thing is if you have FS1 on your cable package, you can access the game through Fox Sports Go App, even if you don't pay for a package that has FS2.

Sadly, I don't have any cable package, so I'm left to try to figure out how to watch.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Fox Soccer Matchpass, maybe? Though definitely Google around to make sure they carry it, first, the non-Bundesliga coverage in that app is strange.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I subscribe to Fox Soccer Match Pass, which lists "CONCACAF World Cup Qualification" as something they will carry for the 2018-19 season, as well as USWNT games, but this isn't on their schedule. FSMP is how I watch BuLi and Libertadores.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Hm. Unfortunately every other option I can think of is "Well this or that $40+/month cord cutting service has FS2..." and that seems... steep.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've thought about doing my free week of something like YouTube TV this week, so I can watch the ALDS, too.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I mean, depending on how you stand, reddit can prove to be useful for certain. I had to use it myself yesterday, and watched a deeply flawed match on a flawless stream on my phone.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Full qualifying schedule for all of you good people posting in here:

[​IMG]

starfish likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm also irrationally worried about ending another group stage in WCQ with a match against T&T.

Ramza and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    full strength, i think this team will do well. lots of depth and speed coming off of the bench, and o'hara's leadership at the back will be invaluable - it's been noticeably missed during her long recovery. dahlkemper's talented, sauerbrunn's experienced, but neither are leaders. o'hara's been that player since johnston/ertz moved up to midfield and ali krieger's role with the national team has diminished.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    flexing muscles in the second half. pugh on for heath, just in case mexico hasn't been worn out already.

nice start to qualifying.

DarthIntegral and Ramza like this.
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    A Triple Dos a cero?

That'll do

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Two wickq goals for the US. Nice to see them not messing around and just taking care of business. And, nice to see they've now made this available - without announcers, even better - on FSMP

Make it three. Oh that poor keeper from Panama

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018