main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VADER EPISODE 1: SHARDS OF THE PAST - A STAR WARS THEORY FAN-FILM

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Tycalibur, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I already have seen videos being posted about this bashing Disney. Even if Disney isn't directly responsible for this, people will use it as fuel against them. Yeah he should have gotten the music cleared if he didn't.

2. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    A sensible move. An actual written response to the fans from Lucasfilm or Disney PR department would have been nice, but at least they dealt with the issue relatively quickly.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    So basically everything I said would happen, has happened. But, he continues to blame Disney because he knows that's where the traffic is. His fans eat it up.

A non-Disney entity claims his video. Either Disney or a Disney entity tell them to chill. Disney still gets crapped on. What a time to be alive.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  5. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Good video about why this thing is a massive overreaction. Plus calling BS on him saying the video made between $80-100k in revenue.

6. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah, that number is ludicrous. 6.5m views on a 15 minute video wouldn't get anywhere near that much.

7. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    The old, jaded man sees this as damage control.
    I'm hoping it's more than that.

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    ? You didn't say anything would happen. You have just been disrespecting this guy, while praising a giant corporation. If people see a corporation go against one person who is like them, in an act of what can be seen as greed, then of course some of those people will overeact, and word of mouth will change the details that other people hear. SWT has just thanked Lucasfilm and asked star Wars fans to give some good will to them too. What more does he need to do? Really Lucasfilm and Disney should have been thanking him for his dedication as a fan of their ip, the video should have had an article written about it on their website. These are their customers and they should be following what they are liking and talking about, and then they should be acknowledging these things. Lucasfilm especially needs to reconnect with these fans.

9. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    This topic has been discussed all over the place. I said the issue was probably that he didn't clear the music with Warner, but that if he had a real agreement with Disney/LFL then they would get the claim pulled. I said that once it was pulled, his fans would continue to bash Disney and claim that they only pulled the claim because of backlash. And that's exactly what happened.

In his newest video he continues to say it was Disney that claimed his video and that LFL ordered Disney to pull the claim. That is literal nonsense. First of all, Disney didn't file the claim and secondly, LFL doesn't order Disney to do anything. That's not how that relationship works.

Either Disney or LFL told Warner Chappell to pull the claim (almost certainly someone at Disney since I doubt LFL would have any authority in these matters). But telling his fans that Disney didn't do anything wrong, and probably even helped him out, doesn't get his fans riled up.

And you've got it VERY backwards...He should be thanking Disney for letting him build a career off of their IP. That's not something everyone is willing to do.

10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I too was wondering where this “prediction” was located?

Anyways, props to Lucasfilm for pulling the claim. This is a Day to acknowledge sound thinking prevailing.

Tusken Slayer and bluealien1 like this.
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You are making stuff up. You don't know who he has talked to. You are assuming that he has lots of fans that hate disney. And you didn't say anything about Lucasfilm getting this sorted to avoid more bad PR.
    Disney may not have made the claim but ultimately they are responsible, their name is on the claim and that is what people saw, that is enough to create the bad publicity. and SWT had to show that so that people knew that he hadn't monetized the video himself.

And I don't have it very backwards at all. We are the consumers. Lucasfilm is the provider. The provider wants as many happy consumers as possible. If a consumer is creating good publicity for the provider then they should be thankful for that. Even if that consumer is creating profit from creating the good publicity. If a consumer is profiting from creating bad publicity for the providers product, well that is a sign that there is now something wrong with the product.

Alexrd likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That isn't how copyright works.

13. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    Maybe he is just confused or doesn't realize that Warner Chappell isn't owned by Disney. John Campea also said Warner Chappell is a subsidiary of Disney. Many people seem to think this and it's false. Warner Chappell is a subsidiary of Warner Music Group.

Basically a 3rd party came in and claimed the film based, then Lucasfilm came in and said they have a stronger claim on the film since they own the rights to the story and characters it is based on. Much more substantial then "We own the rights to a few seconds of music in the film".

Fifi Kenobi and Outsourced like this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would very much like to know the source regarding the claim that Disney didn't do it. The fact is that a claim was made, and the companies mentioned are:

UBEM, Warner Chappell, AMRA, UMPI, Walt Disney Music Company (Publishing), and PEDL

Why some are cherry picking and single out Warner Chappell is beyond me. The reason people have mentioned Disney, is because Disney is the actual owner of the content claimed. That Disney has licensing agreements with other companies doesn't change that fact. Warner Chappell didn't get a license without them knowing and likewise, they (or any other company mentioned) couldn't make the claim without them knowing either. So at the end of the day, wether they made the claim or not, they were aware of it and are (at least) partially responsible for it.

Didn't do anything wrong? But wasn't the argument that nothing wrong was done to begin with? What did they help him with if nothing wrong was done at all?

"Build a career"?! It's a fan film. There's no career to begin with. Nobody is making a living off of anything except Disney.

They dropped the claim, they didn't make a stronger claim. And they were able to drop the claim because they are the ones who own the content that was claimed. Warner Chappell isn't owned by Disney, nobody said it was. All that was said is that they are mentioned in the claim because they have a licensing agreement with Disney (the owner, who is obviously also mentioned) over the claimed content.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  15. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    We're singling out Warner Chappell because they manage the licensing for Disney's music. And according to SWT himself, they are the ones with whom his network had correspondence with. They told his network they claimed it. And to assume Disney was aware of it, is not an assumption I'm willing to make. What an awful licensing agreement it would be if Warner had to check in with Disney every time they made a claim. Would sort of defeat the purpose of offloading those responsibilities to Warner in the first place.

I'm not sure what world you live in where something wrong has to be done in order to help someone out. Even if Disney had claimed it for the sole purpose of profiting off of their own IP, there would have been nothing wrong with that. But their assistance in getting the ads removed, helps SWT's channel.

Making SW content is literally SWT's career. This fan-film has been a major boost to his stature in said profession.

Edit: Also, just a note, I see that my statements predicting how this would unfold were in the youtube comments of SWT's first video on the subject and not on this site.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, not at all. It's perfectly natural for the rights holder to be aware (and demand to be aware) how and where the licensees are using the license. Being aware is not the same as being asked permission.

What? Your argument was that nothing wrong was done to begin with. Why would they need to tell fans that Disney didn't do anything wrong? Not only that, by claiming that they helped, it means there was a problem to begin with.

It's not them and those who complained that are in contradiction with themselves.

It helped in regards to damage control. The ones affected were them. The channel was not profiting either way. The viewers were the ones getting ads.

What profession? He has a Star Wars fan site and makes videos with Star Wars topics. No different than many other people. He's independent, he didn't get any help from Disney, he doesn't work for Disney, he doesn't need permission from Disney to have a fan site and make Star Wars fan videos, so he doesn't owe them anything regarding his career (whatever it is).

What does belong to Disney he can't profit from, can't build a career around it or make a living out of it. And if he has success, it's because enough people care about his content and his take on things, not Disney's.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm not talking about copyright or the movie that he made there. I'm talking about him profiting from his usual videos about Star Wars. You know, freedom of speech? He doesn't have to thank Disney for that.

18. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, I'm sure they're aware in the sense that they have a system in place to track this kind of stuff. But not in the sense that someone is involved with it. A company like Disney probably has a gajillion copyright claims filed on their behalf everyday.

He should tell his fans that Disney didn't do anything wrong because he started the conversation by saying that they did do something wrong. And now, they still believe Disney did something wrong. And again, help does not require a wrong.

The removal of ads helps him with viewer retention.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He explains in the first video that he asked Lucasfilm if he could monetize the film.

But making SW videos is his career.

That's not what freedom of speech is.

The way I see it, the guy is obviously passionate about Star Wars, and he made a great little fan film. But his handling of this situation hasn't been the best (no, neither has Warner/Chapell's), and I still hope that this whole mess won't have consequences for the future of the fan film community. Thankfully it seems we dodged that bullet this time.

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It is part of it. Free speech. His opinions are owned by him and he is allowed to voice them without being censored or having to pay.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, everyone is (or should be, rather) free to express themselves in any way they see fit. However, him making a living off of talking about Star Wars could easily be construed as copyright infringement (as would fan films - Lucasfilm has simply always be gracious enough to let us play in the universe they own), and copyright infringement is excluded from freedom of speech.

Also, freedom of speech usually refers to the government not being able to silence you, and Disneyland has yet to become an actual country so... :p

My apologies - I took us off topic. Not setting a good example here, am I?

Outsourced likes this.
  22. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm curious what people think Warner Chappell should have done in this situation. Surely they have an obligation to Disney (and everyone else whose music they manage) to file these claims whenever they come across them.

23. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I don't fault Warner Chappell for placing the claim on his video. It was their right to do so. After following this situation, I have come to the conclusion that SWT didn't do the proper research to begin with. If he had done the research and explored each and every avenue, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Outsourced likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Career as in, makes a living out of it? With the exception of the fan film (which he can't profit from), he makes videos about Star Wars. Not the same thing.

No, it couldn't. There's no copyright infringement over talking about a certain IP, product or whatever. The review industry makes a living doing just that. The talk is your content (irrespective of the subject matter). You are providing your opinion, your insight, your take on something.

You can copyright your opinions about Star Wars. They are yours, not Disney's. Disney owns Star Wars.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    What? You can't copyright opinions.

TCF-1138 likes this.