main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was that REALLY a reactor shaft Palpatine fell down in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BlueYogurt, Jan 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Are there actually nuclear reactors in SW? I wasn't aware that that was a thing in "canon".

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Some Star Wars reactors are portrayed as "nuclear fusion" or "artificial stars" - the term "solar ionization reactor" is often interpreted as "artificial star" by writers. The Death Star's is typically called a hypermatter reactor, but the hypermatter may simply be amplifying the fusion component of the reactor. Coaxium, for example, from Solo, is portrayed as a form of hypermatter that can boost engines to immense power.

"Solar ionization reactor uses hypermatter to create a miniature star":

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Solar_ionization_reactor

"Hypermatter ionization reactor is elaboration of solar ionization reactor"

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hypermatter_annihilation_reactor

"Coaxium as a form of hypermatter that increases power of engines"

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Coaxium

"Fusion reactors AKA fusion generators exist in Star Wars"

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Fusion_generator

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Not in the way we’d know it, but I’m sure they’ve got factories that harness whatever it is that fuels the ships.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  4. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I thought the Death Star 2's reactor was fueled by ewoks. I mean, they're cheap and abundant. Wasn't that the reason the empire built the DS in the Endor system?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Alpha-Red and BlackRanger like this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Some relevant discussion from a while ago.

6. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    It's all subterfuge and misdirection.

The explosive force seen rising up from the shaft was shock waves from Lando destroying the actual DS reactor. Palpatine fell down the shaft into the reactor core and landed atop the Falcon as it raced away from the destruction. Once out in space (and able to survive in the vacuum ala Leia), he let go and simply flew away into the chaos of the destruction of the DS and the attending battle to picked up by nearby allies and then departed for safety.

Because Palps, if anything, had plans within plans within plans with all sorts of contingencies. :p

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  8. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    The nerd is strong in you

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    If he isn’t a nerd, he doesn’t belong here. :p Nerds and geeks only in this forum. xD

10. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    He's the lord of the geeks.
    I won't call myself a nerd.I hate fantasy and sci-fi but i love Star Wars Lol.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Oh, see, I was under the impression the "reactor shaft" was just a euphemism for the Death Star's giant septic tank. It was a Tuesday after all, and as well all know every Tuesday on the Death Star is Taco Tuesdays....and Palps loves him some Taco Bell.

Sarge likes this.
  12. macrobinoculars

macrobinoculars Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2021
    The novelization describes it as "the vast, seemingly bottomless shaft to the power core" and "the black chasm leading to the power core". This is notable, since the novelization is a very straightforward adaptation of the script at some point just before filming.

However, shooting script pages with rewrites dated Feb 2, 1982 describe Luke defeating Vader over "a vast elevator shaft", while other pages dated January 4, 1982 describe Vader throwing the Emperor down "the abyss at the central core of the Throne Room". Note that "central core" here does not refer to the DS as a whole - it just means it's in the middle of the room.

That page also says "Finally when the body is far down the shaft, it explodes", implying that (for some reason) the Emperor doesn't even need to reach the bottom of the shaft to cause the "rush of air". He just...explodes? From bouncing off the sides of the shaft? It's very unclear.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, Sheev exploded because he was using so much Dark Side to fuel his Force lightning that he got himself into a feedback loop and just kept zapping until he overloaded. It's like the Dark Side is a mean big brother saying "Stop zapping yourself! Stop zapping yourself!" In the end, it's nothing but a big bully, and bullies always get their comeuppance.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    It was either a shaft or the GFFA equivalent of Blazing Saddles "fourth wall" :p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  15. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    You are one of us. :D

16. Clone Boi Crash

Clone Boi Crash Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2022
    If he did fall into the main reactor, just imagine piloting and X-Wing through it and seeing Palps falling to his death. I think the scene would be like this:
    "Look! It's the Emperor!" - X-Wing Pilot
    "EAAEAAAAAAAAA"

LedReader likes this.
  17. Clone Boi Crash

Clone Boi Crash Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2022
    Ok so since my internet went out the exact time I tried to post, it double posted, so I rewrote the duplicate explaining why (which is this one)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, that happens sometimes, don't worry about it.

19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    At least in the movie it's not said directly what that shaft is, and where it leads to. But I agree with those arguments that he couldn't have fallen all the way straight to the core in such a short time.
    That said, I wouldn't take anything in TROS as an explanation. It simply isn't consistent enough with the Lucas trilogies. Come on, let's face it, we have all seen the DSII destroyed, completely obliterated, atomized, whatever, in ROTJ. There is simply no way such a huge piece of it could have survived intact and then landed on another moon. I am certainly able to suspend disbelief to a certain point. But THIS is just taking things too far. :rolleyes:

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Is the Pope Catholic? Is the sky blue? Is water clear? :p

21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Yes, it's a reactor shaft. I don't know if we know exactly where it leads to.

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Dude fell all the way to Exegol.

Darth Dnej and Alpha-Red like this.
  23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Occam's razor / principle of parsimony. Locking Thread.

Subtext Mining likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.