main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by EDKRIEG, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The movie made me not want to read the comic. It removed/destroyed any interest I had in the source material. While I had heard of the comic, and that it was good, I'd never read it and was mildly curious. My curiousity is dead and buried, with a parking lot and a walmat built above it. Anything that does that much damage cannot be good for the reputation of the source.
    By contrast, The Dresden Files TV show was almost nothing like the books it was based on, but still mildly entertaining, and got me interested in the books. While not accurate in most respects, it still did justice to the material.
    The Seeker: The Dark is Rising was a horrible, horrible movie, but I am mildly curious about the books given the extreme reaction of the fan base. Probablly didn't do justice to the books, beyond raising awareness of them.
    Warlock, the movie staring Julian Sands, was actually far better than the book (the author's more juvenile and purient fantasies were removed. It more than did justice to the source material.
    That is the standard by which I judge.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The phrase "did justice to" connotes knowledge of and a comparison with the source material, so you're not using that standard in Watchmen's case.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I humbly sit corrected for using a different turn of phrase.

How about "did not present in an appealing of interesting mannor" or "defamed source material"?

4. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    I?m new to the franchise myself and the first time I watched Watchmen was the other day on my new DC DVD. I?m now on my second viewing, since I found it a tad hard to follow the first time round. WOW, superheroes go arthouse! It?s been done for Sci-Fi with 2001 and Blade Runner, but this must be the first time it?s ever been done for superheroes, if you can call them "heroes", that is. Did someone say it was left wing? What, hacking open the head of a child murderer and shooting pregnant women dead is classed as "left wing" in the US?! :confused: Boring? But I don?t think it?s supposed to be just another episode of The Flash. Maybe the person who said that should pursue more "low brow" movies to watch. ;) Me? I think the more I watch it and the more I understand the plot the more it'll grow on me, just like I did with Blade Runner.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    You have to read the novel to better understand it's left wing tendancies.

6. sapphire_eyes

sapphire_eyes Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2005
    Never read the novel. Loved the film adaptation of 300, so I figured I'd give Watchmen a shot. Hated it. I have never been so bored during a superhero film. The only redeeming qualities were Billy Crudup's glowing blue penis and the last 20 minutes of the movie. The sex scene set to "Hallelujah" just made me laugh.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was meant to be amusing.

8. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah the sex scene was always meant to be awkward, and is depicted as such in the book.

Got this on Blu Ray but haven't watched it yet, just seen it at the cinema

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.