main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    odds are that the Pacific Cyclones will take the Cup this year anyway.

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, early predictions are saying the Pacific is going to get clobbered again this year. I think due to El Nino (that was one concept I never quite grasped in my Meteorology class.) I have to say it's a bit unnerving to see a tropical storm this early.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I ran a 5K in the remnants of Ana. It wasn't too bad. The humidity slowed me down but the drizzle helped keep me cooled off.

That was in Raleigh; at home nothing happened.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, we got really nothing here either. Hopefully that's an indication of how the rest of the season will shake out.

5. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Right now, the El Nino seems like it might rival the intensity of 1997-98, which was historic for the Pacific but very slow for the Atlantic basin. Ana shouldn't be indicative of future seasonal activity; five tropical cyclones had formed by mid-July in '97, far above that of the usual of one... and then only three formed after that, in the climatological busy months.

Conclusion? This season's gonna be a dud. My prediction for our seasonal totals are 9/3/1, although I wouldn't be surprised if no major hurricanes formed at all this year. However, Hurricane Andrew formed during the intense El Nino year of 1992 (in which the first storm formed in April, unusually enough), one of the best examples of 'it only takes one.'

6. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Always something to be worried about for me as I live in a zone highly prone to get whacked by one of them hurricanes.

[​IMG]

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, Cuba sure got smaller since rapprochement with the U.S.

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    can't currently edit for some reason, so double post

the noaa website is good too, they do a monthly report on the possible severity of el nino

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    A vote for NOAA's hurricane center page. Looks like there's potential for a couple of storms in the Pacific. Seems like their season never ends lately. :(

And wunderground is a daily visit for me.

11. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    I'd also highly recommend storm2k.org. It's the Jedi Council Forums of hurricanes. The NHC website is like starwars.com. ;)

12. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    There are two storms on the Pacific beside each other at the moment. A tropical storm and a hurricane category 3. They're expecting the tropical storm to turn into a hurricane sometime tomorrow.

I agree with Darth_Dreadwar, this year hurricane season for the Atlantic will be a dud unless one actually breaks through, but it'll take a category four or five in order for that happen. Every eye on the Atlantic is so far being pushed back out to sea before it has to chance to even gain strength. I've already seen a few on the radar try but were unsuccessful.

13. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Andres and Blanca have been interesting. There's definite indications the Eastern Pacific might be entering a climatological cycle that is equivalent to the Atlantic's busy period, such as last year's historic season and now two Category 4 hurricanes early in the season. Blanca rapidly weakening and then restrengthening to a major hurricane were both developments that entirely defied forecasts, and Andres was forecasted to peak as a Category 1 as well.

14. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
  15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Erica forecast to reach hurricane strength over the Bahamas by Saturday, could be the first hurricane in a decade to hit the U.S. coast. CNN "correspondents" dusting off the red windbreakers and popping champagne bottles.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Great... Why does this **** always happen close to my birthday?

Edit: And it's Erika, not Erica this year, Jabba.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    maybe it will be one of those things that takes a sharp right turn and glides along the coast for a while before heading back into the Atlantic.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hmph. Jinx.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Maybe it will follow you wherever you go, wherever you run, wherever you try to hide, no matter how far you travel to try and escape it.

jp-30 and Point Given like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't have a birthday in the middle of hurricane season, Jules.

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    an earthquake in the middle of the night that caused no damage? i can see why you still think about that near coincidence sixteen years later.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I can't help it, I'm fascinated to a fault about earthquakes; have some interesting memories from a few of them (counting that night, for it was powerful enough to wake up me & the rest of the immediate family, who almost wasted no time in commenting on how close I was to a birthday quake).

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It has rained on my birthday.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    [face_plain]