main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm reading Gone South by Robert McCammon again, and then I'm thinking of rereading his Swan Song.

2. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm reading Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice.

3. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    Re-reading Ruin thru Balance Point to "refresh" my memory before Conquest comes up.

4. Casta

Casta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabrie Garcia Marquez, which is an amazing book.

I read it with mixed feelings, not about the book, but about the story itself. It's quite difficult to insulate oneself from the tears and joy of the characters.

5. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I really should do what joyada is doing. I just did my HSC last year (for those who don't live in australia, which is a lot, thats the final set of exams in your final year of high school) and as I read a lot of those books DURING the exams periods or when studying (stupid I know, but I am weak :) )I've just realised I've forgotten a lot of stuff. There's massive gaps in my memory of these books. I have never experienced this before, and Its quite worrying. I assume its info-overload.

RIght now, however, I'm reading the xwing series again. I'm up to isards revenge, and corran just got taken out by a chip missile.

6. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I also tend to forget large amounts of books that I have read. I do not think that it is an uncommon problem. I read the Thrawn trilogy about three years ago and all that I can really remember is that I liked the book and I thought Thrawn was cool. I don't worry about it though.

7. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    Actually, darthjarjarbinks, its Joyoda as in Master Yoda, not "yada" like yada, yada, yada. :)
    Now I see what Valiento is always complaining about! :D

8. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    hehe, sorry joyoda. i should pay more attention to names.

9. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Currently reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. After that comes one of three novels: Be Cool by Elmore Leonard (it's the Get Shorty sequel), The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice, or 1984 by George Orwell. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which I should read next?

10. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    1984 is great. If you're looking for good fantasy, I recommend "The Last Dragonlord" and "Dragon and Phoenix" by Joanne Bertin. "Rhapsody" by Elizabeth Haydon is excellent as well.

I'm a little undecided on what to read, too. I'm looking at either Salvatore's "Echoes of the Fourth Magic," Cunningham's "Daughter of the Drow," or Claremont/Lucas' "Shadow War" series (the sequels to "Willow"). I've read the first two "Shadow" books and just got the third. I also plan to pick up Cunningham's "Thornhold," but I just can't decide which of these to dig into next!

11. TheBiggerFish

TheBiggerFish Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Books i've read in the last 5 days are:

Shadow of a Dark Queen
    Rise of a Merchant Prince, Both in the SerpentWar saga of Raymond E Feist

Assasin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb, Farseer Trilogy

The Outcast (cant remember author)

I'm starting bk 3 of SerpentWar tomorrow (Rage of a Demon King)

I'm not one to read books twice (except the ones i really loved eg:Zahn's Thrawn ones
    Han Solo trilogy (fave is Hutt Gambit)) So i move on pretty fast. The only SW books i haven't read are those piddly little 'Galaxy of Fear'things, YoungJedi Knights (i'll get around to em eventually) and Splinter of the Mind's eye, but i dont see much point in reading that last one.

Ive heard a lot of people bagging out Young Jedi Knights, is it worth my time and money? or should i just leave it?

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye is great, why would you skip it if you can obviously read pretty fast?

13. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I'm reading a book called 'Obsession' by John Douglas. He's an FBI profiler and the book is basicly about how to deal with stalkers. It's pretty good.

14. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Vittorio the Vampire was great! I loved it!!

15. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    2061: Odyssey Three. This is the third time I've read it. I love Clarke.

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Cardinal of the Kremlin
    Tom Clancy

17. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Well at the moment I have nothing to read. And I hate that.Well nothing that I haven't already read.

I just finished 'Hannibal' which I loved. Whoever is reading 'The Red Dragon', I think you'll like it. Its very good.

I went to go to my local library and either get 'Hearts in Alantis' by Stephen King or check out Martin like some of you had suggested. Well they didn't have the book by King and they had 1 Martin book which was like in the middle of a series.

Now I could have had them inter-library loan a copy for me, but I don't want to wait a week or so for it to get here. Ok, I'm just ranting now.

Well to bring an end to my tale, I have 2 books I have already read out. 'I,Jedi' by Stackpole and the short story 'Side Trip' by Zahn and Stackpole. Hehehe..I needed to get my Corran and Thrawn fix. ;-) I would have preferred to read the x-wing series again, but those books are at my parents house.

**shrugs**

Oh well.

**steps down from her soapbox**

Calli~

18. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Well, I just picked up "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" and "Quidditch Through the Ages" by J. K. Rowling. They're bitty little things, but pretty funny, and they'll keep me until I decide what to read next. I really need to get "Thornhold," and I saw a cool-looking book called "Fortress in the Eye of Time" by C. J. Cherryh which I may have to check out.

19. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Im reading David Weber's Worlds of Honor (3) - Changer of Worlds. Talk about an amazing story line!!!

I have to push it, READ HONOR HARRINGTON books by David Weber. They are amazing. The first book is "On Basilisk Station"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067157793X/qid=985793925/sr=1-8/ref=sc_b_9/102-6966753-4898558

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    This thread!

Seriously, re-reading Tyrant's Test while waiting for Conquest.

21. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm reading Shadow Hunter.

It's very good so far :)

22. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    I started Elaine Cunningham's "Daughter of the Drow" last night.

23. Sithflame

Sithflame Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    Nothing. I'm eagerly awaiting EoV:C.

24. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    How many books are you supposed to read at one time? I am currently reading 6. I finally got a hold of a copy of 'Ender's Game' it's very interesting but I like it so far.

25. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    We should really decide between this and the other "What are you reading?" thread...I get confused. Oh, well.

I finished Cunningham's "Tangled Webs" last night and started on "Conquest" today. So far, so good. I dig Keyes' writing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.