main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What Books Should Get a Comic Adaption?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonegeek, Feb 2, 2024.

1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Before the move (back) to Marvel I was always hoping Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future would get an adaptation, to go along with the Thrawn Trilogy ones.

2. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I wish they wouldn't adapt any. I think it's a waste of ink and paper. Tell us new stories.

The one exception I might make are Ascendancy books, but I would rather we get a proper RPG sourcebook on the Chaos, or better yet a comic that follows Ar'alani by Zahn. I've felt Zahn should have transitioned to comics after Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight; the Hand of Judgment books would have worked a lot better that way.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    JAT, NJO, I also think James Lueno's work would be good too, the PT stuff (labyrinth of evil, Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader, Cloak of Deception, Darth plagueis), as it would be great to see them beyond the minds eye darth plagueis I think could really work with using different art styles for the different 'sides of the Muun and Palps', more abstract when they are Sithing while more normal in the mundane world. Shatterpoint would also be fun, heck I think all of the CWMMP could be great.

Comics aren't just pictures but also artistic, lean into that and it can really add to things.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This is actually a really good idea.

Buffy, Angel and Firefly carried on their Seasons as comics, after all.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Are the Firefly ones all canon?

(also the buffy ones got weird i remember her getting superpowers and "fighting" someone who also had superpowers.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    The closest we got was the Specter of Thrawn mini-series that was announced in the fall of 1997 and was set to bridge the two novels before it was cancelled. I still remember the excitement I felt when I read the news in Star Wars Insider when it was announced as an early 1998 release alongside Jedi Academy: Leviathan (initially titled Leviathan of Corbos) and Crimson Empire.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Pretty sure they are, yup.

8. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, not that good idea. While "Leaves on the Wind" and "No Power in the 'Verse" were great, later Firefly comics were noticeably weaker.
    Regarding The Bad Batch - wish it had a companion webcomics series like TCW back in the days.

9. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I didn’t know the JA comic had a different name originally. I would have liked to see that roster of early JAT characters developed more in several miniseries, and that’s what I thought was the original intent. Would have been complementary to the Bantam novels, think.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That is not the case. The art must still be produced, story must be broken down to fit the format, dialogue must be edited. The only difference is that the basic story has already been created, and a "script" exists from which story and dialogue can be adapted. The entire production process of the comic still happens, just like it does with non-adapted comics - at best, they're simply able to omit one early step and modify another.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  11. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Sounds like Clonegeek is correct—relative to the normal production, it’s easy because it’s more efficient by skipping a step.

12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    That's sort of the opposite of the point I was making. The only part of the process that is skipped is the writer having to generate a plot (and gaining editorial approval of that plot). From writing (yes, the comic still has to be written, that's why a writer is credited) to artwork to editing, the entire process of producing a comic book remains. None of it is "easy" even in comparison to comics that are not adaptations. The work is still there.

13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    "Easier" is not the same as "relatively easy."

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But it’s not there from the writing perspective. All you’re doing when writing an adaption is cutting dialogue. Which is more complex for book adaptions as much more dialogue needs to be cut.

But other than that a writer is just copying and pasting dialogue which just sounds utterly boring. While not the same the art is also assuredly a bit easier as your just translating screen to print in that case. More challenging for a book caption I would wager.

15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    This is not even close to reality. Writing an adaptation is not simply "cutting dialogue." Here's one hint: a comic book is a different format for telling a story than a television series. The story needs to be translated to the comic medium, which involves considering how panels should be laid out, marrying dialogue to panel format, working out how to recreate the drama and impact of a given scene through art and layout, and quite a bit more. None of this is trivial, whether you're writing an original story or adapting a series episode.

Cavan Scott, among others, has put out some interesting material regarding what writing a comic book looks like. He doesn't write adaptations, but one can clearly see how the work involved is similar. Anyone interested in any of this should consider checking it out.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  16. PowBasilisk

PowBasilisk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2024
    An adaptation doesn’t require you to come up with a storyline, plot it out, make characters, figure out ways to develop them, etc, etc

Jedi Knight Fett and AusStig like this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I don't know, I watched dubbed anime back in the 90s and 00s. They made a LOT of changes.

But yes in general it is easier in some ways.

Golbolco and PowBasilisk like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well still I don’t think adapting on screen material to comic sounds at all fun. However much work is put into it. That work could be better spent on more creative endeavors.

It’s why I only read the adaptions of the shows and books because I have marvel unlimited. I wouldn’t buy them otherwise. Not worth my money. Plus when I probably buy them eventually I’ll be sure to buy them second hand cause then I won’t contribute to sales. If no one buys them then they would stop being made.

again my problem isn’t with adaptions as a whole it’s just screen to comic adaptions. Screen to book can add a lot. Book to comic can add worthwhile illustrations.

the only advantage of screen to comic is I can read a comic book faster than I can watch a show. So sure it was nice getting a refresher for the mandalorian. But in every other way would I prefer something new? Yes.

Golbolco, PowBasilisk and AusStig like this.
  19. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I imagine whatever effort is required to adapt a tv/film into comic format, it’s significantly harder to do so when the source material is hundreds of pages of prose novel. Not just in terms of condensing the story into something shorter, but also in having to design characters, settings, creatures, vehicles etc with very little visual reference.

Golbolco and PowBasilisk like this.
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    FWIW, there's an argument I've seen that film comic adaptations have largely outlived their usefulness, in that they were originally specifically meant for the era before home video when you couldn't just rewatch a movie whenever. (IMO this is a big part of why so many people have false memories of having actually seen deleted scenes from the OT like Luke and Biggs on Tatooine). Now that watching a movie at home has almost completely displaced theaters, while there still may be a niche for comic adaptations it's much more of a niche.

21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    True, but you have descriptions, so that is a start. It is a little easier than making a comic from nothing.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Just as an addendum to this, I also don't think it helps that they don't seem to be willing to experiment too much stylistically with the comics medium for adaptations. I'd be way more interested in a "TROS literally in the style of Dark Empire" adaptation than a photorealistic one, for example.

Golbolco likes this.
  23. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    The Force Unleashed comic adaptation tells the story of the game from the perspective of Proxy Galen Marek droid telling Galen Marek's story to Bail Organa comic adaptations can be different in the Force Unleashed 2 comic adaptation is the story of the game but from Boba Fett's point of view in AOTC comic adaptation Quinlan Vos appears in the battle of Geonosis, something that does not appear in the movie and the comic adaptations of the OT are somewhat different like the appearance of non Hutt Jabba in ANH comic

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    AusStig likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    See if your going to do an adaption at least do something unique like that.

PowBasilisk likes this.
  25. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    A novel is much better than a comic adaptation but comic adaptations can do different things, such as telling a story from a character's point of view