main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What Books Should Get a Comic Adaption?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonegeek, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    It's interesting how comic adaptations seem to be the last vestige of the multimedia projects that would accompany the films put out from 2015-2019.

You used to get a YA novel, a tie-in novel, a novelization, a comic adaptation, a tie-in comic focusing on a character or a prequel event, and maybe a one shot comic about a character. And probably more than I'm remembering.

This stuff went away when the model switched to TV shows, it seems. Would have been cool to get a couple of these for The Mandalorian's first season. I think it's unfortunate that the model has been abandoned--had the Kenobi series been an anthology, it might have received this kind of expansion (although there were the two Kenobi-centered novels that summer, right?)

darklordoftech and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    I think that in Shadows of the Empire comic it is more about the story of how Boba Fett delivered Han Solo to Jabba while the novel is the story of Luke and Vader and the video game about Dash Rendar it's the same story but with different points of view of the characters

KirKanosForever and MercenaryAce like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They kinda still do. But barely. All the shows minus Andor and Ahsoka have gotten junior novel adaptions. (Ahsoka may still get one)

Golbolco likes this.
  4. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I think that Solo got one of the biggest multimedia projects. There was Most Wanted and Last Shot, a Lando comic, a Beckett comic, a Han-at-the-academy comic, and a decent number of junior novels.

If something like Andor received a similar treatment that would have been great. So many good characters to feature in comics or in a young adult novel, and a couple characters more than a little worthy of an adult book (Luthen, Mon Mothma, and Saw Gerrera all deserve novels following their exploits.)

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes. Outside of TFA Solo had the most tie in material which is very ironic.

6. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    The Hand of Thrawn Duology
    The Young Jedi Knights series
    The New Jedi Order series
    The Darth Bane Trilogy
    Darth Plagueis
    Kenobi

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Going to jump on the Thrawn Ascendancy bandwagon. Give me all those new species and ships please.

Shatterpoint would be great. The novel is both character defining yet also rather obscure so it deserves some more spotlight. Plus, also has a lot of cool things that could use some visuals.

As many High Republic comics as there has been, I don't think we have any novelizations, but many of those would be great as well. In particular, Light of the Jedi, Battle of Jedah, and Defy the Storm.

Honorable mentions:
    Ronin
    Dark Nest
    Dooku: Jedi Lost
    Aftermath
    Bloodlines
    Truce at Bakura
    Yoda Dark Rendezvous

AusStig likes this.
  8. Darth Vectivus

Dec 9, 2023
    Republic Commando novels

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The second half of Thrawn Alliance.

...too soon?:p

10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It’s appropriate, considering that if they aren’t inclined to fully adapt that one then there’s probably not much chance for other novels.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    WMIRTUTSF and MercenaryAce like this.
  11. Carib Diss

Carib Diss Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 31, 2024
    The Galaxy of Fear books, the books already give off comic book/TV show vibes with its focus on things happening every chapter, cliffhangers, and focus on visuals(seriously the wraiths on Kiva feel like they were practically made for a comic book).

Also the more people are aware of Darth Vader's goofy insane clone the better.

12. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Darksaber. I want to see that ridiculous meeting, complete will yelling and brawling, that Daala forced on the warlords in all its glory. That piece of art showing Daala gassing the warlords to death in the Essential Reader's Companion only whetted my appetite.

13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    It’s not a comic adaptation of a book, but I just had the idea to make a comic series called “Power of the Force” which is essentially based on 80’s-90’s action figures where you have these loosely canon (but can still make it work with wiggle room) stories filled with action, shoulder pads and beefed up characters set during the original trilogy. You can even include the toys only ships like Imperial Shuttle Pod and Cruisemissile Trooper. I need my He-Man Luke slicing the wings off this bad boy

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2024
  14. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    That’s the answer I was thinking of!! I feel like you could do some really interesting and creative takes

AusStig and PowBasilisk like this.
  15. Darth Vectivus

Dec 9, 2023
    The Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest although there was a comic adaptation of a story from the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest i would have liked all the novels to be adapted into comics maybe all the New Republic era novels Pre NJO

AusStig likes this.
  16. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar, just for Janson's outfits

17. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    The Han Solo Trilogy, Han Solo Adventures, Maul: Lockdown, and Twilight Company for me.

If they can get artist Dave Gibbons or Mike Zeck for the books, then comics will become twice the fun.

AusStig, PowBasilisk and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I know they are not books but some of the games like Jedi Falling Order/Survivor or Battlefront 2 story mode and many others would make great comics for the people who don't play games.

19. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    Can't people just watch the game cut scenes on YouTube?

20. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    My initial thought is, comic adaptations should be saved for stories that don’t already exist in a visual format.

PowBasilisk likes this.
  21. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Yeah you could but a comic could add extra content not seen in the games.