main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heat (1995)

A great clash of two of the most talented actors of the day, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. They play men on opposite sides of the law, but their characters also share a good amount of similarities. Obviously the two of them carry the film, but the supporting cast do a pretty good job of keeping up with their energy, especially Val Kilmer. There's a great dichotomy between the first two scenes involving both Pacino and De Niro, where the first scene is in a diner where things are as calm as possible, and the second scene is a giant shootout in the streets of LA that's every bit the embodiment of chaos, and in both scenes you get such a great sense of what really makes these two men so different. It's just a masterclass of both excellent acting and excellent writing.

There's no easy answers in Heat. Both main characters have their strengths, but also their fatal flaws. Neither one really gets a happy ending, but I don't think either one really expected to, given the various hardships they endure because of their chosen life paths. But that doesn't stop one from rooting for one or both of them throughout the movie, as their trials and tribulations make them all the more relatable.

2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Mothra 1961

My first viewing; loved the movie. Nice plot exposition setup. Cool cast, wish their voices weren't dubbed though. Plot has morality overtones which are nice. Some beautiful fx shots and colorful set design.
    Mothra is cool, as are the Shobijin who help summon him/her.

Does anybody know of an original version in Japanese on DVD? I looked online, but I couldn't find a definitive home media release. There doesn't appear to be a blu ray available.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Mothra of the tennis ball eyes. I love the rubber monster suit stuff. Haven’t seen this in eons, but so much fun.

I found mention of a 2009 Japanese blu ray available from Amazon Japan. FYI, Blu-Ray.com is a great database for world wide dvd and blu ray releases. Good luck

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK have a US Import DVD (sold by Amazon US) called Toho Collection which has 3 films and Mothra is one. Notes on it says languages are Japanese and English. I'd take a look on Amazon US for it.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Be really careful with US DVDs of Godzilla films; there were a lot that were pumped out with very poor encodings and a high tendency towards dubtitles... which aren't necessarily the egregious sin they're made out to be, but pretty much useless with early Toho stuff where they overhauled key details because **** you.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes here’s the link for that US set as @LAJ_FETT says, it’s dvd not blu.

Thanks @Ramza!

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, that's it. It's even on sale on Amazon US.

8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks everyone. I'll keep searching. I was hoping to find a current/definitive transfer of Mothra, at least the most up to date and highly rated version by the fans.

I was sceptical about the 3 film collection, as I worried about the transfer quality. I'll go back and read some reviews. Thanks again. I find it harder to know which versions of these films to buy compared to other franchises.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    At least the 3-film collection is cheap - about $3 per film. (Not sure if the other two interest you).

10. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    True. I went ahead and ordered it. The other films sound interesting.

The original Godzilla Criterion Collection is on my list as well, as I've also started a Godzilla collection. Earlier today I ordered Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla Vs. Mothra on blu ray.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    At the price point it's worth a look; if it's the same as the Sony DVD release that's the best one on the US market, and it might be since it's three discs rather than, like, a two-sider or whatever.

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Hope the set is decent quality @Dagobahsystem.

For future reference, I think the DVD Beaver site writes comparisons of the same movie as released worldwide on dvd and blu, and the aforementioned blu.ray.com is a great database.

EDIT: finally you might want to try eBay if your player is region compatible.

13. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks @Master_Lok
    I'll check those sites out. My blu ray player is not compatible with discs from certain regions, so I've not tried buying Japanese blu rays before.

Coincidentally, Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth is on the tele right now lol.

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I recently saw Downsizing. There is some fun with the novelty of the shrinking people, but it's not a comedy the way people perhaps were lead to believe from the pre-release promotion of the film. Similarly, Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis are hardly in it. It's overlong and indulgent in places, and in the end a forgettable picture. But (and this is a big but) it does give you Matt Damon in full sincerety saying the line "about your question earlier; it WAS a love****!" That, in my book, is worth the price of admission!

Also, Christoph Waltz is fun to watch as always.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Love Bug

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Death of Stalin
    (2017) – Armando Iannucci

If you weren’t already on board with Iannucci as a true genius, The Death of Stalin should push you right over the edge, unless you’re some kind of an idiot. Calling Iannucci’s gaze cynical is to understate by about a million degrees, so it makes sense that said gaze has fallen on the farcical, idiotic and disturbing antics surrounding the power struggles that followed in the wake of Stalin’s death. In keeping with his usual style, this movie is an ensemble piece, filled with fast-paced, bracing dialogue that punctures both the systems of power and the people who keep those systems in place. He’s got a cast that just won’t quit. They’re all excellent, but special notice must go to a few. Steve Buscemi is better than he’s been in years as Nikita Khrushchev. Michael Palin brings humanity to his buffoonish character and his rambling, waffling response to a simple request for a “yes-or-no” vote during a meeting is a highlight of the film. Jason Isaacs is a marvel, and somewhat underused, as a profane army officer. Jeffrey Tambor is perhaps career best as the weak-willed Malenkov. Simon Russell Beale, in my opinion, absolutely steals the show as the ill-tempered, violent, reprehensible Lavrentiy Beria, the leader of the secret police. His performance kind of encapsulates the movie for me in that it manages to somehow balance both near farcical humor and a truly dark sense of dread. The film is hilariously funny, but it’s also really disturbing at times and the climax of the film, a chaotic coup/kangaroo court trial, is chilling and genuinely hard to watch. It’s the darkest comedy I’ve seen in a really, really long time, a movie that wrings laughs out of the venality and cruelty of its characters and then reminds you that the venality and cruelty has real-world consequences. It’s a movie absolutely of its moment, I think, but also one that is going to remain pertinent. It lampoons the idiocies of the political world and the buffoons that populate it, but it also embraces the deep wounds these buffoons have left in the world. You’ll laugh yourself silly watching this movie and then you’ll walk out with a lasting sting. Some would say this perfect balancing act is exactly what satire is supposed to be. If so, then I think this film is one of the greatest works of satire ever produced. 4 stars.

tl;dr – hilariously funny but also nurturing a pervasive sense of dread, this pitch-black comedy cements Iannucci as a true satirical genius; an amazing cast, a ton of laughs, a lasting sting. 4 stars.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I loved the Blue Thunder movie back in the day, but I haven't watched that since the mid 80s.

I didn't even realise they did a TV series of Blue Thunder, I don't remember it being on UK TV at all. I just looked it up on imdb and its starred Dana Carvey and Bubba Smith. I'm not sure I could take that seriously. Party on Hightower.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Blazing Saddles

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Incredibles 2
    Nice entertaining movie.

Moll and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Brainstorm (1983) Speculative fiction tech demo story unfortunately ended up being Natalie Wood's last film. Slowpoke finds Ms. Wood's death very sad, planning revenge on Robert Wagner.

Mothra (1961) I wanted something light and amusing. I chose wisely.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Death of Stalin got good reviews from what I saw. I missed it in the cinema but if I see it listed on Sky Movies I'll probably watch.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  22. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Just watched the 2004 movie downfall. Very good and apparently historically accurate.

MrZAP likes this.
  23. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    a.k.a. one of the most brutally depressing movies I have ever seen, but also one of the best.

24. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It's got an interesting feeling of inevitability to it-the bulk of it takes place over about ten days or so but the movie is 2 hours long. Just waggling hitler have his manic outbursts and putting hope on non existent divisions, Mrs Goebbels is particularly repulsive, and the fighting to the death is shown to be so pointless.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The Devil’s Bride (1968) Yay! My all time favorite Christopher Lee role/Hammer movie is on.

Lee plays the Duke Nicholas De Richleau, a WWI vet, whom with his vet buddy Rex Van Ryn, agree to watch over their deceased friend’s son Simon. The dumb behind Simon is, he joins a Satanic cult. So the Duke and Rex spend the rest of the movie saving Simon, a woman named Tanith and relatives while battling the cult.

This movie made me fall in love with: white magicians/wizards, Christopher Lee, and the Good vs. Evil theme. And mask for the devil is fantastic. The acting is perfectly overdramatic as is the score, it is Hammer after all. This movie shaped my good vs. evil writing (along with Raiders of the Lost Ark).

The only things that slightly date this movie are some effects really. Christopher Lee always wanted to remake this, as he enjoyed the story and playing De Richleau, but he thought he was too young for the role when this was made, and some of the FX were not that great.

I do not know how many times I’ve watched this over four plus decades, but it was the first horror movie I ever saw, and for years I imagined the Duke De Richleau was my dad.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018