main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    High Noon Never seen this before. Although I've seen the Sean Connery version plenty of times (Outland). This is a great film that ratchets the tension from the beginning. I knew it was about a gang coming to exact revenge on a marshall who sent their leader to prison, but I didn't expect the villains to turn up at the start and be waiting for their leader to arrive at the train station. I expected them to ride in to town later. This seems more about the fear of the people in the town with virtually no one willing to help the marshall and stand by him in his our of need and what makes it really good is that its virtually playing out in real time. If this was made nowadays the final showdown would be less rushed, but I think this film is more about the tension preceeding it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Rambo 2 & Dundee 2 changed genres basically while Gremlins 2 went in a different direction entirely. Rambo 2 and Gremlins 2 are both arguably better than the originals.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gremlins 2 is better than the original? In what way?

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Now you should watch "Rio Bravo", John Wayne & Howard Hawks' answer to "High Noon", which they didn't like. Both good movies with differing perspectives.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The Happytime Murders .

this is the one with muppets and Melissa MCarthy .
    it's adult stuff , certainly better than Meet the feebles , but still - the gags could land better , I can't help feeling that a good score could've perked this up a bit , as it is its ok but never LOL much.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    How does it compare with Sausage Party? I figured it's the same type of humor.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sausage Party was pretty funny. If Happytime is similar in humor I might watch it when it comes on Sky Movies.

AndyLGR and Master_Lok like this.
  8. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    its not as filthy as Sausage Party , ( well actually there is one bit!) , its more of a pastiche on 80s buddy-cop movies .

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Hereditary
    [​IMG]

Bacon164 and duende like this.
  10. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    can't wait to see what that director does next

11. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    [​IMG]

It was a good movie. Not great, but good. Steve Carell's performance as Bobby Riggs was absolutely fantastic.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i started watching that on the plane to china and...it just wasn't as compelling as i'd hoped. i ended up bailing and watching my cousin vinny for the 984298429842698th time instead.

Sarge and gezvader28 like this.
  13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Mandy

My review: towards the end of the movie I looked at my buddy and said, “This dude(Cosmatos) should make a Star Wars movie.”

My friend: “Yeah, no ****.”

This ends my review of Mandy.

Master_Lok and duende like this.
  14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    He will be making the next SW movie .

until he's fired and replaced with . . . ?

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i don't think he would do it. maybe an alien movie? i dunno, probably a mistake as well.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=

With Nick Cage as a vengeful Jedi on a tear against the first order.:p

While I thought the villain angle was awful, I enjoyed Nick, the actress playing Mandy and the visuals.:cool: If Cosmatos continues to make genre movies, I’ll continue to watch.

17. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    you talking about the villain's motivation?

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Favourite

[​IMG]

Interesting that the director decided to shoot much of the opening film in a low angle; about knee high. Additionally, the use of filming through a fish-eye lens quite often throughout the film.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say it's the same. It may try to be the same, but the humor tends to not work in the film outside of the gags you can see in the trailers. Strangely enough the non-comedic parts are probably it's strength as the partnership/friendship between the main puppet character and McCarthy is actually pretty good.

Almost every way? ;)
    [​IMG]

Gremlins is a better horror film but Gremlins 2 is a funnier, smarter film.

Gremlins 2 wisely realized they couldn't just repeat the same thing over again so they swung for the fences by breaking the 4th wall (almost literally in the case of the Hulk Hogan scene), going for total self-aware humor ("It's always midnight somewhere", killing Leonard Maltin for his negative review of the first film, turning from the Santa Claus childhood Christmas trauma story to a Lincoln's birthday childhood trauma story, etc) not just about itself but also TV and films in general (Grandpa Munster, the executive, Batman logo, Christopher freaking Lee! ["I could get you *diseases*. You'd like that, wouldn't you?"]) and it added all the cool Gremlin mutant variations on top of everything.

[​IMG]

I mean, the Brain Gremlin alone makes it the best film of the two.

[​IMG]

"You take a look at this fellow here-" (shoots a Gremlin in the face) "Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized. Now, bear in mind, none of us has been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - we'll have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe we can watch that for free. We want the essentials. Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit, even though we've been turned down in the past"

Like, as much as I would have liked to have had a 3rd film in the franchise, I'm kinda glad there wasn't one because Gremlins 2 seems pretty much designed to ensure that you could not make a better Gremlins movie.

[​IMG]

It's a credit to the film too that, despite them leaning into the comedy and satire in the film, that the Gremlins themselves remain creepy and often scary creature designs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just because the Gremlins themselves were more interesting doesn't necessarily mean the story was better.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I totally forgot there was a Gremlins 2. Probably because I didn't like the original film, as a kid, I recall it being marketed as the next E.T. as Spielberg's name was attached to it. I found Gremlins scary and disturbing as a kid; especially when Phoebe Cates' character told that story about Santa Claus. I watched it only one other time after seeing in theaters and that was more than enough. I may have seen Gremlins 2.

22. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i still remember sitting in the theater at 13 years watching gremlins 2: new badge and thinking "wtf IS this?"

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @duende

I was 12 when I saw Gremlins 2 in the summer of 1990. I thought the same thing but for some reason I kinda enjoyed it and still to this day feel that way. I also think it cannot hold a candle to the original.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  24. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i think i was puzzled because it was such a left-turn. i enjoyed it in the end but at the time i didn't grasp what it was up to.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A Good Day to Die Hard (extended edition). I left off on the question whether this would be worse than the last one. The answer is, it’s an even worse Die Hard movie. The character doesn’t have any perceptible connection to the John McClane of Die Hard anymore; it’s just Bruce Willis grouching at his jerk son in the middle of a generic Bruce Willis action flick driven by a bunch of stupid geopolitics. It’s super bland and doesn’t feel anything like a Die Hard movie. The only character dynamic that even shows up is the terribly-written father-son conflict, which could be from any movie. There’s none of the wit of the series’ dialogue or characterization at its best. McClane is again a bland badass figure with no sense of why the hell McClane should be running around a foreign country with his CIA son trying to find files on Russian defense ministers. The plot, by the way, is completely incoherent. I’m still not sure what the hell happened or why. This whole thing is just a laundry list of ways not to make a Die Hard film.

But, the thing is, it is a better bad action film than Live Free. Both movies are garbage, but this has a short running time, no tonally jarring Justin Long antics or cyberblather, a commitment to being a crappy B-movie instead of actually trying to be good and just being inept at it, and an actual level of competence in the execution. It actually looks really good, with great lighting, good shot choices, and a crisp look. The action is also decently staged, with some impressive vehicular mayhem in a highlight car chase scene near the opening of the film. The movie steadily degrades in quality as it slides toward a muddy-looking, crappily-conceived-but-still-occasionally-visually-interesting nighttime finale, but there’s the sense that given an even halfway decent script this director could have given us a fair, really slick-looking action flick.

And it’s not like Live Free was so much better as a Die Hard movie, so frankly I’d much rather watch this again than that, and not just because it’s significantly shorter. It’s quick-moving and more watchable despite the truly terrible writing. They’re both garbage, but this is less embarrassing garbage.