main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    For All Mankind is very good at the alternate history, making things seem mostly plausible. While there are some silly gimmicks
    such as John Lennon escaping the assassination attempt and rediscovering his peace activism
    , I don't think you'll be disappointed in that respect.

I watched the first season of Only Murders in the Building. I thought it was funny-- I laughed out loud at least once an episode. Things got really convoluted at the end, so I'm looking forward to seeing if season two can keep it interesting.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Baby, episodes 1 & 2... um WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAt the **** is this insanity?

Barry, season 3 episode 2... Bill Hader is ******* terrifying.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Shining Girls.

this is pretty strange , and a bit hard to follow.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Rewatching The Stand from the 90's and comparing it to the new one. It's pretty good, a bit more faithful to the book, maybe simpler. Gary Sinese is good in it, right before he became a star.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Started Peter Capaldi's run as the 12th Doctor.

Deep Breath
    Great episode; a lot going on. Very entertaining. Capaldi is a terrific actor.

Into the Dalek
    This is an interesting story. Good/bad dalek. Intense and entertaining.

Robot of Sherwood
    Robin Hood episode with Clara.

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Web Planet

The Doctor and his companions become involved in a conflict between basically...giant insect-like races. Probably the worst looking First Doctor serial in terms of costumes.

Dagobahsystem, Thena and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My latest binge was The Leftovers, a show about 2% of the world's population suddenly vanishing into thin air and how the "leftover" 98% deal with that. As you can imagine one of the central themes is grief, while the other central theme is faith, or people's lack thereof. I thought it was great start to finish. I think season 1 was the best overall, while the other two seasons had some of the best individual episodes. It plays with a lot with whether or not it's supernatural, and I think it works that just like its other main topics it doesn't give easy, straightforward answers.

Other than Liv Tyler and Regina King I wasn't too familiar with the main actors, so it was cool to see some of them show off their dramatic chops (and comedic now and then) in long form. Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon as the leads were pretty brilliant, and Christopher Eccleston was also great as a kind of scummy priest. Ann Dowd and Scott Glenn stole the show in smaller but no less important roles.

gezvader28 likes this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Rewatched all of What If...?, and Loki. Also finished The Defenders

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Shining Girls episodes 1&2
    Elisabeth Moss is the survivor of a vicious assault, who now finds herself seemingly jumping between one reality to another. Meanwhile, her attacker is still out there attacking women, and also seems to be jumping between realities.

It's interesting so far.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just started The Offer on Paramount+ about the making of The Godfather. It's actually not bad, the reviews have been pretty terrible. I'm enjoying it so far, Matthew Goode is pitch perfect imitation of Robert Evans.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Space Museum

The Doctor and his companions find themselves in a space museum, with their future selves as exhibits. They must somehow find a way to avert the future...

The serial ends with...
    the Daleks discovering them and declaring their intention to pursue and exterminate them.

Juliet316 , Dagobahsystem and Thena like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I finished the second season of The Great. While it's pretty entertaining and wears its ahistorical nature on its sleeve ("An Occasionally True Story"), I can't help but think that it would've been much better if it had stuck closer to reality. I would argue that what really happened is more absurd than anything a screenwriter could come up with. Other than a few key points that match history, it might as well not be about Catherine or Russia at all. They also did Elizabeth dirty by, instead of making her the reigning Empress who dragged Peter III from his home in Holstein and the one who arranged his marriage to Catherine, she's just... his weird aunt who kinda hangs around and never dreamed of holding the throne.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Coruscant likes this.
  13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Finished Life & Beth on Hulu. Say what you will about her off screen, I think Amy Schumer is hilarious and talented, and she shows it in this series. The 6.5 rating it’s got on IMDb feels like a bunch of people gave up after the first couple of episodes, which I was tempted to do myself after the pretty bad first impression it gave. But I wound up really enjoying the series. Schumer is great, as is Michael Cera, who capitalizes on his offbeat talents with a character that is extremely awkward, yet oddly magnetic. I recommend it. Just gotta get past those first two episodes.

14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The King's Demons

The Fifth Doctor, Turlough and Tegan arrive in 1215 England and uncover a plot by the Master to stop the Magna Carta from being drafted and signed by King John.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I love that show , it made me forgive Lindeloff for the last season of Lost.

16. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The Moon Knight finale was IMO the best episode of the bunch. If you missed the post-credits coda, take a look. It's worth it. At least here, the credits went to an embedded screen with Eternals advertised as soon as they started rolling (which was weird because we've seen Eternals, and Disney knows it) so we had to go back and fast forward through the whole episode to see them. I was a bit surprised, because that doesn't usually happen on Disney+, you usually get the skip credits button if there's a coda. That said, the whole show was very confusing, I could never tell what really happened and what was a delusion. I guess it's a cool gimmick for an episode or two, but I don't think it's enough to carry a whole show. Overall, I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed with MK, because the first episode showed a lot of promise.

TOS: What Are Little Girls Made Of? is probably my favorite first season TOS episode. Sure it was sexist, but by no means as bad as some other episodes, and it raised some interesting questions about artificial sentience. The spinning platform where they replicated Kirk reminded me a lot of the machine that turned humans into... something else in The Black Hole. I wonder if that was inspired by this episode.

TNG:
    The Chase. Solid entertainment, with a great in-universe explanation for the number of intelligent bipedal humanoids in the galaxy. Great to see a Klingon scientist, as well.
    Frame of Mind. Absolutely brilliant acting by Jonathan Frakes, reminded me a lot of Picard in Chain of Command.
    Suspicions. Interesting to see a Ferengi scientist, and another Klingon one, a woman at that.
    Rightful Heir. Interesting take on the effects of religious belief on a society (Klingon in this case), and how people use the heartfelt personal belief of others to remain in power or to get there.

SW: Resistance. We're about halfway through the second season, and this show's really improved by leaps and bounds. If you gave up watching early on in the first season, the beginning of the second one's already much better and it keeps improving.

Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.
  17. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Regarding Suspicions, I think that was the first TNG that didn't treat a Ferengi as either a villain, slapstick comic, or a combination of both. That Ferengi was treated more in line with how Deep Space Nine would handle them as a species and culture.

Juliet316 and Arwen Sith like this.
  18. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    TNG: Second Chances. One of my favorite episodes, one Riker is good, two Rikers are even better!

TX-20, PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  19. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Make sure you watch the DS9 episode "Defiant."

TX-20, Jedi Ben, Arwen Sith and 2 others like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Candy Episode 1

This has 47% RT, but I can tell you the dark humor and 1980s repressed suburban housewife atmospherics are top notch, but what sold me on the first episode was a parking lot scene after a viewing of Empire Strikes Back. Absolutely wicked. I know when you think of Jessica Biel's post 7th Heaven career, it's mostly as a string of failures, but she's convincing here. I'm not sure she's quite up to the quality of Melanie Lynskey, who carried a whole lot in the first episode almost without saying a word.

I'm surprised critics have been unkind. The first episode is devious.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Episodes 2 & 3 of For All Mankind. I'm enjoying it. So far, the way history is diverging is fairly believable.

22. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    Oh, I will, when we get there.

TOS: The Dagger of the Mind. This is one of those episodes that I clearly remember watching in reruns as a kid in the mid-80s, and it has stayed with me ever since.

TNG:
    Timescape. Another of those episodes where something weird is happening to time. I enjoyed this episode, though.
    Descent pt 1 & 2. One of the most interesting Borg episodes, IMO, even if they weren't particularly menacing in this one. I was a bit surprised at how quickly the crew, especially La Forge, forgave Data for his behavior while under the influence of Lore's manipulations.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    The first episode of Around the World in 80 Days starring David Tennant. It's been decades since I last read the book, but this miniseries of eight 45-minute episodes looks promising. Great production values and a fun story. Phileas Fogg is a bit of an idiot at times, but a charming one. Passepartout is Black, which is a credible change (I don't remember any mentions of his skin color in the book), and there's no Detective Fix on his trail, but instead a young intrepid journalist, Abigail Fortescue, traveling under her professional pseudonym, Abigail Fix, travels with them.

Dagobahsystem and Coruscant like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Taxi Driver Series 1

I really enjoyed this.

A Korean series that sees a group who have all lost loved ones to crime, they decide to go after criminals who cheat the system.

What follows is a tale with some epic fight sequences, car chases, a killer soundtrack and an excellent sense of balance.

It also is a 16-episode complete tale. There's no final few minutes cliffhanger that blights so many series now. This is a story that knows how to develop and then conclude, albeit with a good few twists along the way.

Going to be looking out for the next series.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Kids in the Hall 2022 (Amazon Prime) Ep 1

[​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.