main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's up with Depa Billaba?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by A Lovable Jerk, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    It certainly makes sense that active Council members wouldn't be training apprentices at the same time. I vaguely recall some EU stories where Ki-Adi Mundi and Shaak Ti had apprentices, but I don't remember if they were on the Jedi Council concurrently.

In the case of Depa, perhaps having her train an apprentice would have been mutually beneficial, as that was my take on the Anakin & Ahsoka pairing. If Depa had a mental break, perhaps getting back to the basics of training and watching out for an apprentice would have helped her adjustment...

2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    The puppet was upgraded to have a battle droid underneath near the end of the clone wars. Plo Koon was getting suspicious.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I found a picture of him bending over. So he's not just a statue, he can at least pivot on his waist.

[​IMG]

4. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    If memory serves, many of the Council members change from TPM to ROTS. So as others mentioned, there must be term limits and/ or options to discontinue service for external obligations.

Iron_lord must know the specifics. ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

This was the most recent chart on the Council:

Regarding the council Council "permanent/long term/short term members" system - Wookieepedia had the details:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_High_Council

The terms of service on the Council were divided into three different lengths. Five members would serve indefinitely; giving up their seats upon passing away or stepping down. Four long-term members had the opportunity of stepping down at any time, though they did not have to leave until they reached an approved end date to their service. To bring new perspectives and ideas to the Council, three limited-term members served during certain crises or to bring the voice of different Temple organizations to the forefront. With the passage of time any of the long- or limited-term members could be elevated to another position within the Council, increasing the length of time served. When a lifetime member died, a long-term councilor might succeed them, though this was not always the case.[33] Members of the High Council were addressed verbally by either the formal title of "Your Grace" or simply the honorific of Master.[34]

which came from various works.

6. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    So this Coleman Kcaj guy. Shows up out of nowhere :Right after after COLEMAN Trebor dies! And if you hold coleman kcaj to a mirror : Nameloc Jack ! Jack Nameloc has 11 letters : The same amount of council members in season 6! Therefore Yoda and Mace are plotting to take over the republic!

7. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi.
    :p

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Jedi Master Dipa Beluga actually was the one to have gone insane and ended up in a comatose state.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Billaba went crazy and comatose in the non-canon "Legends" novel "Shatterpoint" and the now-canon comic "Kanan" implies that she had a stint off stage due to going buggity boo. So, yeah, basically, read Shaterpoint. It probably happened.

10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Can I just say how dearly I would love to see a scene where Mace has to explain to Palpatine that a renowned Jedi Master (his own apprentice) is temporarily out of action due to going... 'buggity boo.' Using that exact terminology is a must.

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Best. Typo. Ever.

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Was intensional of course, like something they used to do in the EU or movies - rename a similar looking looking character, often a Jedi with often similar names. ;)

13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    "Its... her time of the month, best not to intrude..." Mace mutters looking a mite embarrassed.
    "Thoroughly understand," Supreme Chancellor replies thoroughly enjoying Mace's discomfort.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  14. jta1

jta1 Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2015
    In the ROTS book, in the introduction she is mentioned as having fallen to the dark side.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup:

All the younglings watching the battle in Coruscant's sky know it: when Anakin and Obi-Wan get there, those dirty Seppers are going to wish they'd stayed in bed today.
    The adults know better, of course. That's part of what being a grown-up is: understanding that heroes are created by the HoloNet, and that the real-life Kenobi and Skywalker are only human beings, after all.
    Even if they really are everything the legends say they are, who's to say they'll show up in time? Who knows where they are right now? They might be trapped on some Separatist backwater. They might be captured, or wounded. Even dead.
    Some of the adults even whisper to themselves, They might have fallen.
    Because the stories are out there. Not on the HoloNet, of course—the HoloNet news is under the control of the Office of the Supreme Chancellor, and not even Palpatine's renowned candor would allow tales like these to be told—but people hear whispers. Whispers of names that the Jedi would like to pretend never existed.
    Sora Bulq. Depa Billaba. Jedi who have fallen to the dark. Who have joined the Separatists, or worse: who have massacred civilians, or even murdered their comrades. The adults have a sickening suspicion that Jedi cannot be trusted. Not anymore. That even the greatest of them can suddenly just... snap.
    The adults know that legendary heroes are merely legends, and not heroes at all.

That said, novelizations are now only canon where they "align with what's said on screen".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So if this was stated in the novel and giving the two names, then we must know she turned to the darkside and maybe there will be an episode in Rebels going over why. On the subject, Sora Bulq would be an awesome Inquisitor but i feel his story is that he wanted to join his old friend Dooku. Billapa never seemed one to fall to the darkside as no Council members should have this fate except Anikan in my opinion.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Okay...

To clarify some things.

1. Depa in the EU went crazy during Shatterpoint, but was sent into a coma by the book's end. She was later transferred to the Jedi temple and remained there for the course of the war. Her fate was 100% unknown in the old EU, and it was assumed she simply was killed during RoTS' temple invasion.
    2. At first, TCW used rough elements of the EU as a guide-line. It contradicted things and rearranged the timeline, but it only changed specific events on a case by case basis. Filoni actually did try to preserve a lot of material, but George had the freedom to change whatever he wanted because... George Lucas. Over time, this meant that elements slowly changed and retcons never got the change to be officially established. One of the things that didn't outright change, but was a bit of an ammendment was that Filoni planned to bring Depa back by season 6/7 or so during the Utapau arc. Rather than outright contradicting the EU, it would simply fill in an unknown plot point (her fate). See point 1.
    3. Then the Disney buyout happened and the EU's status as non-canon (but minable for story elements/ideas) became official. This was purely a story group decision and neither can be blamed on Filoini/George. Given the nature of episode VII, at least some of the EU was going to get dumped. However, clone wars remained in a very interesting position as a result...
    a. While non-canon, old EU material still has a clear broad influence on the new TCW material so some writers will still reference elements of it from time to time (also don't forget that the EU dumping included dropping stories that were written explicitly to fit with the new TCW cartoon, so some things which were dropped were never intended to contradict the show). Depa's absence was one of these references. A character in Kanan 1 makes reference to a rumor that she went mad and fell to the dark side. An obvious easter egg so those who liked Shatterpoint could still say some story similar to it may have happened if they wished. However...
    b In Kanan issue 6, some Padawans discuss Depa supposedly being in a coma due to an encounter with Grievous. This is pretty much meant to be the new canon explanation for what happened to her, and most readers will interpret it as such. However, it is always possible that the Padawans simply may not know the whole truth. In short, there is both an official explanation, and yet just enough wiggle-room for those who wish to keep an old story in their personal canon as existing. Older EU from before Episode I exists in a similar sort of limbo. We have references to elements of the Mandalorian Wars and KOTOR, or Darth Bane's legacy, but since the full stories have not yet been told regarding the nature of those references, fans can sort of assume what they wish until told more explicitly otherwise.

tl;dr version, Depa was actually injured by Grievous early in the war now, but there's just enough room for people who want to assume Shatterpoint is true to do as they wish. That's the way a lot of Pre saga EU will probably be for several years.

18. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I think think they retconned her fall into the Dark Side for she having lost her entire unit and being been grivously wounded at Haruun Kal, which broke her confidence as a Jedi. She befriended Kanan during her convalescence, and took him as her Padawan. I guess the rest of the Council took it as a sign that her confidence was returning and were happy about it.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't think the events of the EU and modern canon can be retconned, since they pretty much just explained her absence through much of the events of the TCW as having been in a coma or something following a horrific battle and loss at the hands of General Grievous.

20. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Give her her own movie. I would rent that on Red Box

21. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    More then anything I want Depa to get a decent action figure. My Jedi council looks silly cause she can't even sit down!

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    A Depa and Kanan live action movie during the clone wars would be interesting.

23. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Any more insight into their past as Master and Padawan? I know Depa was killed during order 66, do we know how?

24. A Lovable Jerk

A Lovable Jerk Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    Okay, now that I have read all of the Kanan comic series (amazing by the way) it's a bit more clear but I still find it odd that they chose Depa, a character who wasn't in RotS and they claim that Tsui Choi wasn't in even though he is if you look hard enough.

I suppose we can just say that she stepped down from the council.

Now all that's left is the mystery of Coleman Kcaj... Cue X-Files Theme

whostheBossk and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  25. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Read the Kanan comic.

rumsmuggler likes this.