main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When does a Knight become a Master?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Boola Cronk, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    I have always been curious curious about this as it was never really addressed in the films. It may have been in the some of the novels, but I havent really read any of them so I am not sure.

The transition from Knight to Master has not been shown in the movies. Since Ob1 was a knight when he took Anakin as a Padwaan,I had always thought that a Knight became a Master when their Padawaan became a Knight. However, upon reading the Databank entry for the 'Jedi Order' at the OS, only Jedi Masters get Padawaans assigned to them. Ob1 was just an exception to this rule because of his promise to Qui-Gon. I then read that Ob1 became a Master during the Clone Wars but there was no mention as to how and why. Are there additional trials they must face to become a Master? Or maybe they are promoted to master after they have been a Knight for a certain amount of time.

Another interesting point I noticed was in the EP2 scrapbook. It said that Ki-Adi-Mundi was the only Jedi Knight on the Council during the time of TPM. According to the OS, he was a Master during AOTC. If all the council members are supposed to be Masters what was different about Ki-Adi-Mundi?

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    AFAIK, the non-EU answer is that a Knight becomes a Master when thier padawan passes the Trials and becomes a Knight.

I think Knights can take padawans as soon as needed

I don't think you have to be a Master to be on the Council. Maybe Ki-Adi Mundi had a relative highly placed in the Senate.

Again, all non-EU answers

3. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    You need to be highly distinguished to be a master, more distinguished to be in the council. It is up to the council however , whether ure ready to be called a Jedi master or not.

Ki adi mundi IS a jedi master if u look at it wisdom-wise. But he had never taken a padawan b4, so technically a jedi master without padawan.

4. Boola Cronk

Apr 5, 1999
    Thanks for the replies. Jango, that is what I thought and that would be true if we used Ob1's example to support that claim. But the OS seems to be confusing the issue as it says that only Masters are supposed to take on padawaans.

5. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    A Jedi Knight becomes a Master when the Council feels that the knight in question is ready for this sacred duty.

6. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    wait a min, wads the OS??

7. Boola Cronk

Apr 5, 1999
    OS - Official Site.

Here is the excerpt from the Databank I was talking about.

"As the Jedi mature, the apprentice is paired with a master to continue the next phase of the training. According to the Jedi Code, a Jedi Master may only have one Padawan at a time. Near the end of the Padawan's training, she must undergo trials before ascending to the rank of Knight.

The next level of rank in the Jedi order is the Jedi Master, reserved for those who have shown exceptional devotion and skill in the Force. It is from the ranks of the Jedi Masters that the High Council is chosen, which is the main interface between the Jedi and the government of the Republic."

8. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    Hmm, this is wad most star wars fan get confused with, when when u say Jedi master , u refer to a higher ranking jedi like the ones on the council. But some apprentices are paired up with just knights, and thus they are called 'master' by their undertakings.

another confusing term is , - Jedi Knights. when Jedi Knights are mentioned it cud be a generic term as in -Jedi Knights were the keepers of peace and justice....blablabla
    It cud also be literal, - I saw a band of Jedi Knights.

9. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    When u say Jedi master, u refer to a higher ranking jedi like the ones u see in the council.
    However when a knight takes on a padawan, his apprentice wud automatically call him master, cos its a formality. So, knights cud be known as Jedi masters too. Although unofficial.

-sorry, double post

10. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Master is a term of respet that the rest of the gffa call each Jedi. Remember Sio Babble calling Anakin Master Jedi, before Padme blew his spot, by saying he was still a padawan.

11. 1_Sith_2_RuleThemAll

1_Sith_2_RuleThemAll Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2005
    I had assumed Kenobi had become a Jedi Master between I and II. I didn't realize he was still just a Knight.

12. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Jedi master is not an official title, but an assumed title. Kind've like the way you become a kung fu master. It's when you have the fortitude to call yourself one.

13. tavis12

tavis12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    You become a knight when your "rat-tail" reaches an appropriate length. Similarly, you become a master when your "mullet" is long enough to get you a spot with Foghat as a roadie.

You see, it?s all very quantitative.

14. Deyla_Heren

Deyla_Heren Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    You become a Knight when your Master requests you for Knight-hood, and the Council agrees that the Padawan is ready. I have heard that you might become a Master after you successfully train a Padawan.

15. Xanatos90

Xanatos90 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    When he is deemed worthy to take an Apprentice.

16. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    Saesee Tiin has never trained a padawan, meanwhile he is a Master. A knight becomes a master by showing an exceptional display of talent or wisdom using the Force. Such as singlehandedly defeating three powerful battle cruisers(Saesee Tiin), or seven Red Iaro Terrorists(Even Piell) or the Stark Hyprspace Wars(Plo Koon). Or another way is also by training a padawan.

17. Boola Cronk

Apr 5, 1999
    Contrary to what a few on here are saying, 'Jedi Master' is an OFFICIAL rank (see my previous post). Those outside the Jedi Order always call Jedis by the title 'master jedi' regardless of their rank. Inside the order though, 'Jedi Master'is the official rank of the most experienced and powerful Jedi. Example - Yoda and Mace are NOT considered Jedi Knights, they have always been referred to as Jedi Masters.

18. Deyla_Heren

Mar 11, 2005
    I didnt say they HAD to train a Padawan to become a Master, I'm just saying thats one of the ways you might become one

19. Boola Cronk

Apr 5, 1999
    Deyla I wasnt disputing your post as that is basically what I said at the beginning. I was replying to the posts that said that master was not an official title.

20. Deyla_Heren

Mar 11, 2005
    I wasnt actualy talking to you :)

I was talkjing to SaesseeJim

21. Reboscale

Reboscale Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    I don't think there are any set rules or requirements... I think it is an official title you recieve via vote of the council... This, i believe, makes it attainable through many different outlets... Service on the Jedi Council, bravery, exeptional wisdom, ect. Just my point of view.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I believe only Council Members are Masters

23. Boola Cronk

Apr 5, 1999
    Luminara Unduli was a Master and was not on the council.

24. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    To be a Jedi Master you must:

A.) Successfully train a Padawan to Knighthood

or

B.) Be such a Jedi that the Jedi Council feels you deserving of the recognition

That's what I've gathered thus far.

25. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    When he eats his first brownie.

Wait a minute, sorry that is a boy scout.

Trains a padawan, the padawan successfully passes the trials and then they become a Master

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.