main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which Jedi's death was the worst to watching during Order 66?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AstroDroid88, Feb 26, 2016.

?

Which Jedi's death was the worst to watch during Order 66?

1. Ki Adi Mundi

57 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Aayla Secura

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Plo Koon

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Stass Allie

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Jedi Younglings

30 vote(s)
    19.7%
  6. All of the Above

24 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    Aayla Secura. The poor lady never got a chance to defend herself and the clones kept shooting her even after she had fallen.

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Not a singular aspect, but a culmination of all that he's done.

3. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I always figured he was crying because of everything he just did in the past few hours. He had just completed his mission, given to him by Palpatine, to kill everyone at the Jedi Temple and the Separatists, who thought Anakin was there to negotiate their surrender. He killed innocent people all around, including the Separatists leaders who surrendered. Anakin had a lot to cry about when he mission was complete.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The destruction of the republic's actual enemies seems like an odd point for the "culmination" of what he's done to occur to him. Arguably, it pales in comparison to what he has already done to the younglings.

He's significantly less troubled immediately after doing the unthinkable than he appears to be after doing what must have already been considered as an end that the war might come to.

I don't think that Anakin would have ever had any qualms about wiping out the Separatist leaders. Or particularly cared about them "surrendering". Particularly after killing the younglings.

5. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    "What's wrong?"-Ai

I don't think so? The moment of emotion was timed well where he's finally completed all the tasks that Plapatine has given him. Perfect moment to look back and see all that you've done.

However, I won't really argue further with that statement since it's too nitpicky for me to care. I can't help you with that.

~Though I'm sure someone else probably could. I'd lose the will to live if I did~

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Well-played, Sir. And yes, I am a replicant.

8. jarjarbinksthegungan

jarjarbinksthegungan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2017
    It's hard for me to watch Ki-Adi Mundi die. He just looks so sad.

MarcJordan and Deliveranze like this.
  9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Brilliant! :cool:

MarcJordan and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Mundi and Secura's deaths were pretty hard to watch.

11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Thanks to The Clone Wars, Plo Koon always gets me.

12. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    "Cartoon sequence." Thanks for the laugh. I experienced quite a lot of emotion, at least thousandfold more than during the Men in Black cartoon chase in The Force Unleashed. Only thing missing was Wiley Coyote and the Road Runner joining in the slapstick. Who cared when the goofy blobs ate those no name characters from the Whatever Club, who were completely wasted, by the way. Why were the Raid actors even cast when they didn't get to show any of their martial arts talents? Those wacky animated balloon monsters were downright ridiculous, and by far the worst, most uninspired alien design in all of Star Wars. Not threatening in the least.

Ki-Adi-Mundi's death alone was more emotional than Harrison Fo- err, Han Solo's. Ford couldn't give two s*its enough to try to act that scene even semi-decently. He was only interested in finally getting to kill off the character he hated so much and fulfilling his contract. The actor who played Mundi was able to convey a more shocked and saddened expression through a rubber mask and layers of prosthetics than Ford did.

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    The tragedy of the Order 66 doesn't derive from how intimately we've gotten to know all the ancillary Jedi characters; we haven't, and it would be impossible for us to have, because these just aren't those kinds of movies. The tragedy derives from the nobility and goodness that emanates from these characters on a purely visual level across all the films they appear in, and from watching the shocked looks on their faces as they get betrayed and brutally murdered by faceless stormtroopers--and then add the massive, sweeping, simultaneous scale of the tragedy as depicted beautifully by Lucas via montage. We don't get to intimately know every single Rebel pilot who dies in the course of the Death Star battle, but their deaths still have impact, and for a lot of the same reasons.

That said, I'd like to echo that Ki-Adi-Mundi's death is exceptionally well done. It's all in the juxtaposition of shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ki-Adi turning to face his men, and then leading them in a heroic charge toward the enemy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The clones rushing forward as if to loyally follow, but then stopping short as the focus lands inhumanly on their stomping, fascist boots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A close-up on Ki-Adi's all-too-human features, a dawning realization of a soul-crushing betrayal.

[​IMG]
    A firing squad in a cold waste.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brutal murder.

[​IMG]
    Boots standing over a corpse.

Note the powerful technique Lucas uses here of emphasizing the humanity of Ki-Adi-Mundi by focusing close in on his face, while de-emphasizing the humanity of the clones by refusing even to focus on their masked features, preferring instead to cut them off above the waist whenever possible.

Deliveranze and Subtext Mining like this.
  14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    It's a good death. But he has three lines of expositionary nature throughout the whole saga. All I know is he's a Jedi with a plummy accent. No energy was expended ensuring that we should care about Ki before. Killing him did not really change that. He might as well have been an entirely new character introduced in that scene simply to be killed.

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Did you care about Jek Porkins or Dutch or Tiree or Red Leader or Biggs getting killed? Why or why not?

16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Beldar ..... I mean the hatchlings.

It is fiction so it wasn't painful to watch the Jedi Masters getting picked off. It was rewarding watching the beginning setup of my beloved "A New Hope". It was emotional, but rewarding.

The youngling deaths were not very rewarding. The nice deep sound of Vader's lightsaber igniting was cool, but it made the redemption three movies later a bit less .... redemptive. Even hypocritical. It's ironic. He could feel the pain of his own terrorist sonling being killed, but gave no resistance to hacking up innocent actual children, I mean younglings.

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Not personally. But they had people around them who did care and it's natural to empathise. Same with Ewoks. Even Jar Jar has friends looking our for him in the TPM battle. There was no emotional element of Ki's entire appearance in three films bar a detached sense of injustice at the cause of his death.

18. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I hate to break it to you, but Darth Vader is capital-E Evil. If you thought he was incapable of hacking up innocent children for the good of the Empire then I think you misunderstood what the character was supposed to represent. He's not a nice guy. He's not noble. He isn't principled. Darth Vader is totally heartless and evil. And the thing that brings him back to the good side is, yes, his feelings for his son, but also the example his son sets for him.

A lot of the stuff people object to in the PT are really just objections to things in the OT which they apparently didn't get.

20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    One trilogy at a time, eh?

21. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    There's a reason why the Jeffrey Dahmer's of the world get killed in prison.

22. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    If it's topical, the OT can be mentioned. It's not like it's forbidden here to talk about how the rest of the saga relates to the prequels. I believe you've been called out for mini-modding before.

There's also a reason why Himmler and Hitler's other cronies are generally thought of as some of the worst people in history.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm pretty sure "trilogy vs trilogy" is not ok. Post a link to a complimentary discussion on the OT or saga board where we can discuss what you're talking about rather than "mentioning" an opinion as if it should be accepted as a fact

24. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    There are no OT vs. PT comments in this thread as far as I can tell. It is a valid point to bring up Vader's actions in the OT to point out how they are consistent with his atrocities in the prequels.

theraphos and ezekiel22x like this.
  25. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    The kid who get's shot by clone troopers, while Bail Organa observes powerless to help him.

MoffJacob likes this.