main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why some people hate "Padme dying of Sadness" ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Dec 28, 2020.

1. takotsubo

takotsubo Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    Hello everyone!

Just wanted to add some thoughts to the discussion:

[​IMG]

Padme's death from a medical point of view ("You're breaking my heart"):
    From WikiPedia: Takotsubo cardiomyopathy or Takotsubo syndrome (TTS), also known as stress cardiomyopathy, is a type of non-ischemic cardiomyopathy in which there is a sudden temporary weakening of the muscular portion of the heart. It usually appears after a significant stressor, either physical or emotional; when caused by the latter, the condition is sometimes called broken heart syndrome. [...] Women, specifically postmenopausal women, are at greatest risk of developing TTS. This has led some researchers to theorize about the possible protective effects of estrogen in preventing TTS.

[​IMG]

Padme's death in literature
    I don't know what books and plays George has been reading. I don't know all the great silent movies he alludes to with the great prequel trilogy. I bet there are some greek tragedys...Tristan and Iseult (Isolde) may be a work which he surely alludes to herein. From WikiPedia: Tristan dies of grief, thinking that Iseult has betrayed him, and Iseult dies swooning over his corpse.

[​IMG]

Padme's death from a technological and biological/psychological perspective
    Funny is it not? The droids have outsmarted the genius of men. Not only is poor Obi-Wan baffled when realizing she's dying. Obi-Wan was bamboozeled ever since Qui-Gon's teachings about the living force could not embrace his feelings anymore. Arrogant Obi-Wan became -- just like Mace and Yoda and all the Jedi:

MEDICAL DROID: Medically, she is completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her.
    OBI-WAN: She's dying?
    MEDICAL DROID: We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies.

But on the other hand (as a blogger writes it): The droid said “she lost the will to live”, what many takes as a proof, but we have solid evidence, this is not the case, and this is not the medical opinion, the droid just guessing, recognizing something essential, what roots in basic drive for survival is not present in Padmé. If you watch the scene once again, there is a catch in what the droid just said. This is not a diagnosis, nor an explanation: the droid is guessing. Medically, Padmé is completly healthy, yet she is dying, and the droids can’t explain what’s happening, they don’t know why. The droid repeatedly says they don’t have any idea what’s happening, they are very clear about that. The droid said she lost the will to live, but if they understand the concepts of human emotions and psychology, then the answer why “medically she is completely” healthy and why there is no diagnosis, if there is an explanation?

The masterful prequels tells stories about childhood, politics, love, bad relationships, history etc. But they also ask us questions whether men is more genius than machine and wherefore.

[​IMG]

The Midi-chlorians part of the death of Padmé

Maybe Palpatine used the midi-chlorians to take life? Maybe it was the nature of the sith which got us all to the last part of REVENGE OF THE SITH?

[​IMG]

But -- WHAT IF -- maybe it was the true force of nature that brought us here? Midi-Chlorians? What are those Midi-Chlorians? Are they Gods? Are they nature? Are they passive like nature or active like gods? How does the magic in STAR WARS work? Did George have other stories to tell? Was weird Qui-Gon right all along?

Yes... I Think so....

Enter disney

[​IMG]

HolyKenobi93 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    You were so compelled by this topic of conversation, you made your username: takotsubo?
    [​IMG]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What’s left?

—Fighting against that regime that was created under her nose.
    —Supporting those like Bail Organa and Mon Mothma in the Senate who were willing to work against Palpatine
    —Supporting the remaining Jedi
    —Raising her children to not follow their father’s totalitarian footsteps and to work towards democracy
    —Protecting them

I don’t know how “What’s left?” is even a question, and if she was dependent on Anakin still being what she thought he was, and the political system working well, in order to stay alive, yeah, I’d say she became weak. Part of being in politics is sometimes losing the fight, and badly—the Padme of TPM and AOTC knew this.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    This isn't politics. This is everything she valued and depended on being either destroyed or twisted beyond recognition. How can she fight against a regime she (unwittingly) helped to create? How can she support the Jedi when they're going to blame her for being part of Anakin's fall, or for being an untrustworthy politician? How can she raise and protect her kids when a whole Empire will come after her? How can she live with her family and friends becoming innocent targets just because of her? How can she support Organa or Mon Mothma without endangering them, since they can't openly oppose Palpatine at that time?
    As I posted, this is how she looks at it at that moment. And I didn't see Kenobi or Yoda telling her otherwise; they're dealing with their own problems. She was overloaded with grief and had no time to adjust. In that light, you can't look at it objectively and decide she should've done better. You have to see it from the perspective of someone who's lost nearly everything, and can see nothing ahead but doom.

antitoxicgamer and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They just think there are better ways to kill her off. Have her die of Anakin’s force choke.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    By actively working to resist it. It doesn’t matter how it was created.

By supporting their ideals and doing what she can to protect them. I didn’t see Obi-Wan blaming her for Anakin’s fall anyway.

However she can. She did not stop defending her planet when it was taken over by the Trade Federation.

See what I said above.

I can, and I do. I look at it as the character I saw in TPM and AOTC. And someone whose daughter knew how to handle overwhelming grief after her planet was blown up and all her family and friends were killed. “No time for sorrows, Commander.” They had a fascist regime to topple. So did Padme, and giving up was weak at best, codependent and selfish at worst.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I’ll admit it I don’t think it makes that much sense especially when Padme just had children who you would think would renew her “will to live” plus as established in ROTJ you could have easily had Padme live for another 3 years or so with Leia and it would have made perfect sense with what was established in ROTJ and have her die of something off screen. There were better ways to kill her. I don’t mind the lost her will to live, but I think there were better ways

naw ibo and devilinthedetails like this.
  8. Love SW2012

Love SW2012 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2020
    You are all going to hate this theory, there is some conjecture based on the Emperor's plan, but most of it has to do with how Episode III was shot. To become a Sith Lord, requires sacrifice, you must kill something that you love, in order to fuel your anger and hate to help you grow more powerful. Padme was always meant to be Anakin's sacrifice. One of the scene's that I always thought was weird in Episode I was when Anakin gives Padme the trinket and says here I made this for you, it will bring you good luck. Its got a very intricate design, and they just spent a lot of time together, so when did Anakin have time to carve it? What I think happened is that Palpatine sent a force image of the object with the carvings and the force suggestion for luck, and Anakin doesn't know why but he starts to carve it and when the times comes he gives it Padme for luck. Its not really for luck though, it is a Sith talisman of dark Sith magic which will suck the life for out the holder but is only activated when the dark side is used on them, and it allows the wielder of the dark side to use that life force for themselves.
    So my theory is that when Anakin force choked Padme he activated the talisman and started sucking the life out of Padme, then after Anakin was burned he started to draw on the life force from the talisman, literally sucking the life force out of Padme and into Anakin to keep him alive until they can put him the Darth Vader suit. That is why the camera keeps panning back in forth between Anakin and Padme, as Padme is getting weaker and Anakin is surviving. This also helps make sense out of the optics that Padme looks fine and Anakin looks like toast but Anakin survives and Padme doesn't. Anakin inadvertently kills Padme, fore filling his sacrifice to become a full Sith, which is why Palpatine smiles at the end after he tells Vader he killed her. This also make sense as to why during Padme's funeral they stop and show the talisman and music turns ominous while it stays on the object.
    I loved Padme's charter she was strong and smart and brave, why I feel bad for her is that the Emperor played her like fiddle for three movies, although he did that to everyone.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @takotsubo Takotsubo Syndrome would be a diagnosable medical condition. The medical droids would say, "We cannot treat her Takotsubo Syndrome she has suffered due to the trauma of being choked by her husband." The droids wouldn't be totally clueless and like, "Oh, she just lost the will to live for some mysterious reason we don't understand and can't explain." That's the difference between Padme dying of an actual medical reason and a throwaway "she lost the will to live" type line.

Padme is also not a post-menopausal woman, but a woman who is obviously of child-bearing age and in her twenties (27 years old, I believe). Takotsubo Syndrome is most common in patients over the age of fifty, and age matters a great deal in anything cardiac related (source: Mayo Clinic). More than 90% of reported cases are in women ages 58 to 75 (source: Harvard Health). So, medically speaking, it would be super unlikely for this syndrome to strike Padme, and moreover to be undiagnosable by the medical droids.

It's also unlikely that Takotsubo Syndrome would be fatal if Padme did suffer from it (which, again, the medical droids should be able to know and state to Obi-Wan rather than giving him some nonsense line about Padme losing the will to live--no wonder Obi-Wan is baffled by that non diagnosis coming from a medical droid). Mayo Clinic says, "In rare cases, broken heart syndrome is fatal. However, most people who experience broken heart syndrome quickly recover and don't have long-lasting effects." So, the droids jumping to the conclusion that there is nothing they can do to save Padme (when they haven't really seemed to try much to save her) and that they have to operate quickly to save the children (putting her strained body at greater risk) to me just seems very bogus when even if it is Takotsubo Syndrome, it is unlikely to be fatal especially in an otherwise reportedly healthy woman of Padme's age (not even thirty yet). It's also not something that is untreatable even in our world. Mayo Clinic again advises, " Many doctors recommend long-term treatment with beta blockers or similar medications that block the potentially damaging effects of stress hormones on the heart." So, even in our world, there is some treatment available for this condition, but I am supposed to believe there is no treatment in a more medically advanced galaxy far, far away? I don't really except that in a world of bacta baths, Maul returning from the dead, Sidious returning from the dead, etc.

Tristan and Iseult is a medieval work set in medieval times. Medical knowledge in medieval times was pretty poor, but medical knowledge in a galaxy far, far away is more advanced. Part of George Lucas's genius to me was in finding ways of updating classical stories and myths for a modern setting and time. I really think in a modern setting and time a better explanation than the cliche, "She died of a broken heart/because she lost the will to live" could have been found. Like if she had just died of complications from being choked by her husband combined with giving birth to her child, that would've made a ton more sense to me narratively speaking and felt like it did more justice to Padme's character and arc.

10. Love SW2012

Jul 7, 2020
    So are you saying that the unlikelyhood of Padme dying of any real disease supports my theory that Palpatine tricked Anakin into doing it with Sith Sorcery?

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Love SW2012 I was responding to specific points raised by @takotsubo which was why I tagged him in my post rather than commenting on your theory directly, but if you want to interpret the information I provided as supporting your theory, I certainly can't stop you. :)

12. Love SW2012

Jul 7, 2020
    Just curious thanks. It kind of does, just makes it seem like a plausible alternate theory. Sorry I think a lot fans just take what they see in the movies at face value, but I think the is a brilliant subplot of the Emperor's plan to take over the Galaxy. Anyway thanks for the insight

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think a medical explanation would have worked a little better

But I think I would have still preferred that Padme had survived, maybe a medical issue results in a coma that she wakes up from after a few years, maybe she agrees to keep her kids separated and in hiding, maybe she then is involved in very early rebellion stuff, like an Enfys Nest kind of rebel cell, long before there’s any kind of coordination between the the various cells, just freedom fighters causing trouble for the Empire and helping people who need help.

Maybe it would be a difficult story to tell, especially now with so much material to be considered and to weave in and out of.

14. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Some here just dislike this idea because they don't want to agree that one woman is that dependent to her husband.(And some just wanted her to get some fan service type death. Like dying while fighting imperials or something like that.)

15. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I never had a problem with it. I've always been aware that a person's emotional state can affect his or her physical health. And the fact that this happened to Padme on the heels of giving birth to twins . . . I just never had a problem with this. And I still don't.

I think many people, especially women, saw this as a weakness on Padme's part. And they wanted to view her as strong to the end. That's why so many were willing to buy the idea of her seeking out Anakin to kill him after giving birth to the twins. Ugh. But the thing is that many of the other characters - including Anakin - had behaved from a position of emotional weakness. There was Obi-Wan, who spent nearly two decades blaming himself over Anakin's turn to evil. Both Leia and Chewbacca reacting with anger at Lando over Han's fate at the end of "The Empire Strikes Back" . . . without thinking how they all got into that situation in the first place. Macu Windu believing he had to kill Palpatine, instead of trying to arrest him. These are just examples.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    the idea is great just not that well executed. also we all know it was Vader that killed her whatever that droid said. it was said George may have put those lines in to lighten the dark tale a bit.. Anakin had already broken her heart and made living unbearable

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Nobody has said they wanted a “fan service”death for Padme. They have however described deaths they think would have better suited Padme’s arc and character as well as the fact that Leia remembered her, suggesting that she had survived childbirth and been in contact with Leia as she had not been Luke. I am not sure what the point of starting this thread was if you are going to distort the points people make when they explain why they did not like Padme’s death.

18. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I’d rather take the minor inconsistency than accept Padme would abandon Luke on Tatooine in favor of staying in contact with Leia. Especially when being on Alderaan would be far more dangerous for her than hiding away on Tatooine would be.

I do think the losing the will to live idea could’ve been better executed, maybe make it more speculative than definitive would’ve helped.

antitoxicgamer likes this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Comparing Padme and Leia is a case of apples & oranges. Leia had been raised in a less civilized age. She knew from the beginning that Palpatine was an evil dictator and that Vader was an evil hatchet man. She knew that she had allies, in the form of the Alliance military and it's supporting governments. She had not been betrayed by those she trusted. She didn't see the person she dearly loved become an unrepentant villain. She didn't just give birth to children who were threatened by her continued existence. She was certainly grieving (moreso in the radio adaptation), but she knew someone would avenge Alderaan, either her or someone else. Justice would be done.
    Padme had no such backstop. She had few allies, and none of them could openly help her without endangering themselves. She'd seen those she trusted the most either killed or be revealed as deeply evil. Everyone she had left was a target. All because of her, as she saw it. And somebody in the soon-to-be-Alliance had to be thinking, "If she hadn't have supported Palpatine, this wouldn't have happened." Whatever Jedi were left would be too busy keeping themselves alive and looking at the Big Picture to worry about one person or one family, no matter who it was.
    Leia was part of an active rebellion at her darkest hour, with all the support that entails. She had the ability, in one way or another, to fight back. Padme was utterly alone at hers, with no hope for the future. She was burned out and crushed, hit hard in all of her most vulnerable spots, with no time to adjust, let alone recover.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We agree that she is that dependent on her husband, we just don’t like it—which is why we have an issue with that being the cause of her death. Just because “well some women are that way” does not mean we have to view it as acceptable or a positive.

I’m also not sure how dying fighting Imperials is “fan service” when that’s what Star Wars is about—good people (Jedi, Alliance/Resistance) fighting evil people (Sith, Empire/First Order). We were introduced to Padme as a character on the good side—why would we not want her to continue fighting for the good side?

Leia did not keep fighting because “she had allies.” She was not that dependent on other people or what they thought of her. If she were, she would have never had the nerve to stand up to Tarkin, nor would she have been a leader in the fight. She fought because the Empire was evil and needed to be defeated. And I can’t see Leia “losing the will to live” and going wilting flower if Han had joined the Empire, it would have made her a much worse character if she had.

Your whole paragraph basically reads as if Padme died because she was worried that nobody liked her and people would blame her for what happened. Not only does that make her dumb, because none of that is true, it just makes her a wuss, even more than being codependent on her husband, and is not the Padme I recognized from TPM and AOTC.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I did not mind that explanation for Padme's death. To me it made her human and I cried for her.

I don't think it shows weakness from her part, I never read it that way, I don't really see these things as weak or strong.

Life is fragile and people die for far less every day sadly. This just added to the pain.

I only saw it as another tragedy that happened concurrent with all the disasters that were happening at once in the Galaxy.

For me it raised the emotional stakes even higher, and of course I blame Anakin for killing her, and not her, never saw it as withdrawal.

I understand how other people might feel there should have been a different ending for her, it was left pretty vague.

22. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    No, she blamed herself for it. Again, that's how she felt at that moment, given that set of circumstances. Change any one element in that situation, and she probably would have gotten through it. That doesn't make her a wuss; that makes her human. Strong at times, but still vulnerable.
    As for Leia, she wasn't afraid to fight because she knew, even if she fell, others would've taken up the banner. (Again, see the radio adaptation for a more plain expression of this.) But, what if she found out her foster father was an Imperial loyalist all along? What if Alliance had been utterly crushed in one big Imperial attack before her capture? What if she found out Vader was her real father during the torture session? And all these things happened one after another? That'd make a change, wouldn't it?
    Everyone has a breaking point, under the right conditions. You can't really criticize Padme for reaching hers under such an avalanche of tragedy. Hey, even Captain Picard nearly broke when he thought he'd lost everything and the Cardassians offered him one bit of mercy. That's just the way people are.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, I don’t think Leia would have changed. Because she knew quitting was not an option. “Losing the will to live” was not an option. And Padme should have known that. TPM Padme certainly did, and I think AOTC Padme did as well.

And that’s what I criticize Padme in ROTS for. That and the codependency.

I have not watched much Star Trek so I can’t discuss any Picard comparisons.

24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    These are just horrible comments to me. Horrible. And in a way, I find it very judgmental . . . in an illogical way. You cannot will someone to overcome any form of despair or depression at the snap of one's fingers. The more I read comments about Padme's death, the more I realize that people generally have no true understanding what it means to suffer from despair or depression. No understanding and a general lack of compassion.

By the way, the moment Chewbacca gave in to rage and tried to kill Lando was a terrible one for him. And when Leia had refused to convince to stop, she was also being terrible as well. Both were angry and both were at their weakest. Their anger at Lando made them irrational, flawed and weak.

A well rounded character isn't one who is near ideal or nearly does everything right. That is not a good character. That is a sign of sloppy writing to me. A good character is one who possesses both strengths and weaknesses. Like any individual in real life. And I'm glad that George Lucas had never lowered himself into portraying his major characters as ideal or nearly perfect.

25. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Giving up, yes, or being overwhelmed by stress and pressure, all understandable. But can people actually DIE from that? In the real world it's more likely that people kill themselves when they can no longer deal with things. They don't really simply lie down and die. So the real cause of death is more likely suicide than dying directly from "having given up".
    I agree 100%. I suffer from depression myself, so I KNOW it's impossible to simply will yourself out of that condition. I think most other sufferers and psychiatrists would agree.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021