main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why some people hate "Padme dying of Sadness" ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Dec 28, 2020.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, he didn’t have to consider the implications, but his not considering them partially answers the question that is the title of this thread.

I think Obi-Wan in particular was hit as hard by Anakin’s turn as Padme was, and while Padme may not have been a Jedi, she had to exert emotional control to lead her planet through a hostile takeover (as a teenager!), and survive several assassination attempts only to give a speech to the Senate within an hour after one of them. And the “maybe she could do all that but Anakin falling was the proverbial last straw” does not work for me as an argument.

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    With regard to the pregnancy angle, I'm with @anakinfansince1983 in that I don't think Padme's pregnancy should have been in any way a contributing factor to her death much less a major or explicatory cause of her death for various reasons including the following:

1. Medical care in a galaxy far, far away generally seems to be at a higher standard than currently exists in our world in developed countries, and in developed countries in our world, deaths in childbirth are a very rare phenomenon. So I imagine they should be an even rarer phenomenon in a galaxy far, far away. The medical care in a galaxy far, far away is not on the level of a quasi-medieval fairy tale (and even with quasi-medieval fairy tales, many are irked with the "mother always dies in childbirth" trope, so it's not without criticism even in that context where it is at least more medically and historically appropriate).

2. Padme is a healthy woman in her twenties. She is not old enough to be experiencing increased risks of pregnancy due to her age, and even if she was, on our own world in developed countries, these risks can largely be mitigated with competent medical care, which is part of the reason why deaths in childbirth in developed countries are relatively rare despite the average age of women getting married and having children being higher than in the past.

3. The medical droid declares there to be nothing medically wrong with Padme prior to the medical droids deciding it is a good time to operate on her to save the children (with no worry at all about what would be necessary to save Padme). She has just "lost the will to live" but the medical droids state there is apparently no extra complication she is dealing with as a result of being choked by her husband. They think she is perfectly healthy apart from having "lost the will to live" so therefore her being choked very recently should therefore have no impact on how likely she is to survive childhood since the droid declared that she was otherwise healthy. For an otherwise healthy woman in her twenties to just die in childbirth with the medical care that exists in our own world in a developed country would be rare. I again imagine it would have to be even rarer for such a death to occur in the more medically advanced galaxy far, far away.

Now, my personal head canon for this is that Padme did indeed experience major complications from her husband's Force choke (why she showed up basically unconscious and needing medical care at once--not because she had a "broken heart" or had "lost the will to live" but because she had been choked by her husband) and it's her bad luck that she was apparently seen by the most incompetent medical droids in the galaxy who had no idea how to recognize or treat those complications from choking. Or recognize or treat symptoms of depression triggered as a result of sudden trauma if that is indeed what Padme was experiencing. Basically, my head canon is Padme died of a lethal combination of her husband choking her and medical malpractice from the medical droids. Nothing else really makes sense to me at this point. Since I don't believe in otherwise healthy women with access to medical care more advanced than our own in developed countries just dying of a "broken heart" or a "lost will to live."

@wobbits Thank you for being brave enough to share your own experiences with depression on this thread. I appreciate your insights based on your own experiences, and I have the deepest respect and sympathy for all those who wrestle or have wrestled with depression. [:D]

To be clear, I don't claim to be an expert in the mental health field either. I don't have a degree in psychology or a license to treat people professionally. Most of what I know about psychology comes from the "school of hard knocks" in terms of my own personal experiences and those I know as well as two college level psychology courses (a general psychology class and an educational psychology class).

My main points with regard to depression and Padme are just the following: Depression is a diagnosable condition that is not a mystery to competent medical care professionals. Competent medical care professionals are trained to recognize signs of depression and provide referrals to appropriate mental health care professionals (like psychologists and psychiatrists in our own world), so I do think that if Padme was suffering from depression that should be something the medical droids should be able to recognize and explain to Obi-Wan. It's not something that the medical droids should find mysterious and untreatable. They should at the very least be able to refer Obi-Wan to the care Obi-Wan needs to get for Padme.

That being said, to try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, I'd say that I think it is rare for anyone who is healthy to die just because they "lost the will to live" at all. It's not like otherwise healthy depressed people are regularly keeling over because their life systems are shutting down on them because they are sad or have "lost the will to live" or whatever. So to me, Padme's life systems should not just be shutting down on her because she is depressed or has "lost the will to live" or whatever. The fact that Padme's life support systems are shutting down to me suggests that something is probably medically wrong with Padme and the medical droids being their incompetent selves aren't recognizing it. Likely a complication of the choking she just received from her husband. The choking that left her unconscious. But even if Padme's life support systems are failing her because she has "lost the will to live" since they are in a medical care center, I don't know why the solution isn't to hook her up to a life support machine until she regains the will to live with psychological care if her having "lost the will to live" is really what is wrong with her and not complications from being Force-choked.

I don't actually think of Padme as being suicidal. It's not like we saw her swallow a bottle of pills or aim a blaster at her head or heart or something. And when the medical droids operate on her, she does name her children before she dies (which suggests a certain amount of engagement in her children and in the future despite the trauma she has undergone with being choked and Anakin turning to the Dark Side and the Republic falling into an Empire) and she insists to Obi-Wan that there is still good in Anakin despite what Anakin had just done to her. Honestly, her words to Obi-Wan about there still being good in Anakin sound to me quite optimistic and hopeful for someone who is supposed to be so depressed that she is dying of a broken heart or a lost will to live. Increasingly, it's come to my mind that it wasn't anything Padme said or did herself that would make me think she had "lost the will to live." Really it is only the words of the medical droid that would make me believe that and Padme's own words and actions right up to her death make me think that she hadn't lost the will to live at all. So, that makes it seem more and more likely to me that it was a case of the medical droids not recognizing and knowing how to treat whatever complications Padme suffered as a result of being choked by her husband, which would be much more believable anyway.

Even if Padme were suicidal and had actually actively taken an action to try to end her own life instead of passively just having "lost the will to live" according to the medical droid who speaks to Obi-Wan, in most developed countries in our world, I think there would be every effort made to preserve her life if she was brought to a medical facility while still alive. For example, someone who overdoses on drugs but is still alive when brought to the hospital might have their stomachs pumped. So, even in the case of suicide, if the person survives the attempt and is brought to a medical care facility, typically the response of medical care professionals isn't to hold up their hands and say there is nothing to be done because the person has lost the will to live. Instead every effort is made to preserve the life of the person in question. That's why the medical droids really failed Padme in my opinion. To my mind, they threw up their hands and declared defeat far too soon. They didn't do everything possible to save Padme's life, and that is a real tragedy to me.

Bottom line to me, though, is I think Padme did suffer medical complications from being choked by her husband, and for whatever reason, the incompetent medical droids didn't recognize that or know how to treat that. I may be going against the dialogue of the medical droid to arrive at that interpretation, but I am increasingly fine with doing that, as my response to the medical droid becomes like Luke's TLJ line: "Amazing. Every word you just said is wrong."

And that's why I think Obi-Wan looks so baffled when the droid tells him Padme is dying for a reason they don't understand and has lost the will to live instead of from any complications of being choked by her husband. Because really what the droids are saying makes zero sense. [face_dunno]

naw ibo, wobbits and DARTHLINK like this.
  3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And coupled with the fact that they induced labor, I'm leaning toward the idea that they were the ones who killed her because whoever programmed them must've not accounted for humans. I mean, do we know the species of miners they would've normally worked with? They must be familiar with humans as they had that robot with the scooper-hand-things and seemed to know how to deliver human babies.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  4. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    @DARTHLINK thank you for your earlier post. ;)

@devilinthedetails Thank you as well, I appreciate it. I don't normally divulge that sort of thing but in this case I felt like the depression excuse being bandied about as an explanation for Padme's loss of will to live isn't a fair representation of women or women who suffer from it. Just because someone is depressed does not mean they have nothing to live for or that given a choice they will give up when something gets too hard.

This is just one of those things I think that Lucas didn't really give much weight to with regards to how it might come across when taken with other elements of the saga. He just knew he needed to to get her to the point where Anakin's vision comes to fruition and he forgot about ROTJ/Leia remembering her mother. I also do not think he ever intended for people to diagnose his characters with disorders 15 years later. I just watch the movie without having to break it down based on modern day social cues. The main reason it stuck out like a sore thumb to me was because my daughter was only 5 and a half when ROTS came out so I felt the loss for the twins more than for Padme.

5. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    From a writing standpoint, Lucas basically wrote himself into a corner. He wanted ROTS to revolve around Anakin fearing for Padme's death, but Lucas already established that Leia knew her mother from when she was a very young child. And since episodic Star Wars don't ever do time skips, you're kinda stuck trying to put in excuses like baby Leia having her eyes open the whole time. It's just comes off as incredibly contrived, especially since Padme could have died from any number of things (ex. Anakin force choking her) but Lucas just put in a throwaway line about her being sad.

6. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The difference is one was in the OT, the other wasn't. [face_laugh]:p

naw ibo and FightoftheForgotten like this.
  7. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Aaaaaaaaagh!

Hmmm . . . I'm glad that Lucas had allowed Padme to die of a broken heart. It saved her from becoming a feminist cliche - an ideal woman that can do no wrong.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  8. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    As a difference, I think the jedi have their whole trying to control emotions thing. Though also I think Padme had the emotional exhaustion of the pregnancy and such as well.
    Based on what's said in ROTJ (I think, images, feelings), I don't think it's a stretch that some can think Leia's memories are connected not to direct memories.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    For the third time...why does Padme have to be written in a bad antiquated stereotype to not be considered “an ideal woman who can do no wrong”?

See these examples from earlier, none of whom are “ideal women who can do no wrong”:

Asajj Ventress certainly was not “perfect” when she ordered Savage to kill Feral, in fact that was pretty damn flawed, but she was not written in a bad stereotype either. At least not until the last third of Dark Disciple ruined her character.

Jyn Erso certainly was not “perfect” when she told Saw Guerrera that she did not want to fight the Empire and was willing to ignore it. That was also pretty damn flawed. But not a bad stereotype.

Hera Syndulla was not “perfect” when she was initially unwilling to repair the rift with her father, but she was also not written in a bad stereotype.

Leia was not “perfect” when she let Chewbacca choke Lando, but she also was not written in a bad stereotype.

Even Rey in TFA, before TLJ ruined her, was not “perfect” when she hit Finn because she thought he stole Poe’s jacket, but she was also not written in a bad stereotype, not in that movie.

...you never addressed this. If you can’t or don’t want to, that’s fine, but your pretense that the only way to keep Padme from being “perfect” or the “ideal woman who can do no wrong” is to write her in a bad antiquated stereotype still falls apart.

@dagenspear Pregnancy is not “emotionally exhausting” most of the time. That’s another bad Victorian stereotype. Some high risk pregnancies are, but not all (mine were high risk, and not “emotionally exhausting”). Padme’s pregnancy was not high risk.

10. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    In the context of this situation, I can see the idea of it being that way the character.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Even in the context of this situation, “pregnancy means women are too frail to handle stress” is Victorian.

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Female characters dying of a broken heart is itself a cliche, though. And a harmful, negative one.

Also not dying of a broken heart doesn't make anyone an ideal that can do no wrong. Most people (men and women) don't die of broken hearts, and yet most people are average folk, not ideal people who can do no wrong.

13. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Except the medical droid literally says there is nothing wrong with her physically, she's just dying. So it's pretty hard to substitute some other reason when the medical droid basically points out there IS no other reason. Usually it's old people who die of a broken heart, not otherwise very healthy young women. It was lazy writing, it may have been meant to be poetic or whatever but it was kind of insulting IMO to suggest that her broken heart at her husband's turn was more important than her two new born children or anything else. Pregnant women throughout history have managed to survive all sorts of tragedies, it's tough but women's bodies are generally made to support a pregnancy during real life which includes all sorts of tragedies The reason it used to cause a lot of deaths was due to physical issues, excessive bleeding or infection after the birth or some sort of medical reason the mother shouldn't have born children due to the technology of the time not being able to deal with a medical issue. Padme had none of them, she was just a perfectly healthy person who died of a broken heart about her husband, apparently not particularly caring that much about the two infants she was giving birth to.

14. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    What makes you think Padme had no one? Bail is no one? Mon Monthma is no on? There were clearly people who still would have been her allies, they never would have blamed her for Anakin going to behind her back and lying to everyone. And while there were obviously not many Jedi left, certainly two of the most important were STILL alive and were her allies, even though she'd been lying to them. Plus she had her children and her family back on Naboo. She didn't have "no one" anymore than anyone else did, she didn't lose anything more than many other people

Anakin? Well Obi-Wan lost Anakin too, heck he had to actually fight him. The Republic? Bail, etc lost the Republic too. The Jedi lost everything too, the younglings were slaughtered in their home The Jedi Temple, the Jedi knights and masters were killed by troops they'd fought along side with, they were completely and utterly betrayed by one of their own. Anyone who was left was now isolated and hunted.

Padme was far from the only one who supported Palpatine for power, he had to be voted in after all and she didn't do it, because at the time she wasn't a member of the Senate, she simply called for a vote of no confidence against the previous chancellor(and it was JAR JAR who had supported his emergency powers in AOTC not her) and she was one of the people who had seen that there were problems after that and were trying to put stops on his power grabs.

When it's a fictional I believe we can judge because someone had to write it and young otherwise healthy people, pregnant or not, do not usually just lay down and die because they are upset or sad. People get depressed and don't just literally lay down and die, they might kill themselves, they might go into a downward spiral that eventually leads to their death, etc but not just "OK I'm very despairing, think I'm just gonna die now" and then just die an hour later for no physical reason an advanced medical droid can explain. No one says she wouldn't or shouldn't be upset. No one I believe thinks she had to be sitting there giving birth barking out orders on what to do next to fight the new Empire. But it was literally portrayed as she popped out the kids and was like "I'm out, someone else can figure out what to do with them"(yes I'm being slightly facetious to make a point). This doesn't remotely fit with the Padme we saw not only over the two previous films but even the rest of Return of the Sith.

Dead and "defeated, weak or lame" is NOT the same thing. You can come back from "defeated, weak or lame"(and I don't recall any of the white male heroes doing any of that, defeated sure, but weak or lame? Not really). No she didn't "choose" to die, she was just so pathetic apparently that she couldn't help but die because things went badly for her, as they had just done for at least half the rest of the GFFA, including her allies in the Senate and the Jedi who'd been slaughtered by Order 66 and Anakin who personally slaughtered the Jedi children

Now I don't think she was pathetic, I think her ending was written in a way that made her look that way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  15. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Why?
    If Anakin had hurt her more, so that she got fairly serious injuries and thus the droids had to choose to save her or the children, and they choose the twins because of logic. Two lives vs one. Or her injuries were just too severe.
    Why would that make her a feminist cliche?

And not doing anything wrong?
    Padme made misstakes in the PT. She trusted Palpatine when she should not have.
    She knew what Anakin did with the Sand People and choose to keep it a secret and not suggest he talk about it or seek help.
    She married Anakin even knowing it was against Jedi rules, setting up a problem to come.
    Her "plan" on Geonosis makes no sense.
    Padme was not perfect prior to this.

And I think it a stretch and a pretty big one.
    Luke asks Leia what she REMEMBERS about her real mother.
    So it clearly is about memories.
    Leia remembers when her mother died, what her mother looked like, that she was kind to her and that she was sad about something.
    Those are pretty consistent with early memories, say 3-4 years old.
    Other lines in the RotJ script made it clear that her mother took Leia with her to Alderaan.
    Obi-Wan told Luke about it and thus his question about Leia's mother comes less out of the blue.

I've seen a lot of fan theories to explain this away and how it was not a ret-con.
    "Force-memories", "Leia is talking about Bail's first wife." "Bail talked about Padme and showed young Leia pictures."
    I find none very satisfying.
    It was a ret-con, plain and simple.
    Given how RotS was structured and how Anakin was like. Yes Padme dying makes the most amount of sense as Anakin would not let her go easily. And her dying off-screen would lack dramatic punch.
    I argue that it was possible to make a PT that was more consistent with RotJ but you would need changes.
    Like say that Padme and Anakin split up in ep II and he does not know that she is pregnant. She marries Bail and Leia is known as Bail and her child. Neither Anakin nor Sidious has reason to think otherwise.
    Then in ep III she dies.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

16. takotsubo

takotsubo Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    "Takotsubo Syndrome would be a diagnosable medical condition." -- but it is a syndrome caused by feelings... is it not? do droids understand feelings?

"Padme is also not a post-menopausal woman, but a woman who is obviously of child-bearing age and in her twenties (27 years old, I believe)" -- well... this is a long shot... but you don't have periods when carrying...

"Syndrome is most common in patients over the age of fifty, and age matters a great deal in anything cardiac related (source: Mayo Clinic). More than 90% of reported cases are in women ages 58 to 75" -- well there are some other 10% are there not?

Tristan and Iseult is a medieval work set in medieval times. Medical knowledge in medieval times was pretty poor, but medical knowledge in a galaxy far, far away is more advanced. -- well, i like the idea of him alluding to tragedies in pop culture.

17. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't see it as a big stretch. I wouldn't necessarily expect Leia to understand her memories and how she has them and such, in this situation. I didn't say it wasn't a retcon. But not one that I think is a strong issue.

It may have been able to be done like that, but I don't think it serves the overall story and character. I also think it raises more questions about Padme, what she did and how she died and such, and why she essentially only kept one kid and such.
    I was talking about the pregnancy being emotionally exhausting. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @takotsubo A medical droid would be useless if it couldn't recognize things like panic attacks from anxiety, and again Takotsubo Syndrome is a diagnoable medical condition so medical droids should be able to recognize it unless they are useless and are also wrong about what Padme is experiencing. If you're argument is that the medical droids are incompetent and failed Padme, sure, I could believe that. That's actually what I lean toward at this point. But I lean toward her not dying of Takotsubo Syndrome or depression but of complications from her husband's Force choke. The Force choke that left her unconscious.

Pregnant and post-menopausal are not the same. A women has to experience 12 consecutive months without menstruation to be considered post-menopausal. That typically happens to a women in her forties and fifties. Not in her twenties like Padme.

My point is that combining all the factors, it is astronomically rare that 1) Padme would even experience Takotsubo Syndome and 2) die from it even if she did, so therefore it would be a bad decision to have her die from it in ROTS. If that is even what she died from because again that is not the diagnosis the medical droids give.

Alluding to tragedies is fine. Deciding that a medical system capable of keeping Anakin/Vader alive after he loses multiple limbs and is burned in lava (for example) but somehow is incapable of guiding a healthy according to the medical droids woman through pregnancy without dying is not so fine in my opinion. It creates inconsistencies in worldbuilding at best and reinforces harmful stereotypes about women at worst.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @dagenspear : No confusion, so was I. Pregnancy is not emotionally exhausting for a healthy 27-year-old woman.

LOL, it’s a very long shot. Which missed by miles. Pregnancy and menopause are nothing alike.

20. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    If they had simply had the medical droid say something along the line of, Her injuries were too much for her to overcome, but we were able to save the children, it changes the scene entirely. Padme is still a weepy Anakin fan girl throughout almost all of ROTS, and has been relegated to a plot device for Anakin's turn and the birth of the twins, but it at least adds a little dignity to her character. They could have added a small moment of exposition when Padme and Obi-Wan are talking before Obi-Wan sneaks aboard her ship, where she says, I want to name it Luke if it's a boy, or Leia if it's a girl. Padme and Obi-Wan talk about if Anakin knows what she wants to name him. She says, No, we don't really talk much anymore, but we were going to raise our child on Naboo, where we could connect again. Or something along those lines. This shows that while she is upset over what is going on with Anakin, she still has the child's best interest at heart.

Edit: plus with that little detail of what she wanted to name the child, we eliminate that stupid part of her naming the kids, which always felt random and out of place. We already know what their names are because she told Obi-Wan earlier what had intended to name them. Obi-Wan, of course, relays her wishes. Again it shows her investment in raising this child instead of just randomly spewing out names before she dies.

naw ibo likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm somewhat of two minds when it comes to this.

I used to be very much opposed to the scenes. I thought it was incredibly dumb that, in a galaxy far far away with advanced medical technology, someone would just die because of the big sad. But, someone on the forums framed it within the context of an Arthurian tale, which swung me around to the concept.

However, something else I saw brought up was that, in a way, the scene is very much playing into some sexist tropes. I mean, how often do we see male characters just lose the will to live like that? Padme was her own autonomous character outside of her relationship with Anakin, but as soon as he turns to the dark side, she just straight dips out. So now I'm more on the side of not liking it.

22. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Leia says, "She died when I was very young." Very young means she was kid, like two, maybe three. No one says "very young" when they mean "just born". If your mom died when you were just born you'd say, "She died right after I was born."

naw ibo likes this.
  23. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm not sure that the following response is relevant to the topic (since the topic seems to be about one interpretation of Padmé's death), but here goes: why be so sure that a certain interpretation of a scene in a work of fiction is "the correct" interpretation? I've always thought that a better way of approaching literature is to be open to alternative interpretations that one may like better personally—that way everyone stands a better chance of having an interpretation that appeals to them.

I mention above because I've never interpreted Padmé's death as being from sadness or her losing the will to live as being from depression. Rather, I always thought of her "losing the will to live" as being a repudiation of Anakin's idea that he would do anything—including killing innocents and becoming a Sith—to save her. I know it doesn't connect up logically because Padmé doesn't seem aware that Anakin's fear that she will die during childbirth is what drove him to extremes, but it is related to the ideas that most people would not appreciate a person doing a major wrong supposedly for the former's benefit, and in such an event, the former frequently ends up "paying up" even more than they would initially have absent any intervention in an effort to make amends for the damage caused.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    That sounds great. I wish it was presented that way in the movie. I would have liked to see her have complications during childbirth (something that no one could have prevented) to really show how futile it was for Anakin to try and change destiny. But what we got was vague and (if you read the "making of" book) came late in the decision making process. It becomes more and more apparent that Lucas didn't have some grand plan concerning Padme and once ROTS rolled around, all he needed was for her to make babies and then die. It's actually a slap in the face to her character that she basically just stands around barefoot and pregnant the whole film.

25. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks for the additional information; I didn't know this previously. Nevertheless, I stick with the point of view that when it comes to fiction, the author can have their interpretation and the reader can have their own, perhaps different, interpretation, unless authorial interpretation is the point of the discussion in concern.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.