main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Wild Knights: Grasping an Ancient Fire (Obi-Wan, Siri, Garen) - Digital Specters/Completed 5/5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Five

Inside the small cell that passed for guest quarters, Obi-Wan pushed the door closed and turned to stare at Siri who stood quietly in the center of the sparse room surrounded by only a narrow cot, chair and desk. ?You are going to make us very unwelcome, very quickly,? he said sternly, half feeling as if he were lecturing Anakin.

The blond haired Jedi spun about and incredulously glared at the calm man. Her offense to his remark plainly visible in the hostile stance she took. Her hands clenched in and out of fists. ?You have not seen??

?I am quite aware of their intimidation tactics,? he said folding his arms across his chest in a well-worn fashion. Sighing, he closed his eyes. Siri may have been a lot of things, but he truly believed that if she were picking a fight it was for a reason. ?If there is something wrong??

?No,? she said quickly. The harsh lines of her expression softened. ?I have just seen too much.?

For an instant, as brief in passing as it was, Obi-Wan thought he saw something uncertain flutter in Siri?s usually bright gaze. Concerned, he took a step closer and pressed a comforting hand to her warm shoulder. He expected her to pull away, but after a second of tenseness, she relaxed. ?Siri??

?Don?t do me like Adi,? she grumbled turning to stare at him. ?She is always asking me what happened. Maybe I don?t want to talk about it.?

?About what??

Siri?s yes widened briefly, the mask she often hid behind losing its focus and revealing that she realized error. ?Nothing.?

?Maybe you should talk about it.?

She pulled away from him, crossing the small gray room they were to share. ?We have a mission??

?Siri.?

Abruptly turning, she glared at Obi-Wan, frustration bleeding into her expression. ?Leave it be.?

?You brought this up.?

She bit back. ?You are just like your master, listening to no one but himself.?

?It is not the first time I have been accused of that,? he said quickly, not wanting to hear her other thoughts vocalized. ?Besides, he listened to the Force, himself and then no one else. If you are going to insult his honor, do it correctly.?

When she opened her mouth to say something more, Obi-Wan realized that he too had said more than he had intended and quickly busied himself. He carried his pack to the small desk and chair in the corner opposite the private ?fresher unit.

In the warmth of the room, Obi-Wan pulled the flowing material of his reddish brown cloak free of his shoulders and gently folded it over the chair back. Behind him, the soft creak and shift of cloth drew his attention.

Turning, he noticed that Siri had planted herself in the center of the narrow cot that made up the final piece of furniture in the room. She brushed her fingers over the drab material of a second unfurled bedroll at the foot of the bed. Squeezing the combination of weaves, she checked the firmness of the non-existent mattress. ?Hmm, not the most comfortable,? she said softly, ?but it will do.? Grinning, as if oblivious to the conversation moments ago, she glanced up meeting Obi-Wan?s concerned gaze. ?So where are you going to sleep??

?The floor apparently.?

Siri leaned back against the wall, seductively crossing one leg over the other and with one of her booted toes, pointed toward a wide space on the floor. Whatever had been bothering her was now hidden behind her eyes and sealed away under tight mental shielding. ?I could share,? she lightly teased, ?but it would be a little crowded. It is an awful narrow bed. A tight squeeze.?

Ignoring her game, Obi-Wan sank to the chair and took a moment to take in the drab room. It was no more interesting than the snowy surroundings outside, save that it was warm. ?This is a common quarters,? he dully stated. ?Generally, two share the room, one on duty and the off. They do not need two cots, just two bedrolls.?

?How do you know so much about them?? she asked, straightening.

He leaned into the wooden back of the chair, propping his elbow on it. ?About eleven years ago, Qui-Go

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Why do I get the feeling there are a lot of buried feelings amongst our heroes that are going to be most painfully revealed before all is said and done?

I loved how you showed both of their fears and uncertainties in regards to their respective positions. His comment about Qui-Gon and who he listened to was incredibly revealing of his feelings.

Great work, Red! It doesn't matter how long the posts are - I'll read 'em however I can get 'em! :D

Shaindl

3. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    excellent look at their differing viewpoints. She could see that he still has some residual issues with buckethead's treatment of him and he could see that she is letting her past determine her actions more than the present

love the details in this story and the way you are building their characterizations.

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Beautifully done. I liked the differing viewpoints and how they both had something to hide. I hope that those thoughts and feelings will be revealed in time.

Please write as long or short a post as you like. I'm sure that we will not complain except to say...more, please.

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm truly enjoying your Siri and her relationship with Obi-Wan. :) * giggles at Shaindl and Nat * Garen Gropers! :p

6. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    It seems Siri and Obi-Wan have more in common than they are aware of, their pain just manifests itself differently in each. They are a very interesting pair and I love how they interact. :)

7. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    "The Force, himself and then no one else"== that sounds like old Buckethead, well accept for the Force part, I think sometimes he mistook himself for the Force but he did believe it was the Force so I guess it's still valid. :)

Really excellent installment, RRK. Love the interaction between the two Jedi friends. I'm still trying to figure out how Siri made Knight with that attitude of hers, especially seeing as she apparently hadn't even discussed everything with her master. I can't wait to see Garen. :D When is he showing up?

8. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    OE!

Hey! I think you should take a look at naw-ibo - Nat and I aren't the only ones who are Garen Gropers! And need I remind you dear, that there is now a place for Garen in the Shrine? :D

And so the debate/discussion/heated arguments begin, Red. Seems no one brings that out of us more than you! :)

Shaindl

9. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Shaindl?Why do I get the feeling there are a lot of buried feelings amongst our heroes that are going to be most painfully revealed before all is said and done? [color=E4317F]??[/color] I don?t know, why? 8-}

Froggy?love the details in this story and the way you are building their characterizations. [color=E4317F]??[/color] Thank you! [face_blush]

dianethx?Please write as long or short a post as you like. I'm sure that we will not complain except to say...more, please. [color=E4317F]??[/color] Lucky you then because today?s post is extra long compared to my usual. :)

obi ew?Garen Gropers! [color=E4317F]??[/color] Poor guy, hasn?t even shown up yet and people are all ready grabbing for him. [face_love]

Sheila?It seems Siri and Obi-Wan have more in common than they are aware of, their pain just manifests itself differently in each. [color=E4317F]??[/color] Maybe they can find some common ground and heal some wounds.

naw ibo?I can't wait to see Garen. When is he showing up? [color=E4317F]??[/color] At the most interesting moment?.

Shaindl?And so the debate/discussion/heated arguments begin, Red. Seems no one brings that out of us more than you! [color=E4317F]??[/color] And I am not even trying this time! [face_shocked]

10. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Six

Siri growled as she sifted her position, drawing her legs up on the cot. ?The sooner we get this mission over, the sooner I can leave this frozen wasteland.?

?It is not so bad.?

?Says you. I?m freezing.?

?You do not look so cold now.?

Roughly, she tugged at the edge of her cloak in an exaggerated action. Then she reached into the folds of the dark material and produced an ultra thin data reader.

Obi-Wan remained still, watching her scroll through the mission file. A little worried that she jumped from one discussion to another so quickly as if she were running from something inside. She had not always been like that. At least he had never noticed it, not in the times they had bumped into each other in the Temple, not since the end of her undercover assignment to take down the slaver. The change was more recent, he thought.

?I always thought the Prak?sha was a myth,? she muttered, leaning forward slightly but never offering to move from the center of the cot.

?The lightsaber itself is real. The legend surrounding it may be another matter.? He did not need to peruse the mission file. He had gone over it quite extensively on the transport to Selvax. The legend had always held a place in his heart.

A youngling?s tale filled with verifiable facts.

Every little initiate for many generations had been told the tale of the Prak?sha. Woken from a good night?s sleep, the younglings would be led from their rooms, through the quiet Temple to the Great Assembly Hall. Glow rods and lanterns the only light allowed.

Obi-Wan always been certain the initiate supervisors had chosen the hall for the resonance it gave their voices as they told the story.

He could still remember Masters Na?tho and Triamvar herding their groups of sleepy and excited younglings together. Na?tho sitting among a few of the youngest initiates while the tall and beautiful Togruta, Triamvar, walked about the circle in her flowing robes.

While other younglings drowsily obeyed their teachers, a six-year-old Obi-Wan and his best friend Garen wiggled in excitement, eager for adventure. He still remembered looking into the darkened chamber, filled with a thousand shadows from the small lights the masters had brought with them.

The race of his heart when Master Triamvar stepped to the center of the circle and placed a single lantern on the floor before retreated beyond the line of small bodies. The other lanterns went out leaving only the one in the center of the room. Beautiful white light cascaded from the center of the circle.

Looking up from her data reader, Siri broke into a wide grin and smoothly waved a hand about in the air. ?Let me tell you a story of old,? she said in high, formal voice, much like the one Triamvar had spoken with as she voiced similar memories.

Laughing, Obi-Wan settled into the chair. ?They were not much for originality.?

?They were entertaining sleepy six-year-olds.?

The somber mood in the room lifted with shared smiles and memories of Triamvar?s story.

Dormus Escario was a Jedi Master Historian who lived nearly five thousand years earlier. More than a thousand years before the age that would be remembered for Jedi like Nomi Sunrider.

The scholar, Dormus, had spent many long years researching and collecting the myriad stories and histories attributed to the ancient Bendu monks. He had believed that were they not gathered and preserved would be lost to time. He felt that the Jedi were the sum of their whole and they could not be complete missing so much of their early history.

His works formed the basis of what would eventually become the Temple library.

Consumed by the teachings of the early Bendu mystics that first explored the Force, Dormus abandoned the civilized world choosing to live many decades as a hermit.

?This is where the legend begins,? Siri said, the skepticism heavy in her voice.

?You cannot imagine he would look younger upon reemerging from his self imposed exile??

?I think it was confusion. Seven decades is a

11. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    ?She who takes shower first, sleeps on floor,? he mumbled before drifting off to sleep.

lol, somehow i think something a lot closer than the phantom lightsaber is going to come to haunt him in a little while.

great story.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    How interesting. Force ghosts and a haunted lightsaber. No light without darkness...hummmm.

And Obi-Wan had had enough prophesies already.

Wonderful post. I wonder what is really bothering Siri. I'm sure we will find out eventually...

Loved the race to the shower and Obi-Wan wins the cot!!!

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    :) Sweet.

14. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    I'm late! Six chapters late! aghh! Thats way to many chapters of another excellent RRK fic to miss!

I'm already addicted, and looking for my next hit!

I don't know a lot about Siri, but I like the way you write her...and Obi.

Ya know, I wouldn't have minded Obi taking a shower...

15. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I enjoyed how your revealed the prophesy behind the missing lightsaber intermingled with Obi-Wan and Siri's own reactions to the story. And that playful interaction at the end was priceless. :)

16. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    **flustered out-of-breath padawan careens onto thread, frantically trying to smooth down mussed fur and straighten wrinkled robes**

Sorry, Master, ran into some DRL and had to take care of it :p

**Padawan brandishes lightsaber**

:D :D

**Happy excited padawan begins to bounce up and down on Master's thread**

Whoopeeeee! A ghost story [face_fuzzily happy]

**more multicolored bouncing**

I really like the description so far. Ice planet makes me very very happy that I have fur :p . Obi is so serene seeming next to Siri's rather rough edges. I also really like the idea of the Golian peacekeepers. Rather blood-thirsty, but sometimes diplomacy does not do the trick and you must fight nastiness on its own terms.

.........Flash

17. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Nice passage between the two of them. [face_laugh] I knew it would be fun!

This prophecy, on the other hand, has got me intrigued...
    And no, I will not give in to the temptation to say that Garen was mentionned. Oops, too late. :D

18. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Froggy? lol, somehow i think something a lot closer than the phantom lightsaber is going to come to haunt him in a little while. [color=FDD017]??[/color] Now why would you think that, Froggy dear?

dianethx?How interesting. Force ghosts and a haunted lightsaber. No light without darkness...hummmm. [color=FDD017]??[/color] And our favorite Jedi in search of it. :) [color=FDD017]??[/color] And Obi-Wan had had enough prophesies already. The Prophesy of the Chosen One is enough to ruin any obedient Padawan?s day.

obi ew?Sweet [color=FDD017]??[/color] :D

Phoenix?I'm late! Six chapters late! aghh! Thats way to many chapters of another excellent RRK fic to miss! [color=FDD017]??[/color] Oh don?t worry, JKH I pulled a fast one on everyone and posted it a month earlier than I told them. :) [color=FDD017]??[/color] Ya know, I wouldn't have minded Obi taking a shower... [color=FDD017]??[/color] Oh, not to worry, there is one coming up?.

Sheila?And that playful interaction at the end was priceless. [color=FDD017]??[/color] 8-} It can?t all be bottled up emotions and hurt if this is supposed to be a light hearted tale.

Wookiee ?flustered out-of-breath padawan careens onto thread, frantically trying to smooth down mussed fur and straighten wrinkled robes* [color=FDD017]??[/color] Uh huh. Off playing in the trees again, Padawan? ;) [color=FDD017]??[/color] Obi is so serene seeming next to Siri's rather rough edges. [color=FDD017]??[/color] :) Oh, I am sure it won?t always be that way.

Nat?And no, I will not give in to the temptation to say that Garen was mentioned. Oops, too late. You posted while I was writing up my replies. :) It?s a good thing you have will power. [face_laugh]

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * Slips Red a 50 to keep the Garen Gropers salivating as they wait anxiously for Garen * :D

20. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    First the post...

Wonderful, Red! I think it must be difficult to write something like a ghost story that has so many clichés attached to it. In other words, everyone has an idea of what a ghost story should be like, what it should contain, etc, that make it hard to create one. Then to bring that into a fictional universe makes it all the more challenging - you did a marvelous job with it (I hope that made sense...).

And now for OE's most ridiculous assertions that I am a "Garen Groper". You really must ignore her - I think the luxury of her vacation time is affecting her mind.

**whistles innocently while passing a Canadian $100 (have to make up the exchange rate, y'know) under the table to Red. We'll see him soon right?** :D

Can't wait for more soon!

Shaindl

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * shakes head sadly * Geez Red ! I bet you are wishing right about now that you had known about the infamous Garen Gropers before you included him in your fic! * drags in a life sized cut out of Episode 1 Obi, a bottle of wine and a dozen roses * Here Red! ;)

22. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    What?!? No post? I missed a day I was looking forward to two posts to read. :( ::sniff::

Terrific post yesterday RRK. Really loved the "ghost story", it was really well done.

Very funny at the end. LOL! Hey, you know she wanted the shower. :D

23. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    [face_completely innocent]

"Who, me, in the trees. Now whatever would give you that idea, Master?"

*pulls twigs from head fur and shakes conspicuous leaf debris out of robes*

:D :p

So is Obi going to see ghosts when he finally gets his hands on the lightsaber? Somehow I can picture him standing in the Jedi Temple facing the council and saying,
    "I see dead people."

*snicker snicker* Yoda is going to whap him with his gimmer stick [face_laugh]

24. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love the idea of ghost stories being told to the young initiates. Something tells me Obi-Wan will be having a chat with that ghostie before the end of this tale.

Did he learn that bed stealing trick from years of living with his master, perhaps?

25. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    obi ew?*Slips Red a 50 to keep the Garen Gropers salivating as they wait anxiously for Garen* [color=6A287E]??[/color] Hmmm?think Indiana Jones minus the Fedora and whip. :) Rushing in to save?the treasure?

Shaindl?I think it must be difficult to write something like a ghost story that has so many clichés attached to it?Then to bring that into a fictional universe makes it all the more challenging - you did a marvelous job with it (I hope that made sense...). [color=6A287E]??[/color] Perfect sense. :) Thanks! Yes, this certainly is a twisted tale. Still, I think my main inspiration is Raiders of the Lost Ark. The ghosts?well, you?ll see. [face_devil] [color=6A287E]??[/color] **whistles innocently while passing a Canadian $100 (have to make up the exchange rate, y'know) under the table to Red. We'll see him soon right?** [color=6A287E]??[/color] ::counts money:: Yup, in the next two weeks or so?that?s all I am going to say. Did I mention Indiana Jones minus hat and whip? Plus leather, lightsaber, leather, blaster and did I mention lots of leather?

obi ew?* shakes head sadly * Geez Red ! I bet you are wishing right about now that you had known about the infamous Garen Gropers before you included him in your fic! * [color=6A287E]??[/color] I just didn?t think they would be clamoring for him even before he showed up.

naw ibo?What?!? No post? I missed a day I was looking forward to two posts to read. [color=6A287E]??[/color] Sorry, but it is one I am sure of many non-posting days to come.

Wookiee? *pulls twigs from head fur and shakes conspicuous leaf debris out of robes* [color=6A287E]??[/color] ::shakes head sadly at the mess left on the floor:: I suppose I should be happy that you didn?t come in after swimming in Froggy?s pond. 8-} [color=6A287E]??[/color] So is Obi going to see ghosts when he finally gets his hands on the lightsaber? Somehow I can picture him standing in the Jedi Temple facing the council and saying, "I see dead people." [color=6A287E]??[/color] Hmmm?.

PadawanKitara?Something tells me Obi-Wan will be having a chat with that ghostie before the end of this tale. [color=6A287E]??[/color] Possibly?then again, it could all be a legend.

I will have a post up sometime today. Really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.