main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Willow - Sequel Series Premieres November 30, 2022

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Krueger, May 13, 2018.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I wouldn’t have renewed D+ on principle if I knew they’d be removing the show.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    So let's see. How many characters from the tv show were in or referenced in the movie so if they ever do try to take another snap at a tv show those characters would still be canon and could be a part of a new series attempt?

Obviously Willow

The Queen from the show.

Elora Danon (though they could really do anything with this character that they wanted to since she was only a baby in the movie).

That's pretty much it isn't it. All the other characters from the show were creations specifically for the 2022 series right?

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There was also a brownie cameo, which amounted to pretty much nothing.

4. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I sometimes worry that I'm becoming old before my time or paranoid due to things like my insistence on owning physical media, my fear of streaming services altering or deleting exclusive "content", and that "content" being cynically made to be disposable in the first place. This news makes my concerns feel justified. I was planning on watching the Willow series at some point, but I guess that won't be happening now. [face_waiting]

5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    You didn't miss much. I tried to make it all the way through prior to it being taken off and only made it to about episode 5 before I gave up for the second time.

6. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I'm a lot more interested in checking out the Chris Claremont/George Lucas sequel novels than I was this series. Still, it's the principle of the thing.

DartJackson and BlackRanger like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ I read the first one of those and had no desire to read any more.

8. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    It's interesting that Lucas went after someone who was primarily a comic book writer and who had limited experience writing novels to write a sequel to his movie.

I know Lucas is a comic book fan but you'd think getting someone on board who was primarily a novelist would have been the better plan if his sequel was going to be novels.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't recall having any issues with the way it was written. My objections came from the plot and characterizations.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    George Lucas was not involved in the Willow books at all, his name was added to the cover to increase sales. Chris Claremont wrote a fantasy series that was purchased by Lucasfilm and retrofitted into Willow after the fact.

11. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Is that what happened? Never heard that story before.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Bavmorda , fin raziel and chrendella were all mentioned in 2022 so was Kael

the shadow war trilogy was interesting I'm looking forward to the supernatural encounters willow chapters that will tie into them . it already had one tie I liked

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  13. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Not what happened. Claremont met with Lucas before writing the books and was given directives from Lucasfilm about what characters he could use.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jon Kasdan said Lucas wasn’t involved at all.

15. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    And Claremont has said he met with Lucas in person before starting the project. A personal meeting is far more than tie-in writers generally receive with Lucasfilm properties.

16. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    This books based on outlined and stories created by George Lucas (for cancelled second, third and four films). You are not right.

Claremont himself in interviev said that Lucas was really involved. Although not so much immersed in their writing. But those were Lucas' stories. And Clairmont worked for Lucas.

In Kasdan series GL not contributing. They only talked about it a little on the set of Solo.

You may confuse this with Alien Chronicles.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    So I wonder if bootlegged copies of this show will ever start appearing. Not that I would be interested in getting one but I wonder if people who really wanted to see it could find a way to track one down.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's definitely still available via internet methods but I'm waiting for it to pop up on a FAST service like Tubi or something.

This thread title kind of needs an update, eh? So that was 6 months total it was available?

BlackRanger likes this.
  19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep November 30th to May 26th. And the entire completed series would have been on there for less than five months. Makes you realize that the show was just something they did because they were strictly looking for more content and it wasn't something they really cared all that much about.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think it was a mistake by Iger I liked the Willow show and wanted to see season 2 and 3

21. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Well there is always hope for a reboot. Course it might be another thirty years before that would happen.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  22. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Best casting in a Lucasfilm project since Disney took over. They deserved another season.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I don't know if I'll be alive in 30 years I'm 42 and in poor health.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The grown up Elora was pretty great

ezekiel22x likes this.
  25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Well with everything that is currently going on with the strikes it now looks like this was removed not so much because it was so terrible but because they likely new they weren't going to make more seasons and didn't want to pay the people involved the kind of residuals that they would have to pay for something that was essentially just sitting there.

I'd expect to see a lot more of that in the coming years. The days of streaming sites essentially being a huge library of content are probably over. They will just have stuff on there that is currently profitable for them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023