main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Would it have been impressive if

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CLee, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Totally this

Sort of going with the idea of whether it's "impressive" for the dark side to be stronger or not - I know EU/other new stuff has Sith Lords (or otherwise dark side aligned people) redeeming themselves and turning back to the light every second Tuesday, but I strongly feel the intention was that it's something that had really never happened before

I don't think Yoda or Obi-Wan considered the possibility Anakin might renounce the dark side because as far as they knew, every Jedi in history up to that point who turned also ended up dying on the dark side

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Show me where they say "Kill Darth Vader." Go ahead. I'll wait. This is the oblique setup. They tell him to confront Vader, not Palpatine, in order to become a Jedi. Luke has to decide on what to do with his fate and that of his father. Telling Luke to kill makes Luke an assassin which is not the Jedi way.

The Sith were destroyed once through numerous acts of betrayal, which the Jedi exploited and then used to kill the rest save for Bane. This was that.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conquer

Nowhere does it say kill. Lucas and Kasdan were so good at what they created that you have convinced yourself that is not the case.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  3. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Of course that is implied. No, Ben's ghost didn't directly tell Luke to kill his father. But any good and wise mentor would have corrected his apprentice right there and then. What he should have said is "no Luke, you misunderstand. I'm NOT asking you to kill your father but face him, maybe find a way to make him turn back to the light side. Killing is not the Jedi way". Once again he comes across as a huge liar and hypocrite, in fact not much better than Sidious. A liar who wouldn't even admit to lying after Luke found out the truth.
    Sorry Lucas, but this kind of "teaching" cast the Jedi in general in a bad light. When you clearly see your apprentice is confused and conflicted, you don't speak in riddles and tell lies. You speak clearly and make him understand, not make him guess your meaning. I fully agree with others who feel the Jedi and their teachings are flawed.
    Exactly! Then why didn't he say so when Luke obviously misunderstood?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  4. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I think it's likely that, given their smiling reunion at the end of RotJ, Yoda thought a bit that Anakin could be turned back though it was not really likely, had told Obi-Wan about it who had a little hope it could happen but thought it was really unlikely and really didn't want to increase Luke's hopes and especially his attachment to Vader.

BlackRanger likes this.
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    where does Sarge say "Kill Darth Vader." Go ahead , I'll wait.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because Luke has to decide for himself on what to do with Vader. Luke has wanted to kill Vader for three years, which is why he failed in the cave. He now knows that Vader is his father and he is conflicted about what to do. He cannot destroy him, but he cannot deny that he loves him. Luke must face his father and come to terms with his actions. If he cannot save him, then he has to kill him. This is what being a Jedi is about. Making choices and trusting both his instincts and his feelings.

"In coming back to see Yoda, we have to figure out Luke’s training and the fact that he never finished his training, and that obviously now he’s got a big question he wants answered. There is a point where the hero has to be left alone on his own two feet without anybody there to help him. And you can sort of have him be in a different place or something, but at some point you have to say well now all the props have been taken away, and he has to face the evil monster alone. In this case, the scene establishes that the evil monster is actually his father, and he’s going to have to do it upon his own, and that he’s really not equipped to do it. That he was too impatient, he didn’t finish his studies, and now he’s going to be half trained to face a difficult physical and emotional challenge."

--George Lucas, Return of the Jedi commentary, 2004.

"Even though at some point Yoda and Ben interfered, I eventually decided that they couldn’t connect physically with what Luke was doing. I felt that one of the major issues in the third film is that Luke is finally on his own and has to fight Vader and the Emperor by himself. If you get a sense that Yoda or Ben is there to help him or to somehow influence him, it diminishes the power of the scene."

--George Lucas, ROTJ: The Annotated Screenplays, 1997.

Obi-Wan is not lying about why he wants Luke to face Vader. This is his Jedi trial. He cannot tell him how to pass it. Just like he had to decide how to defeat Maul on Naboo. Just like Yoda doesn't tell Kanan and Ezra how to proceed. Kanan figured out that could not force Ezra to follow the Jedi path. He just had to trust him. And Ezra had to realize that destroying the Sith was not his destiny. Every Jedi has to find their own way.