main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    my dad enjoyed the first film and was surprised when he saw a commercial on tv for the 2nd one. he said he'll probably be seeing it in theaters

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    That's really cool! I'm really psyched for it now... I love the places that they filmed it! :D My friends and I are going on opening night.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    more than likely i'll see this opening day just not at a midnight showing if they're even doing that.

4. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    ARRRR! Some new Pirates of the Caribbean have arrived in Disneyland!

[image=http://www.dlrp.fr/news/upload/us/DLR/MK/pirates/aafigures/sparrowdlr04.jpg]

[image=http://www.dlrp.fr/news/upload/us/DLR/MK/pirates/aafigures/sparrowdlr01.jpg]

[image=http://www.dlrp.fr/news/upload/us/DLR/MK/pirates/aafigures/sparrowdlr05.jpg]

5. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    the official site has a few spoilers espcially about norrington and will turners father so just to let you know

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    My theater's got a 12:01. I hope to make it because I have plans for that weekend.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    hmmm. care to elaborate for us?

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    The first film was enjoyable and great escapism, but I hardly think it deserves to be saved for the ages via the theme park ride. That's like changing Autopia to fit into Rush Hour 2. :(

9. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I guess the ?premiere? was last night [for the actors/actresses and celebrities] because E! had coverage of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom walking down the red carpet and signing autographs. Governor Arnold was there as well, Depp mentioned finishing up Pirates 3 and thanked the fans. They also gave you a small sneek peek at the re-vamped ride.

10. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Well the first review of is up at RT and its positive.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I think the 2 hr 45 min run time is true. My theater already has times up for opening day and there is 3hr 15 min between movies.

12. Clayface

Clayface Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2006
    Eh, I don't pay much attention to critics, if any.

I'll probably see this opening day. I'm not sure that it will live up to its predecessor, but it shouldn't disappoint either way.

:)

Edit: Keith Richards WILL Show Up in "Pirates 3"

13. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    My Fan Force already has tickets to go see this on opening day

we are all going dressed in Pirate garb.

14. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    A friend told me, though I'm not sure if he's telling the truth, that Jack Sparrow dies and Barbossa comes back.

15. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    You know what we're going to do? I changed the thread title to inform users that this thread is the spoiler thread. No need to highlight the spoilers anymore. :)

There is currently no non-spoiler PotC thread so if someone wants to make one, go right ahead.

16. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I've heard that Barbossa is back but it would make absolutely no sense to kill off Jack in POTC 2. Besides at the premiere he mentioned finishing up POTC 3. As far as I'm concerned, Jack's safe.

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't think so either. Aren't they remodeling the PotC rides to include Jack Sparrow? Why would they go through all that only to kill him?

18. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    From what I've heard, Jack Sparrow does die. He goes to Purgatory where he finds Barbossa. So he's not really in heaven nor hell. I think then the movie ends as a cliffhangar similar to Matrix Reloaded. I got that info in another JC POTC thread, but don't recall where at the moment.

Did they film POTC II and III simaltanously? When is three expected to be released?

19. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004

I don't have any idea when III is being released maybe next year? If the story plays out that way, you know that Jack will come back in III somehow.

20. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    well if u didnt know, bootstrap bill joins jack sparrows crew after he escapes the flying dutchman, also norrington joins the crew for a brief moment in the movie as he has been kickd out of service, but he wants to claim the dead mans chest for himself thinking he will be able to get back into the royal british navy. also Ragetti and Pintel also join jacks crew. Also ive read a decent summary of the whole film, does anyone know why barbossa turns up at the end all of a sudden. im thinking he may have been resurected because aftre the credits finish in POTC1 you see his monkey jack touch the gold and become cursed once again, any connection? I also heard Jack does die, but they probably find some resureection thingie in the third to bring him back, the dead mans chest also contains davey jones heart because apprently jones ripped it out because he was heartbroken, destroying the heart means you destroy davey jones and he crew can return to their normal selves. Im starting to think geoffrey rush has a much bigger role in the third film as his character barbossa is listed 4th,

21. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Well, IGN posted a quite positive review. Looks like it may be even better than the first.

22. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    i never listen to critics, well only on the off chance when i agree with them. either way i've got my tickets for the opening night, 8:30pm thursday 6th july.:D

23. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I've also got my tickets, the film looks great. :D

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    For those of you who do pay attention to critics, Dead Man's Chest currently has a 60% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Mixed reviews.

25. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well I saw it tonight. Bad news, guys. I loved the first one, but this was? atrocious. Terrible. Awful. Brain-destroying. Rubbish. Utter, utter garbage. One of the most disappointing films I have ever seen.

I'm still recovering. For what it is worth, though, the rest of the audience was laughing in all the right places. I guess it'll do well with the general public. A few SFX sequences were great, but other than that, the jokes were almost all flat, some cringe-worthy; there is no plot at all, to the point where I was confused for the first half of the film as there was NO REASON FOR THEM TO BE DOING ANYTHING; Keira Knightly appears to be making a decent attempt to actually turn orange towards the end of the film; and there is just one absolutely awful, awful matrix rip-off scene that had me wanting to leave the theatre.

Oh well, if nothing else at least it makes the original look like Citizen Kane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.