main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yo Joe!" G.I. Joe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I mean, it's a teenage-level sci-fi/military action romp. What did everyone expect? Full Metal Jacket? It's based on a line of children's action figures. You're not going to get philosophical gravitas or high drama. You're going to get eye-popping action scenes and loads of escapist fun. Count me in!!

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I get a "meh" feeling from the trailer. I might catch it at a matinee showing when it comes out

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    "Escapist fun" does not need to mean "throw quality out the window." Iron Man? That was escapist fun. Wolverine? That was escapist fun too. But Iron Man was a heck of a lot better.

4. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    I loved Iron Man too.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    For the record, cinematic quality is of peak importance to me. Iron Man is a damn good recent example of a finely crafted action film that satisfies my urge to shout "YEAH!" in excitement at the screen, while I'm also enjoying the subtleties and aesthetics of the filmmakers' craft.

The director of GI JOE has previously made two excellent action films, The Mummy and its superior sequel. Based on that resume and what I've seen from the trailers, I have high hopes for GI JOE. If it fails to deliver a-la Van Helsing, which was execrable nonsense, I will be among the first to say so.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [:D]

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Same.

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Noticed the novelization in the bookstore yesterday

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    the action sequence with the power suits was directly lifted from transformers the first movie.

it was sad.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I don't think it's "sad" at all. I think it looks like fun! "Power suits" as a concept are not exactly a novel idea, and the Transformers cartoon did not mark the first appearance of this motif/technology/plot element, regardless of whether it was your first experience with them.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The new TV spot that started airing this week (I forget if I caught it during the MTV movie awards or Conan) is a remarkable improvement over the past trailers and TV spots- it's the first one that made the movie look like it could be good. It lacks the extreme awkwardness of the trailers, even though it's using most of the same footage, it's cut much more smoothly and coherantly.

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm glad to read some positive opinions about this movie for a change! I haven't seen the TV spots, but I'll look out for them. Is there any new footage featured in them at all?

13. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    The MTV spot showed an extended scene from the Paris attack sequence. I really thought it flowed well, and gave me an indication this can really be a great popcorn flick.

I thought the power suits looked great -- there's a nice fusion of CGI and live-action footage.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's some, yes- at least an extended version of some of the scenes we've seen.

This is the one I'm referring to.

There's another new Tv spot here as well- though it's not quite as good, and is obviously playing off of Iron Man's trailer.

15. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    That's not a new one. That's the Super Bowl ad.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops, you're right- been a long time since i saw it.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It just looks like so much fun! Naysayers be darned: This looks and feels like GI JOE, and I'm paying 8.50 for a ticket on opening night, with the Snake Eyes action figure I bought in 1983 sticking out of my shirt pocket, end of story. :D

18. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    This does not sound good.

Sommers long ago pulled up all the slack that Deep Rising gave him. And then he just kept pulling until the rope snapped.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    None of that article is substantiated by other sources. It could be complete hogwash designed to feed into fans' gripes about the trailer. Like the commenter noted, "How does this guy know what Paramount's test-audience track record is? Where did he get those figures?" Frankly, I don't believe a word of it.

At any rate, Sommers made mega-blockbuster hits with the first two Mummy movies, and can obviously handle action, CGI FX and light humor quite well. I'll make my decision the day I see the film whether it's good or not, and not before.

20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I agree. People were saying Transformers was a bomb and a piece of crap before it came out. I've been counting down the days for this to come out and no amount of whiny fans will ruin this movie for me. :)

Until I've seen the movie any and all reviews of the movie are going in the recycling bin of my mind.

Yo Joe.

21. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    To me, the quality of the movie is irrelevant because of Sienna Miller's role. I'll go to see her just like I saw Van Helsing to see Kate Beckinsale.

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Jeffrey Wells is usually spot-on-the-money with his columns, however -- he's about as plugged-into-it and as connected as you can be in the industry as a writer, and his inside info turns out to be correct 95% of the time. If he puts up an article about there being trouble in G.I. Joe paradise, there's almost certainly something wrong.

And much of this comes straight from producer Don Murphy himself (or rather, from his website).

Then again, it can only truly be G.I. Joe if it is so bad, so campy, so bizarre, as to be mind-boggling. Otherwise, it'll just be a huge waste of time. Yet, Stephen Sommers' Van Helsing was the kind of bad that hasn't been done since Cool as Ice. A masterpiece of terrible. My perverse love for that movie knows no bounds.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Wells may be "spot-on", as you say, but that article is just quoting another person's report -- not Dan Murphy himself, but member pennamed "End Times". Wells himself asks the pointed questions: "How does this guy know what Paramount's test-scoring history is? Does he have all the stats? If so, how did he get them?" Wells further notes: "Someone needs to call around and verify and round this out.

I will continue to be skeptical of this report until it is corroborated. Even then, I'll hold out hope the movie will be good anyway, because many is the film that's been saved in the editing room.

BTW, there's an update on Wells' article now. While not exactly positive about the film, it still calls into question the validity of this "End Times" personage, who was reportedly lying about at least one thing, namely Sommers' removal from the film.

Update: Movieline's Kyle Buchanan posted a followup a few hours ago, the gist saying that "sources" have told him that Sommers is still on the film.

So I got in touch with my guy and here's what he said: "The bottom line is that you don't read stuff like this about a film that's working. The bad buzz around G.I. Joe has been swirling around for a long time. The studio knows it's a bomb and is trying to mitigate the disaster.

"Sommers' complete autonomy got them into this mess, but he doesn't have it anymore. He was petulant and demanding throughout the production and got his way at ever turn, until now. This isn't about his final cut nor anyone's respective 'vision' as they're now mightily endeavoring to get a version of this film together that's releasable and can get the biggest opening possible.

"One person at Paramount said it's the weakest major release since Escape From L.A. Any hopes for a new tentpole are completely gone."

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Escape From LA looked better than this, though (and was bizzarely amusing- though not as much as the behind-the-scenes footage of the depth-perception-handicapped-eye-patch-wearing Kurt Russell trying to sink the baskets). Then again, I never saw EFNY to comapre it to. Still, bruce Campbell as a twisted plastic surgeon? Magnificent.

It's a shame though- if this movie bombs too hard, it'll likely ruin any chances of a proper GI Joe movie being made one day.

25. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    Maybe the harder this film bombs, the quicker a reboot will happen.

Still ... I'm not giving up on Sommers' work though -- especially not based on the latest editorial posted in this thread. The article read like it was written by some angry movie blogger, and not from a journalist. There's no sources, and no info supporting the "Escape From L.A." claim.

I don't get the Sommers hate. I thought the first two Mummy films were spectacular, and Van Helsing was a little over bloated. Why doesn't this mention that Larry Hamma was brought in, and gave his approval.

I'll be the final judge, and I can't wait to see it.