main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is a version of that for mothers of sons, which can be summed up as "If I don't like you, I will make you go away."

I admit the sentiment is tempting. But the meme is spot-on.

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's why I deleted the Twitter accounts I created in 2010 and 2013 about a week after creating them.

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Sometimes I have things to say that aren't, and then I use Twitter.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  5. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009

One of the killings was in Michigan? Holy flurking schnit! An old female classmate I keep in touch with on Facebook is a runner, and is married with children. I hope she's heard of this and is careful.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I hope she is, too.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    interesting rando blog article about my favorite fantasy series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen and how the anthropologists that wrote it logically arrived at a gender egalitarian but nonetheless medieval world by examining the effect that the widespread practice of healing magic would have on a society's development

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I found that series really hard to get into, pace wise, but I do recall there being NDB about any of the Bridgeburners, Assassins or the Empress being women. Or the mages guild, though I can't recall much there.

Basically it's not Terry Goodkind, and we ought be grateful..

9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

Ah, I recall having read this. Yes, it's quite interesting given how the advancement of medicine had this exact effect on many societies. Good stuff.

Jedi Merkurian and Rogue_Ten like this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

its really ****ing good, dude. you're missing out. i never reread books (too much new stuff i want to read) but im only 5 books into this series and ive already decided i want to go back and reread the ones thus far.

but how far did you get? the first book deffo is hard to get into. the outright refusal to handhold the reader in a super complex world with a really abstract magic system makes it pretty confusing/daunting. also he took a creative writing course between the first two books and became a better writer (not a joke, it's true). so if you just couldnt make it through Gardens of the Moon, id say give it another shot or even skip it and go straight to book two (Deadhouse Gates), which is amazing, (and i think would be right up your alley, actually) and come back to book one when you've got your sea-legs. i hear tell online that some people have started with book two and didnt have any problems. if you made it to book two and still have this opinion then i dunno what to tell you except that you're wrong :p

another option is starting with the newest book in the shared world, Ian Cameron Esslemont's prequel Dancer's Lament, which is supposedly much more approachable than Gardens of the Moon, and im told has been well received by newcomers and hardcore fans alike (haven't read it yet tho)

Point Given likes this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

Are Terry Goodkind novels as bad as people say? I've never read any of them.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    they sound godawful so ive always avoided them like the plague

i know he eventually faked his fanbase out by pretending to write a book set in the present day but then whoops oh it's actually set in the same universe as my old series and continues that story :p

which i suppose is a thing that terrys are wont to do

13. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I get that, and it's technically true, but I find it hypocritical that Twitter does not ban people for saying stuff like #KillAllMen and BLM supporters taking about killing cops. IMO there is a left wing bias on Twitter. Either both conservatives/libertarians and liberals/progressives can say that kind of thing or neither can.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

What would you like to say that you currently cannot, and/or what do you think people should be able to say that they currently are unable to?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    I just want everybody to be able to express their opinions regardless of how retrograde they may be. Like Tommy Smothers said, "The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of other people not no listen" (not saying harassment is acceptable. Heck I'm as libertarian as it gets and I think that we should at least have the same basic policing of the Internet as we do in real life. Like, doxxing should have a stricter punishment). People will never not hold backwards ass beliefs, and it's better they be put out in the open to be mocked.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Are you someone who may find themselves the target of harassment, threats, physical violence, etc.? Or are you someone who can effectively advocate for complete freedom at no risk to yourself?

17. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Okay but

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, really, really selfish?

19. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    So folks should be free to harass and threaten others in the name of your supposed freedom? Where would YOU draw the line, if you would at all?

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Darth Nave

Please answer my question(s). Distractions are understandable, but ultimately just another way of avoiding the issues.

22. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    When a person's life is threatened by the actions of another.

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What if threats and harassment were so severe that a person began to live in fear and suspicion of all those around him/her? Threats to track so-and-so down and kill them because of _________(and to be clear, I mean possibly credible threats, as in against a well known person who could be easily identified in public or whose private information, like an address, could be found)?

24. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    To answer your questions:

1). There is nothing that I or others can't do that we should be able to do. Like I said in my previous post, I believe that where it crosses the line is where a person threatens another persons life. I've been called unsavory names on the internet before, but ultimately they were just that: words. They caused no harm to my physical well-being.
    2). I have been subjected to name calling on Facebook, but that was something I brought on myself. If I continue to behave in a respectable manner then I see myself at no risk.
    3). Since I maintain an air of anonymity on most sites I visit, I see myself advocating for freedom to a largely riskless affair.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You're a white male, right Nave?