main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hav you also forgot another tie-in author we almost got- Alex Irvine. I know he's done Iron Man and Transformers books, among others. Also William C. Dietz, but I'm not familiar with his non-SW stuff.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When I get the chance I'll read more of them.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    William Dietz is scary bad. Pretty much the type that give tie-in authors a really bad name.

07jonesj likes this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Au contraire!

AN OFFICER TURNED, SAW KYLE, AND DIED.

Surely the greatest sentence in the literary history of Star Wars.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not entirely certain what to think about William C. Dietz. He wrote the Dark Forces novellas; the canceled Clone Wars novel, Escape from Dagu, which was replaced by Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, since it was apparently terrible; the Mass Effect novel, Deception, which was panned by Mass Effect fans; and the novelization of Halo: Combat Evolved, The Flood, which received mixed reception. I did read at least some of one of the Dark Forces novellas, Jedi Knight (enough to learn about the Spear of Midnight Black, which didn't appear in the game), but since I hadn't read any of the others, or played any of the games the novellas were based on, only the sequels Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, I intentionally chose not to read it in its entirety.

6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    He was given the necessary source material to thrive. It's hard to mess up when you have the spirit of Kyle flowing through you.

Now think if the author was talented before inheriting Kyle's divine grace. The world just might have imploded. Perhaps it was for the best.

Deception was twelve different kinds of terrible. Going into it, I was perfectly fine with ignoring canon issues; continuity problems or no, it's an awful novel.

8. buylesslivemore

buylesslivemore Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    OPERATION DOMINO wow. i totally agree! you just got me psyched for a book/s that will probably never get written!

9. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I've gone exclusively e-book on the EU, so my price is fixed regardless.

But I am happy to see it have a 2013 publishing date. Yippee!

BoromirsFan likes this.
  11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Glad about the release date. Glad that the series is starting with a Leia book.

fistofan1 likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Seriously, unknown authors?
    oh kay then.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh do not fear. They will be trialed duly, just like those who came before them. Trialed... with the Canon of Fire!

BoromirsFan likes this.
  14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe the Solo book is written by Daniel Abraham under a pseudonym. Far from an "unknown" author. He's great, and has been getting a lot of acclaim in fantasy circles.

15. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    James S.A. Corey is not an unknown. As well as Daniel Abraham, an acclaimed author, being a part of the Corey team, the Corey pseudonym itself has been nominated for a Hugo Award for the first book of it's The Expanse series. By the way, has anyone here read them? Are they good?

16. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm very sorry, but I was actually responding to a post on page 1 by Jedi Ben.
    and I didn't notice the page number.
    I was being semi sarcastic, sorry again for any confusion. Just surprised by Ben, is all.

I actually love Corey's writing. I finished Caliban's War last night after reading Leviathan Wakes earlier in the week. I heard about them last year when they made Locus Rec Readings.
    And I am familiar with Kevin Hearne, considering I bought all of his Iron Druid works. Books 1 through 4 in audio version and 5 in paperback.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Go read them, right now. You will not be unsatisfied. Probably the best space opera of the last decade or two.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From Facebook- "Kevin Hearne's outline has been approved, so he can start writing! Can't wait to read it!"

That's the Luke book. Sounds like it'll probably be a mid-late 2014 release.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Greg Bear was mostly an author of original material, wasn't he? Had he done any tie-in work prior to Rogue Planet? And he turned in easily the best book of the prequel era. He's like the only PT era author who really got Obi-Wan right.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    He wrote a Star Trek and a Foundation novel beforehand. Recently, he wrote a Halo trilogy.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Outline approved? Good grief -- I feel like these were first announced forever ago!

He's quite the floozy in the scifi genre, isn't he?

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Halo? I wonder how one turns that franchise into a quiet, meditative character based novel.

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Tell that to Paul Kemp. :p

Barriss_Coffee and Zorrixor like this.
  24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I know next to nothing about the Halo universe, but it concerns a people called the "Forerunners", who apparently disappear sometime before the games, so I can see it.

25. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    That is such a good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.