main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    I have enjoyed being here for the time I had all. This summer I have a job that will take me offline for a few months until the start of August. If I get any free time I will read your tales and update my story when possible! :)

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea, I like the Borg to, and I always imagined what Kirk would have done for the Borg. I mean, what would attract the Borg more to the AQ than the idea of assimilating a super intelligent augmented human like Kahn, now that in this time line, he doesn't die. I would think once they've detected time tampering and that Kahn is kept alive, they would come immedeatly to the AQ to attempt to assimilate his superior abilities. With the knowledge and intellect of Kahn, the Borg could become unstoppable.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I"m sad you leaving us :( Come back when the job ends!

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Another thought that just occurred to me: When the Vengeance crashed and took out all those buildings, do you think Starfleet said "It was a horrible engine malfunction, everyone on board was tragically killed", or did they go "Some psycho we let mess around with our tech for a year stole the ship and kill thousands of people. Woopsie."? How public was their hunt for John Harrison? What did they tell the public about the attacks and the FREAKING HUGE SHIP that took out a good chunk of the city?

I'm tackling this right now in my 'fic and I'm not 100% sure how to handle it.

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Knowing Starfleet, they probably stated the first part about it having a malfunction. I imagine that their hunt for Harrison was as secret as Section 31 was; only Starfleet personnel knew that he was on Kronos. I'm sure that Starfleet just stated that the explosion was an act of terrorism and that the ship was due to either the same or the malfunction explanation.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't know a ton about Starfleet, but I second RX: I think they would admit it was an act of terrorism, say the terrorist had been captured and successfully contained, and leave out the details. I'm sure the Enterprise crew (or any member of Starfleet) has to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement.

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's totally what they did. I discussed with with DarthIshtar stupidly early this morning.

I am amused. Apparently, during filming of STID, Chris Pine, Zach Quinto, Simon Pegg, and Benedict Cumberbatch (WHY IS HIS NAME SO FREAKING LONG???) went on an epic, middle-of-the-night roadtrip from LA to San Francisco and documented the whole thing on Twitter.

There are also pictures of the neutron cream incident.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Those boys are psychotic. Awesome, but psychotic. :)

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sounds awesome! I really want to be friends with those guys.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Apparently they dragged Zach (who's gay) to Hooters. I am amused by this thought. Though I hear the food is good.

. . . My mom once told me I should apply for a job there. [face_plain]

11. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Haha... I totally missed that on Twitter. One of the funniest things those guys did was play a vocab game in interviews. Its hilarious. Zach and Chris... those two have an epic bromance. I would not be surprised that Pegg and Chris got Zach to go to Hooters.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Something that's been bugging me about STID for a while:

Dear Starfleet (specifically Admiral Marcus and Captain Kirk),

Torpedoes require fuel to launch and/or go anywhere.

Khan’s torpedoes have no fuel.

They have pod-people. Pod-people do not make very good propellants.

Please explain to me how you will be launching them at Qo’noS and/or a sun?

Sincerely,
    Someone with a brain

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  13. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Well considering that they beamed them aboard the Vengeance, I would say that you merely launch them and then the force of that would be enough to get them to the target since in space nothing can slow them down. Think about Voyager and such though and a small propulsion system could be in place on them.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    But there isn't a propulsion system, with no fuel. They can't launch them.

I posted this on Tumblr yesterday and got chewed out for being "hateful" towards the movie and "disrespectful" towards the fans. *snort*

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's awesome! Have you guys seen this post on Buzzfeed? I seriously just want to be friends with these guys.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I have never had a "bromance" ping my gaydar like those two. I don't even "do" slash.

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I can't write Star Trek, personally. I, personally, can't write something that's not in the same format of the original source. I write and read Fan Fiction that I believe remain in-line with what the creators were trying to do. For Star Trek, I would have to research every single Trek tech and terminology to attempt to write a fan fiction, and that kind of research scares me. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing research; I've done months of research to do my Superman trilogy or my HTTYD stories, but they were still quite easy in comparison to Star Trek. Like I said, I would not write a Star Trek fan fiction without action, some Trek science, and the drama. I'm not much for writing one-shots either.

On top of that, we have way too many trek fan fic here as it is. Everytime a Trek movie is released, this board is taken over by Trek fiction of months on end. LOL. Besides that, I love the movies... Into Darkness is still the best movie of the year by far, even better than Man of Steel.

UPDATE:
    OOPS, I'm answering a question that was posted a long time ago. I thought it was asked in a recent post. My Bad.

18. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    Hey everyone I am back from my job. I have a lot of stories to catch up on!

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Woohoo! Get back to writing :D

Nightvision91 likes this.
  20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Just discovered something concerning. In the STID novelization, McCoy puts artificial people in the torpedoes so that when Khan scans them, he’ll see “his people” in them.

Um. Wasn’t the whole point of opening one up that they’re shielded and can’t be scanned???

21. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The book contradicts itself many times and really does not explain anything in detail like most other movie novelizations do. I consider it to be mostly glorified fan fiction, honestly. It was horribly written, rushed imo. Reminds me too much of the self-insert rewrites that flood ff.n atm.

So hard to find decent Khan fiction over there that isn't a self-insert rewrite or a Kirk/Khan slash (which I still don't understand how *that* is even possible or logical). Only decent Khan fiction I've found thus far is well, mostly your stories Dantana. Plus a couple others that at least don't delve into the movie with their plot.

I'm this close [] to writing that idea with the Borg, a different Picard and Khan of Borg "resistance is assuredly futile", just so I can add something different. My only problem is well.... Picard and the TNG crew. What would he be like in the new timeline? Would Worf even be there considering how close to war the Federation is with the Klingons at the end of STID (my brain still reads that as STDs ugh).

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks, that's nice to hear! I have a semi-friend on Tumblr who really ships "Khirk", and I don't see it. At All. Kirk/Spock, sure. But Kirk and Khan? Nooooo.

I mostly wanted the book in the hopes that it had Khan introspection, but it really doesn't. We learn next to nothing from the book that isn't already in the movie. :/ It definitely felt rushed, yes.

I'm toying with Khan facing off against the Borg in my 'fic, just a couple of them, but I would LOVE to see Khan actually get assimiliated, and probably take over. So if you do that, I am SO there.

23. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Read about my bunny plot earlier on this thread 9th page. I would think the temporal tampering from Nero would have pulled the Borgs attention to the Alpha Quadrant too early, and while watching, they saw what Kahn was capabable of, they would jump to attack the Alpha Quadrant to try to assimilate Kahn. So we end up with a three way battle between Kirk and the Enterprise, Kahn, and the Borg. Not doing the story, too much on my plate though. I would have Kirk determined not to let the Borg assimilate him. In my story, I would have had Kahn, narrowly finding a way to defeat the Borg, and while distracted with them, Kirk takes advantage to capture Kahn and put him back on ice. Of course, if there was another story after that, Kahn would out for revenge again against Kirk. In the story, I would have had a seen where the Borg tried to assimilate him, but discovered that they could not. His cells and blood were too powerful and the attempt to turn him into a Borg only served to tick him off even more so. The scene would have ended that out of fury, he breaks the Borgs neck in a very violent manner.

24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Speaking of Khan's blood and the Borg, I wonder if his immune system would be able to resist assimilation very similar to how Species 8472 from Star Trek: Voyager was able to. His regenerative ability would consider any modifications made by the nanoprobes as injuries and attempt to heal them as well as attempt to destroy the foreign bodies, so perhaps he would be immune? Or would the nanoprobes be able to adapt eventually? The Borg couldn't adapt to 8472 without outside help, but they were confident that they would eventually, just not before the species wiped out the Borg and everything else in the Delta Quadrant. What do you think?

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That's a good question. I'm gonna be pondering that for a good while now.