main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So if Star Wars were a high school, Ackbar would totally be the captain of the water polo team right?

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The one coached by Jeff Winger and Assistant Coach Craig Pelton?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll eat ice cream all year, always have. But we don't get a real winter here either.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Here in Hampton Roads, we don't have seasons so much as we do "weeks." It's a pain when it is 30 degrees out for a few days, then high of 70 for a few days, then back to near freezing. And never enough (or really any) snow.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm in Charlotte and that's our climate as well.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    To further help the argument that I lack a soul, I hate ice cream. Not big on sweets in general, but won't eat ice cream period.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Community! Six Seasons likely! (no movie yet)

At today's NBC presentation at the TCAs, NBC entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt said that "Parks & Recreation is going to have a seventh season.” and added that Community has a "strong possibility" for renewal.

Hopefully a full length season, not these 13 episode teaser seasons.
    With more episodes, I am hoping they pull the Jeff/Annie trigger to explore that dynamic and story area more.
    I wonder if Donald will come back, either full time or part time/guest appearance.
    Maybe someone will be promoted to main character? Duncan? Rachel? Annie Kim? Star Burns?

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I must confess that this past weeks episode of Community was one of the best we have had in recent years. Funny, goofy, and touching all at once. I do wonder how the show will do with the departure of Troy. Without Pierce and Troy, the show loses nearly a quarter of the original study group.

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Well, Hickey is supposed to be in all the rest of the episodes, and Duncan will be back more.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm going to have to actually watch Community sometime soon. Though I should probably finally get around to watching Seinfeld first.

Ugh, I finally decided to catch up on South Park, and as a result have had this little jingle stuck in my head for days.

Help me.

12. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. I'm halfway through this week's episode of community. I'll read all your posts when I get to it.

II. Ulicus , I decided to look into that Arrow thing. Saw the first ep -- definitely more entertaining than SHIELD methinks.

III. I was complaining about how old my computer was when I realized I can totally just upgrade my things. So I just bought a nice top of the line video card. Ahh, 2014 here we go!

Ulicus and darthscott3457 like this.
  14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If you like Arrow now, wait until it picks up near the end of the first season. It takes awhile to find its feet; I actually thought several moments in the first few episodes were cringe worthy, but now it's become one of the most consistently fun shows on television.

15. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I recently picked up the X-wing Rogue Squadron omnibuses since I hadn't read that series yet and I'm panicking about all the Dark Horse stuff going out of print. Right now I'm on Battleground: Tatooine, and Winter/Tycho has already become one of my favorite SW 'ships.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is odd, sad, strange and odd.

My wife's mum died late last night (it's 12.35 here in the UK) and, well, neither of us are inclined to sleep right now. And it's that same split feeling - sadness at her passing, some sense of contentment that she's no longer in pain - and had certainly been hit by all manner of things in the last 2 years - and the pinballing back and forth between the two.

For some reason, at these sort of times, I end up fixing on President Bartlett's rant in the Cathdral (see below). The last decade has been a slew of stuff neither of us were anywhere near - or perhaps ought to be - ready for. And I'm really tired of it.

RC-1991 and CooperTFN like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I am too, Jedi Ben.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  21. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe from the way it started that it is probably my most anticipated show of every week, much more than SHIELD. I love they have now incorporated super powers in it as well. I just hope we get a few more superhero nods, it would be nice if they at least acknowledge the existence of Superman or Batman without seeing them onscreen.

Jedi Ben sorry for loss as well

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, the second season of Arrow has been air tight so far. What I love about it is that, unlike Agents of SHIELD, it's so character based. They've started to introduce all of these comic book concepts, yet the characters never feel like they're just going with the motions or acting a certain way because the comics demand them to. Also, Manu Benett is fantastic as Slade.

The existence of Superman really wouldn't work- a flying superpowered alien who goes around saving people isn't something you just don't talk about- but I would like for it to be tied into the DC films in some way, even if as of now the DC films aren't really good enough to be worth tying into. I think it could be fun if a season were to end with Oliver watching television with his family, only for the power to go out. Cue "You are Not Alone". That, I think, could potentially be a great game changer. Or perhaps it would serve much better as something that happens in the final episode, so as not to interfere with Arrow's own story.

The existence of Batman could work, though, if they used the model of some other alternate universes I can think of (Smallville being the most prominent example); make Batman exist, but instead of being an acknowledge presence, let him be an urban legend, a scary story parents in Gotham tell their children so they'll be good. In this case, the story happens to be true. That will allow for Batman to have been operating for a long time, with perhaps only coming into the limelight on Superman's arrival, yet we don't have to wonder why there's never a comparison

And Jedi Ben, add me to the chorus of the well wishers. I'm sorry for your loss.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  23. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I would be happy either way they go. I was secretly hoping that one of those news reports in the background would have been about the destruction ion Metropolis.

I am interested to see if they work Arrow into the movies in anyway especially, and to avoid spoilers, the other unnamed hero who just showed up.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd love for them to tie in too, as I'm a sucker for shared universes (duh, look where I am). I'm not so sure WB will seize the opportunity, though. They're caught between the obvious money maker that shared universes have proven to be, thanks to Marvel, and the long running and completely nonsensical Hollywood stigma that TV stars are inferior to film stars. For years, successful TV stars have "upgraded" to movies and never looked back, and washed up film stars have "downgraded" to TV. While that has changed to a degree, with big actors like Kevin Spacey leading their own TV shows, these big studios are often very slow on the uptake.

If they intend to introduce Green Arrow into their Justice League franchise, it would be absolutely foolish not to use what's already been built. Considering some of the ridiculous decisions that WB/DC have made, though, I'm not as confident as I'd like to be that they can see what's obvious.

25. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I concur. I know some of the cartoons have brought the Marvel/DC comic universe to life, but it would sure be nice to see it in the non-animated realm. For all of the success Marvel has had connecting all of their characters together in the movieverse, I still know for the foreseeable future they will never be able to bring together all of their characters into that continuity. DC has a chance at it though and if they can get their act together a Justice League movie could be epic. From the sound of all the rumors as of late maybe they are setting up the other core JL members.

Ulicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.