main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did Darth Plagueis Create Anakin Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bluewaterpig, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Bluewaterpig

Bluewaterpig Jedi Padawan

Sep 17, 2014
    Warning - I mention some major events from the Darth Plagueis novel below...

So I just finished reading Darth Plagueis and I looked up a summary just to kinda review everything I had read. From the publishers summary...

"As the novel comes to a close during the events of The Phantom Menace, Sidious and Plagueis learn that a young boy named Anakin Skywalker, a former slave found by Qui-Gon Jinn on Tatooine, had been born of the Force. They discern that this is most likely due to Plagueis's experiment of creating life through the Force, which he had commenced about a decade earlier."

Maybe I just totally missed this, but this thought never crossed my mind. It does make sense...Plagueis had messed with the Force's properties of life and death through his experimentations, namely when he repeatedly let Venemous die and brought him back to life. Maybe the light side was trying to balance everything out with a divine conception of Anakin? Did anyone else pick up on this?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    In the novel the implication is that the Force itself created Anakin as a reaction to Plagueis interference. Sort of dharma, or God, or nature or whatever you prefer counteracting the actions of the one who brought it out of balance.

Though this ambiguous and it would be a truly frightening prospect if via his arcane means Plagueis was responsible for Anakin and hence the Skywalker line.

It seems though the former is the case, the force would not let Plagueis impose his will on it without pushback.

Plagueis attempted to be God basically and God subtly struck him down, or Plagueis messed with nature and the river simply red asserted itself. Or whatever interpretation suits you.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Experiment

This about sums it up.

The short version is that yes, Anakin was created not directly by Plagueis, but in response to his experiments as a way for the light side to fight back against the imbalance. He pushed the force, but the force pushed back much harder.

Keep in mind that none of this is explicitly canon anymore at the moment, though it also has yet to be directly contradicted either.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen_One/Legends

Also, this article discusses the matter in much greater detail. Making it very clear what Balance was meant to be, how Anakin was likely conceived, and what Role the Sith played in the imbalance. At least according to James Luceno.

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    That book reminded me of Rosemary's Baby mixed with the Omen.

5. Bluewaterpig

Sep 17, 2014
    So the Grand Experiment was in the Darth Plagueis novel? It may be because I read it in two different time periods, but I don't remember the Grand Experiment happening on the moon of Sojourn.

Can someone who read Darth Plagueis help recap when this happened in the book? And what exactly took place? If possible, a page number too.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It mentions both Plagueis's attempts to create life and a "Forceful being."

As well as mentioning the Satanic-inspired ritual where Plagueis and Palpatine together "overthrow" the will of the Force and imbalance it, around the same time as Plagueis's attempts to create life. And around the same time Anakin is conceived.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    No silly George Lucas created Anakin Skywalker. ;)

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  8. Bluewaterpig

Sep 17, 2014
    Is it around the part where Plagueis let's Venemous die and revives him over and over?

Got a page number?

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I couldn't tell you is a little past midway in the book.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Chapter 24: Sith'ari - beginning on page 341 (paperback) is the chapter that contains reminiscences of what they'd been doing "almost a decade earlier" - unbalancing the Force, resurrecting Venamis over and over, and attempting to bring a Forceful being into existence.

Ghost likes this.
  11. Bluewaterpig

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks so much. This is what I thought it was referencing, but I don't remember the details. I'll read it again.

whostheBossk likes this.