main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Grandfather, I will finish what you started..."

*ghost slap, which probably feels like getting hit with a freezer pop on the cheek* "I was redeemed and sacrificed myself for your uncle, you kriffing imbecile! Do you have sand for brains? Did your father let you race against a Dug when you were a kid?"

*Kylo cries* "I would kill you, but then I couldn't finish what you started..."

Luke *looking at Rey* "This is why it's time for the Jedi to end."

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]So very wrong, so very funny.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would be okay if Kylo and the knights of Ren participating in the slaughter of Luke's students and then, over the years, the Knights of Ren rather messily turned on each other until Kylo was the last one standing. Sort of how in the EU Legends the full on Sith conflict which turned into the rule of two except our boy Kylo was king of the mountaintop (a mountaintop made of the bodies of Jedi trainees / Knights or Ren / his father)

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I would be okay with that happening eventually, but TFA makes it seem like the KOR are still around (Snoke calls Kylo "Master of the Knights of Ren" like they're still a thing).

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just in case...

And how is 'mastery of the Knights of Ren' decided? Is it by the macho criteria of being the hardest bastard going? In which case Kylo's position could be under siege due to Rey decking him.

BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

"I've got a lightsaber and you don't."

"I've got the Force and you don't."

"I've got Skywalker genes and you don't."

OR

"Snoke likes me best."

:p

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm kind of envisaging:

"Hurr, hurr! Kylo got decked by a girl half his size!" - cue mega slaughter.

I mean yeah, they could have a female KoR in there, but the idea of them being a goddamn psychopathic and misogynistic frat pack sounds more fitting.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That is also entirely possible. I just got a feeling that they may already be gone and he's the Master because he had to kill 'em all to keep them in line.

Although, as Jedi Ben noted Kylo having to wreck a few KoR because they think he's weak since Rey whupped him good could also be amazing as well.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Just thinking about the recent toy leaks and what we know about Snoke.

You know, the fact we have a spinning lightsaber in the Episode VIII toy lists brings me back to the idea Snoke is an ex-Inquisitor. Specifically, I am thinking about the Sixth Brother we saw in the Ashoka novel:

• The Sixth Brother was of an unknown humanoid alien species, same as Snoke.
    • The Sixth Brother was described as tall with unnatural-looking gray skin, same as Snoke.
    • The Sixth Brother had piercing ice-blue eyes, same as Snoke.
    • The Sixth Brother had scar-like uniform markings on his cheeks, nose, and chin; same as Snoke.
    • Ashoka blew up his lightsaber in front of his face, which could account for the burn marks on Snoke's face.
    • The Sixth Brother's personality and thought processes match up with what we have seen of Snoke.
    Now Ashoka is supposed to have killed the Sixth Brother but this wouldn't be the first time in Star Wars a villain seemingly died only to come back later on.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The only part of this that doesn't sound like them just making stuff up out of thin air (or other rumors - I vaguely recall hearing "Rey fights a sea monster" somewhere before) is Hayden being seen on the set, which I'd be okay with. I've long been an advocate of Anakin's ghost putting in an appearance in the ST.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm sure they're going to do it, if for no other reason that they made concept art of it for TFA, and every discarded idea has to be recycled into an actual production down the line.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

How hilarious would that be, given all the "oh, that book's for kids, I won't read it" attitudes toward YA and junior novels, if the true identity of the main villain of the ST were secretly given in one of those "for kids" books? [face_laugh]

That said, I don't believe for a second that 6Bro is Snoke, but it's more plausible (or at least as plausible) as him being Plagueis or even anyone else. Sure, why not? If anyone's going to discount the theory off the bat, they should also discount Plagueis. This theory actually isn't completely nuts like him being a reincarnated Palpatine or Darth Vader. At least 6Bro is already an alien.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    If any brother will be Snoke it's going to be First Brother/Sister

14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Am I the only one who thinks that Snoke is an original character who had nothing to do with Palpatine or the Empire until after their deaths at Endor and Jakku?

Seriously!

Darth_Duck, LelalMekha and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

No. I'm with you. It remains to be seen whether we're correct, though.

16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I have brought up the issue about Snoke identity before on like five separate occasions in five separate places. If people want to go on about Snoke, please start you're own thread and don't clog five to twenty pages with Snoke theories!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    And mods have previously told you that people are allowed to speculate about what they want, as long as it's not off-topic.

And considering this is the Episode VIII thread, I'd say Snoke is pretty on-topic.

18. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I don't mind speculating but five-twenty pages on the same thing on five separate threads is actually annoying.

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I also don't get why so many people think Snoke HAS to be someone we already know. Heck, I have heard so many insane or far-fetched theories that I can't count them anymore (Snoke is Plagueis/Palpatine/Ezra/Kanan/Tarkin/Luke/random bald guy from the Screaming Citadel arc/Maul/Vader/Boba Fett/Kren Blista-Vanee/Mace Windu/Jar Jar Binks/Kylo from the future/Triclops/my uncle Joe) ...

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think the fear is that if Snoke is any old Tom Dick or Harry, he's more liable to be written off in the third act as a Palpatine-wannabe. If he's someone we already know, the addition history baggage might lead his character in a different direction and bring credence to him being an actual threat with skin in the game.

Granted, that's not to say being an original character prevents him from doing something memorable. But TFA's setup of him playing the role of Palpatine 2.0 (on top of repeating a LOT of OT story elements), and behaving sort of boring/predictable, has encouraged a lot of us (me included) to play the Who-Is-Snoke game to pass the time since we don't have anything more interesting to do in the film interim.

Mia Mesharad and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, the who-is-Snoke speculation fundamentally stems from Snoke alone, at present, having fairly little to him. I've actually sort of dropped out of it myself for that reason - what really matters is actually developing him as a villain, and that's an issue regardless of whether he's a preexisting character or not.

22. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Leia Mekha, you forgot random stormtrooper dude.

23. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    All these theories about the Supreme Leader may just be a Snokescreen. :p

24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Snoke is just going to be Snoke. No secret identity.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Snoke is the Mayor of Sernpidal.