main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Which is my point, that it will be the new hotness and the players will move on to BF3, leaving BF2 to collect dust. Then when the players slowly fade, the book will still be a viable read for new fans, but how many people go back and play a game 5,6,10 years out when the new version has all the attention, and the place you will find all the multiplayer matches.

In this case, the book will be hurt by the branding because new fans will see BF2 and possibly skip it. It sounds like this book has great stand alone potential even if you choose not to play the game.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

2. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    It helps the book a lot to have that connection there on the cover (otherwise we wouldn't have done it). Having our own unique cover gives it some separation, and we do a lot of work with the online/book copy and ways we promote the book to let readers know that there is a story here that stands both on its own merit and as a companion to the game. So, there's little concern that a few years down the road people will just skip over the book because it has a logo on the front belonging to a then "old" game. There's a lot that goes into that, and the benefits of being so closely related to the game/working so closely with that team far outweigh the additional challenges of reaching beyond gamers. Yes, there's a bit of extra work to assure non-gamers that they can read it, but that's part of the job of publishing a book, any book. It is what we do.

We've had books in the past with similar game connections that were fine even well after the game became "outdated." The Force Unleashed books pretty much have the exact game box art as their book covers.

3. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Please forgive me if I am wrong Darth Internous, but wouldn't the Force Unleashed books target slightly different readers? While Inferno Squad is a Tie-In, the Force Unleashed books are adaptations, thus allowing non-gamers to get the books and get the majority of the story without having to play the game.

Please, don't get me wrong, I don't envy your job, and you all do fantastic work.

I guess I would be curious if this book was ever discussed being called Inferno Squad by itself and then using the BF2 logo only on the back description or even as a starburst sticker on the front cover?

Not that it REALLY matters in the end, but in 5 years, Inferno Squad could still be seen with eyes that don't immediately jump to the BF2 branding and possibly dismiss it as old game tie in?

You have the data and expertise, so I am not trying to challenge you. Just curious about the behind the scenes process I guess.

Never the less, by all accounts this seems to be a great read. I am going to tackle it this weekend hopefully. Looking forward to it. I am also thrilled that it seems to have vindicated Christine Golden. I was a big fan of Dark Disciple, and I am glad that fans are giving her a second chance. I hope she gets to write more for you guys.

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    No Battlefront 3 is even being worked on right now. If you listened during the EA Play conference, they want BF2 to last for years. No doubt a BF3 will be made, but not any time soon, at least until after 2020.

StarWarsFan1997 likes this.
  5. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Not really, there are some slight differences with adaptation versus tie-in (or prequel), but generally it's still the same two groups of readers - those who care about the game connection / those who don't.

We talk about a lot of different variations / messages for pretty much every book, just as a matter of recourse, but since we knew this was the prequel-story, that logo was always going to be there on the front, well displayed.

The opposite could also apply in 5 years, someone sees the book remembers BF2 fondly and decides to take a chance on the book. Now that branding is actually helping us, even years removed from the game. So it works both ways, and again as I said above, we've got ways of addressing the challenges of it being dismissed as just a game tie in. (Also, from everything I've seen and read the game is going to be spectacular.)

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In my case, I bought the novel for the story. I'm not a big gamer (SW Bounty Hunter was an exception) and I won't be getting BF2 - I have nothing to play it on, for one thing. Even though the game doesn't interest me I'm enjoying the book so far.

Daneira and tatooinesandworm like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Same here, I bought both books for their worth as books, not as a game tie-in.

My copy arrived yesterday, a little smaller than expected but the superb cover art does make up for that.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Both Battlefront novels have just had remarkably good covers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I agree, though I had to take a quick look on Amazon UK to refresh my memory about the first BF novel.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I will be getting the game as my first PS4 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've just got a PS2, bought to play Bounty Hunter.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You could have got PS4 and still played that.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Bought the PS2 when the game came out.

14. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    They way your comment read was that you just now (recently) bought a PS2 so you could play Bounty Hunter.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...oh shoot you mean I can finally play Bounty Hunter now and see what all the fuss was?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sorry - this was when the game first came out. I never went further with games as most seemed to be headed for mostly online content and that doesn't interest me. I can get killed on my own - I don't need other players to help! :p

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You know you want to..

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I am debating buying a PS3 so I can play Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut.

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Is battlefront on WiiU or Switch. Somehow I feel the answer is no.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Follow up...BFII also seems to have more of a story...and it's set after ROTJ, correct? Will the events in that game be cannon, then?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Er... why wouldn't they be? It's an official product published long after the Legends announcement, clearly tied with the rest of canon (Aftermath, Lost Stars et al.), with a clear storyline...

And cannon go boom.

Daneira and tatooinesandworm like this.
  22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I guess I'm unclear on games and canonicity. Especially since a game won't have an established outcome or series of events.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In this case, it clearly will. It's not an RPG.

Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm not a gamer, so color me ignorant. But wouldn't outcomes and sequence of events still vary?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The things you pew pew will vary, but presumably there will be cutscenes between levels. It's basically a movie where you have to shoot things to unlock each scene.

There will probably be dialogue and the like in missions too, but canon likely doesn't fuss about such granular details.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.