main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there an EU explanation for "Look Sir, Droids"?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jp-30, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hi,

If this is previously discussed, please post me a link.

I'm just wondering if there's an EU explanation for the "Look Sir, Droids" from ANH. Maybe in "Tales from the Tatooine Desert" ;)

Here's what I get from the movie;

Part 1. A Stormtrooper finds an o-ring or washer by an escape pod on Tatooine. It is inconceivable that the o-ring came from the escape pod itself, or perhaps an o-ring tradesman was in the pod, and dropped a sample of his wares in the sand? Why didn't the trooper just use the 3 distinctive R2 tracks to base his droid theory on? If his o-ring theory was "proof of droid", how did said trooper deduce there were actually droids, plural?

Part 2. Given the o-ring was from R2-D2 or C-3PO, what was its purpose? Did its loss effect the droid in any adverse way? Or do droids periodically drop o-rings so they can find their way "back" from whence they came in a Hansel and Gretal like fashion?

2. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Well..The tracks were most likely covered up by the winds shifting the sands, and the stormtrooper most likely just assumed that there would be 2 droids, a protocol droid, and a r2 unit counterpart...as appears to be in with rebellion fashion at the time ;)

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I can believe the tracks being covered up, but...

a protocol droid, and a r2 unit counterpart...as appears to be in with rebellion fashion at the time

I know you're kidding, but in the movies the only Astromech / Protocol droid "team" I can recall seeing is 3PO / R2-D2.

4. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Tracks in the sand, yo. Y'all know they were there. The ring just let 'em know they was droids.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks. Right. I guess there's no EU story to explain it then?

Disappointing.

6. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I wouldn't let such trivial things worry you, jp. Perhaps the Stormtrooper had some kind of scanner in his helmet that was able to pick up some kind of 'droid signature' on the washer, or maybe it was a washer only used in droids.

Or maybe he just saw tracks in the sand. Who knows?

7. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Well, there's this one book I read that said droids like threepeo will drop those things because they're like information strainers. They acumulate excess data that is no longer nescessary for operation and are dropped periodically

8. Epyon-X

Epyon-X Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2001
    A recycle bin?

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I wouldn't let such trivial things worry you, jp.

My dear Fat Barnes, I'm not in the least bit worried. It's just that in my limited experience with the EU novels, many of the oddities from the movies were "explained" with the utmost conviction. Kessel Run / Parsec, Sound travelling in space, that sort of thing.

I was wondering if there was a similar explanation for the o-ring mystery in the EU, and if what ShinagamiWing reports is true, that is exactly the sort of nonsense I was expecting to hear!

10. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    all this over a pudding lid ;)

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I've seen discussions here over less. Much less.

12. darthmalt16

darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2000
    "I've seen discussions here over less. Much less."

Oh you have absolutley no idea.
    I actually think there was a story about that particular stormtrooper. I definatley remember reading one about a trooper on tattoine.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That trooper, and the immortal line, is used in one of the earliest missions in the old RTS PC game "Force Commander".

It was pretty funny.

14. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    The stormtrooper story was in TMEC but, I`m not sure if it was that stormtrooper or not...

15. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    I think it was.

16. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    You're right, they did use that in Force Commander.

By the way: [blockqoute]that is exactly the sort of nonsense I was expecting to hear![/blockquote]

If it's nonsense, what sort of EU answer would satisfy your requirements? Were you more just checking out whether you were going to get what you expect, or was there a type of answer that would be (to you) a real answer?

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    If it's nonsense, what sort of EU answer would satisfy your requirements? Were you more just checking out whether you were going to get what you expect, or was there a type of answer that would be (to you) a real answer?

I was checking to see if a Star Wars "oddity", (along the lines of the Kessel Run being explained in terms of ditance, etc) had been seized by an EU author and given a back-story to explain it.

One person has suggested that an EU story has the o-ring as a physical "deleted files folder" that protocol droids periodically drop when their memory fills up.

Nonsense or plausable explanation? You decide.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    "perhaps an o-ring tradesman was in the pod, and dropped a sample of his wares in the sand?"

The droids themselves were o-ring tradesmen, that was their last assignment under Captain Antilles. The trooper finding the o-ring was a relevation that they were droids from the Tantive IV, so they probably had the plans. The trooper actually says "Look sir, those droids, but you can't hear it. The line has been misinterpretted all these years, just like the "One small step for [a] man" line.

19. Rogue_Nine

Rogue_Nine Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2001
    Kessel Run / Parsec, Sound travelling in space, that sort of thing.

There was an explaination for the above??? This I gotta hear.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's all very vague, but I think I recall reading something about the fighters engines & weapon beams giving off electromagnetic waves which vibrate the hulls of other craft producing a sound.

Of course "space" in TGFFA could have a high gaseous content - enough to transmit sound. There's nothing to say it's a vacuum like in our galaxy...

21. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I heard that ship have some sort of sound system (probably THX) that interprets the events outside the ships and broadcasts appropriate sounds to the pilots. This makes the pilots react better because it makes a familiar environment.

Thats just what I once heard. Don't flame me

22. RainbowDroideka

RainbowDroideka Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2000
    I've heard that too. I think maybe it was from a line in the radio drama or something.

23. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Also, I don't think that is an o-ring. Its got girth and looks to be made of metal. A gasket or coupler perhaps. This debunks the o-ring salesman theory

24. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I always thought that he finds a restraining bolt on the ground, and since restraining bolts are only used on droids, that how he knew there had been droids.

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks Flare. A gasket salesman then?

And restraing bolts can't be removed by droids, cause that would pretty much defeat the purpose of the restraint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.