main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The World Cup

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Moe I am STUNNED!! Happy but stunned...LOL. Go USA! Yay!!!!

2. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Korea vs. Italy
    Great Match...Imagine how crazy the Koreans must be right now :)

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Korea vs. Italy.

Imagine how crazy my Italian boss is right now... :p

4. Tom_Tom_Binks

Tom_Tom_Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    I have to admit, you guys passed all my expectations in the Mexico game - but you were diabolical in the Poland game (just as I predicted!).

However, the Poland game counts for nothing now and you thoroughly deserve to be where you are.

Call me pesamistic and synical, but I really think it ain't gonna happen for you against the Germans. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE you to beat them, but I really can't see it.

However, I also thought that about Korea and Italy...

5. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks Tom! :) Personally, I think whoever wins the England/Brazil match will win the whole thing. That is by far the toughest match yet I think (only my opinion though). I'd like to see us beat Germany, but I think we might be a little out of our league now...LOL.

6. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, I really don't know what to say, the United States in the Quarter Final, who would have thought that. I think this is the furthest that you have got since 1930. Congratulations must be given to my American chums.

Now you REALLY have some work in front of you. GERMANY. I'm sorry to say, I really do think that this will be the final nail in your (up until now) elusive coffin. I agree with Tom, it would be brilliant to see you guys topple them; after all, they are our mortal enemy, but at the same time, I would like to see Germany win, and hopefully meet us in the final -- Oooooh, that would be major sweetness to watch!

Hey, is it just me, or does it seem that we happen to get all the tough teams in this World Cup? Look at who we have had to play -- Sweeden, who have always proven to be the toughest of sods we could come across. Argentina. Well, the less said about them, the better. And Nigeria, who are a very strong African team. After that we have Denmark, who we did walk over, but normally they are hard as nails, and of course we have those darn pesky Brazillians - Ummm, four times world champions, and finalists last time around. Should we get past them, we have to face either Germany, Spain, or South Korea, and personally, I'd rather see England face South Korea than Germany or Spain, because those two teams can be frightening at times.

Hmmm, let's say that England faces Germany in the final, do you think that Germany's 5:1 defeat last year has shaken them up enough to be demorilised going into the match, or do you feel that they would be out for revenge?

Arrrgh, this is killing me!

7. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    ITALY LOST

YES!!!!!!!!

:D

8. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    A little correction for you Ninja: If we beat Brazil, we'll play Senegal or Turkey - either of whom will be tough. It would just be so typically English to beat Brazil then lose to one of these so-called 'lesser' opponents.

But you're right about one thing: Oh how sweet it would be to beat Germany in the final. Two World Wars and TWO World Cups!!

9. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Thanks for the correction, Tom. I thought I had left something out... :)

Who do you think the key will be against Brazil? I'm thinking that Micheal Owen will be the one that does it for us. Ronaldo has said that he is frightened of him; although, I'm sure that is just smoke. Paul Scholes, thankfully back with Owen in the squad after some injury scares will prove vital up front in a Brazillian defense that has shown to have a few holes.

I can't wait for this, but I just hate getting up at 6am! :p

10. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    Ninja - two points:

1. You're getting up at 6am to watch it: you're back in England? Why didn't you say so before?

2. You've spent FAR too much time over The Pond. My friend, you spell defence with a 'C' not an 'S'. Dear oh dear.

England v Brazil? You're right. Michael Owen is the key. The Brazilians are weak at the back and haven't been tested by any world class strikers as of yet. Owen can hurt them with his pace as Ronaldo can us with his. The difference is that we've got the best defence (with a 'c') in the tournament and Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell can keep him quiet. The Brazilians, I feel, will have no such comfort with Owen and don't underestimate Heskey's role - he'll clear the way for Michael.

I'm going to stick my neck on the block and say we'll whip 'em 4-1.

'Brave boy, but foolish.' We'll see...

11. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    I think that game will be decided in the first 20 minutes. If England can score first, I think they'll run away with it. Brazil are not good at playing catch-up and get frustrated and start fouling all over the place.

12. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Actually, Tom, I am still in America - Keene, New Hamphire (or as Dana likes to call it, East Bumble****!) I don't return to England until the morning of July 3rd. It's going to be such a drag coming home - I can see myself going out of my mind!

Yeah, unfortunetly the games are live here, but they start at 7:30 (or 6am in the case of Brazil vs England). I mean, I'll still get up in time to watch it, but it's not going to be easy. :)

And as for the spelling; Hey, I'm just trying to fit in with the locals! (and I think that is how we spelt it in Australia too, so I'm kind of used to it!) :p

A 4:1 victory sounds a little optimistic, I think maybe a 2:1 victory in extra time... The thing that England must do is to keep the ball in the Brazillians half - just like the Death Star, they have to exploit their weakness - and we all know what happened to the Death Star, don't we now?

13. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    Whoa, whoa, Ninja - check your World Cup wallchart!

England v Brazil kicks off at 7.30am here so assuming you're five hours behind (which I'm sure you are) it'll be 2.30am your time.

This is a fact I'm 100% certain of and I'd hate for you to turn on your telly two hours after the game's finished!

The good news is you don't have to wake up early (unlike me), just don't go to bed - it'll be just like the line!

14. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Oh, for crying out loud, WTF am I thinking?

I read the times off The Sun website! Doh!

And Dana just asked me what time it was on too... No, no, no! It is on 2:25am here!

Arrggh! I am such a clutz today! :p

THANK YOU, TOM! :D

15. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Good thing I asked. lol

16. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, otherwise it would have been a disaster!

What are you, my good luck charm, or something?

17. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    That's why I thought you must be back in England.

I guess you'd better email Dana quickly...

18. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    Oh, no need.

19. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Or he can talk to me in IM. lol

I'm not a big soccer fan but I plan on watching America vs. Germany tomorrow.

20. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I think I've converted her! :p

21. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    I've been following this thread for awhile. How else would I know who won each game? :p

22. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    You've been lurking in our thread? And I thought you didn't like Soccer? :D

23. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    I've never watched it being played so how would I know if I like it?

[ot]For the record defence looks silly. Defense looks better. :p[/ot]

24. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Oh, don't tell me you are you having a go at my apparent lack of English now, as well? I can't win! :D

25. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Hey, I was defending you! ;)

And um to stay on topic, go U.S.A!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.