main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does WNU still exist?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Why is it that the paradigm for this discussion has to be whether people find something "pointless" or "useless"? Something can be useful and yet if it isn't serving the purpose it is intended for then it is a fair question to be asked about in regards to continuing to put resources into it. Yes there have been multiple discussions over the years in how to make WNU more useful, and yet by most metrics there has been no change despite all that has been done.

Multiple times over the last few years both the JC and FF have consolidated forums that no longer serve a useful purpose. And as I am yet to see anyone actually refute the soft numbers I posted above or provide a solid off-set to that, how can a stand be made to keep a forum open that is for all intents and purposes a secondary community forum rather than one that is based upon the new users? It is fair to question pumping multiple resources into that forum when as more than one person has pointed out that the issue with people feeling unwelcomed on the boards is primarily isolated to a single forum, which as the largest forum on the boards is where it makes more sense to put the resources to work. Obfuscating the issue by turning it into a question of people's personal opinions on whether the forum has a point does nothing to address either of the above issues and is unfair to all involved.

2. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    At least one other person has mentioned the JCC as the issue when it comes to new users feeling unwelcome and really, I'm not sure how anyone can expect a forum dedicated to making people feel welcome is ever going to prepare some random 14-year-old for the JCC. A more effective solution might be a JCC specific welcome/orientation thread within the JCC (similar to the old JCC guide for better posting).

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we actively make the boards less welcoming, only that WNU is no longer a good way to welcome new people and turn them into permanent members of our communities.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    WNU is as useful as a No Spoilers Allowed forum.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    My two cents:

The people who use WNU like it and have no issue with it.

None of you guys go into WNU or actively participate in it (at all, in some cases), so why bother if it's not hurting you? I'm not a big fan of WNU, since I never needed it when I registered back in the day, however, a good majority of the newer people go to it and like it. Yes, I understand your point about how right now it is a bit pointless seeing as we don't have "new users," but WNU is still active with posters, yes? If it was completely dead, I'd understand and back you. However, it's not. Once we move, it'll serve its purpose again since we'll have new users.

Bottom line, as much as I love you guys, it's really just coming across like you guys are bored and want something to complain about. [face_tired]

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Or just make the YJCC more welcoming. :p Like I said... it's like a clique full of real name (not user name) usage and sarcastic references to inside jokes.

As I said earlier, I am one of those users who never saw the need for a Welcome New Users forum... but as I also said, it's not hurting anyone, and if it is helpful for some new users (especially when we can get new users again), leave it up. So I agree.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or just take some time to lurk and get the knack of the place. It's usually a good policy.

I've just taken a look at some major social threads outside JCC, and in practically they all eventually start using real names and referencing past jokes. It's a reality, and not something you can (or must) enforce (although a "Banned for saying Dave instead of JoinTheSchwarz" usernote would be hilarious).

Random Comments likes this.
  7. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    I notice you don't refute the fact that the WNU forum isn't able to do this.:p

The JCC isn't a welcoming place to jump right into, but removing the use of real names and inside jokes would be detrimental to the close knit feeling the JCC offers. These things do not make it impossible for someone new to become a part of the community, there's just a little bit of a learning curve. I was new to the JCC once and every moment I spent trying to figure out who was who and what the hell YSLCATGOT meant were worth it.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Particularly since the 2nd half of my username is my actual last name. :p As for the rest of it, I couldn't agree more.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 22[face_frustrated]

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I assume you guys did notice the ":p" I used... haha. My observations were just that... observations of how the YJCC could appear / feel to a new (or even relatively new) user. None of it has actually bothered me personally.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hey guys.
    How's it going?
    We set a date for the WNU closure yet?

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    MS us currently entrenched in a fairly large discussion on this issue. Stay tuned.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Do you intend to keep it for after the boards move? If so is it that big a deal to keep it open?

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So another set of JC'ers get their own anti-JCC or whatever. I don't care if the name no longer applies. Let them have it.

The JCC/WNU "feud" was hilarious initially, though.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    whoa, i never even knew there was a feud! that is so weird.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wacky times... the "feud," and SLG "Stepping down" (at gunpoint).

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't understand how this post was written in 09. I had been banned nearly 5 years at that point, yet it is so clearly about me... [face_hypnotized]

It's eerily similiar to my own collection of satisfied customers:

"I'd say it's pathetic that you see no problems with what you did, but it's not. It's actually pretty disturbing that somebody could have these attitudes." - TheFoolWhoFollowsHim (in response to my mocking another JCer - a father whose wife just suffered a miscarriage, as I posted pics of aborted fetuses and telling him, "Congratulations".

"Myke this must be another case of your superior intellect and wit going right over my head. Lung cancer must be fairly humorous as well." -Masterlucas (in response to my views on some girl whose mother had died)

"You think 77,000 deaths (and that's just at the time of writing this) is laughable?!! That's an 'Adolf Hitler'-level of coldness" - NateDanger (in response to my commentary on the Tsunami in the Pacific Rim and how everyone's charity was them following trends)

"You have no sense of connection or sympathy or compassion to humanity at all, do you, MyKe1138? - Tion_Meddon (in response to practically everything I posted back then)

19. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    As far as I see it, the intention is to keep the forum with some possibly refocusing.

Again, guys, if you want to discuss the issue in terms of WNU, that's fine, but this isn't a social or reminiscing thread. Thanks.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have actually been having a stretched out planning session with Nat & Skiara about better utilizing WNU, and there are some solid ideas coming out of it. I don't know that it will ever live up to the standards imposed upon it by the random people who have absolutely nothing to do with that section of the boards... but, it seems as though we have begun hammering out a plan that will benefit the people who do post there.

Personally, I do post there semi-frequently because a decent amount of users post there in relative safety and I make an effort to steer them toward other parts of the boards if they become inclined to try leaving the nest. It's a much more sterile, safe version of everything else (not just YJCC), so people with a less abrasive disposition feel free to share their interests openly in there. It has its own little community, same as the SW section, LACWAC, fanfic, or wherever else, and that's completely justifiable since it seems to be a group that, although registered at much earlier dates, still don't feel they will ever have any desire or acceptance to join the frat houses elsewhere on here. In basic terms, it will never be able to function to demonstrate the 'community' aspect of the rest of the JC if the social scene in there is dead. It maintaining an active social structure is part of what DOES work in WNU toward its intended purpose.

And, to reiterate, if it currently serves no other purpose to people with 45,000 posts, there are always "new" people who are returning to the boards who like to ask questions in less hostile territory. And, it is still the only place on here where less active users can 'spam' for enough posts to be able to PM.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I thought I was discussing wnu. I've made several suggestions over the years. I think wnu could benefit from being more informative. Telling people that the jcc is "just a sarcastical place where people like their jokes," is not helpful. I was serious when I said I think that people are not being properly "prepared" for the rest of the boards. I honestly am not gunning for the pillow fight thread to be deleted, etc... that's a part of that forums "culture," and it should remain. What I think would be beneficial is more information. Like I said earlier, I've been seeing a lot of, "wnu isn't for everybody," and I think that's one of its major flaws. Make the place more inviting and user-friendly to regular posters. That way new users wouldn't have to rely on the vague descriptions of a mod who never posts (or reads, I bet) the jcc and a handful of users who gave the same vague description. wnu, as it is, is like preschool - people show up, play make-believe, have naptime and snacks, and are shoved off to college.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I think I actually agree with harpuah :eek:

23. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Just want to quickly note that when we move this will probably no longer be an issue - vBulletin has no post limits on people being able to send PMs (assuming we move to that board system - unsure about the new IGN software).

(it's not a big deal either way - WNU is more than just a place to spam for PM acccess - but I've seen this point posted 3-4 times now so thought I'd make mention of it :p)

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Delete all forums except Comms.

Random Comments likes this.
  25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    All decent board software lets you configure that setting, and now that we will have INFINITE POWER over settings, the admins can turn it off or on. (I assume ours will keep it off, because that is usually the default and they aren't smart enough to think about it or check it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.