main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Emperor's Pawns article (was: Gamer #5 stuff @ TOS!!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedimasterED, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    You should have known better. If he'd dressed like Vergere, he'd have been obligated to say he *didn't* dress like Vergere.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hah. Back in the day, I was able to get my hands on the three Super Star Wars games by giving Pokemon cards for them. :p

3. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    :D Utterly adorable.

But they'll still have to pry my Marvels out of my cold, dead fingers. [face_laugh]

Yes, yes, I know that can be arranged. ;)

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Reading those second endnotes, Abel, I'm interested in the 'Sinister Alliance' adventure seed. What happened in it, or, to save you typing, what was it in?

Carnor Jax and Nom Anor...and in turn Lumiya and Nom Anor....probably why she went straight for the Baffor Pollen in the Yuuzhan Vong war - she'd been looking for something to solve the problem when the obvious anwer - the Empire - was beaten up.

Sith and Yuuzhan Vong hegemony? Not on her watch, I'd say.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Would you have preferred a picture taken the Halloween I dressed up like a ninja?

You see Senator, this was the inevitable intended conclusion of that seed I planted long ago. For everything I tell you blah blah blah.

Anyway, Wicket pwnz Vergere.

OGM, EMPORORZ PWNZ!!!11!

I discovered that website back in 97, and loved it.

I feel the same way. :)

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And Vader's Legacy still isn't out, correct?

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    That is correct, Sinrebirth. Try not to be displeased with the apparent lack of progress.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    As a halloween present. Will we see any "final fates" in the characters you mention? I.e. Tremayne, Vongerella, or so on?

9. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    abel, if i ever find you, im tarring and feathering you--then sticking Jedi robes on you!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them...

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Say... that isn't a can of worms you've got there, is it King Charles?

Well, we know from Evil Never Dies that Flint was offed, eh?

Never.

Mighty Waru of Waru, your beneficence is beyond the scope of human understanding.

12. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It seems... surprisingly early... for Vongerella to be using her lightsaber...

And... can I ask if we'll be seing more of Daye Azur-Jamin? o_O :D [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

13. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I hope so. Tinian I'att and Daye were some of my favorite Adventure Journal characters.

14. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Abel, I have a question:

In your endnotes you mention that you paierd up Lumiya and Flint due to the TPM quote of Yoda's about the Sith only being two.

Does that mean that Lumiya knew of the Rule of Two, was trying to follow it, and considered herself a successor of Bane's legacy? And the same for Flint/Carnor.

15. Maarek Stele

Maarek Stele Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 1998
    It was ME!!

MUHAHAHAHAH!!!

16. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I only just finally read this article and it is indeed very cool. I also spotted something that amazed me, an obscure reference to an old Adventure Journal article, by the name of "Relic". The amazing co-incidence is that I was just reading the AJ article and wrote an article for the Wookieepedia on the dark Jedi Durrei. If it hadn't been for that, I would have missed it entirely.

The reference is in Arden Lyn's biography, where she uses a Kashi Mer talisman to kill Awdrysta Pina. Later, in the adventure seed, she is resurrected by means of this artifact 250 centuries after her (first) death. This talisman becomes an important part of her story as she wants to use it to resurrect Xendor.

Well, the AJ article is about tracking down a relic that is also from the Kashi Mer dynasty. I didn't pick up at first that they were one and the same, namely because "Relic" has a picture that doesn't match the physical description, but indeed, they are the same. Also the lack of a proper title slowed it down. (If you want to read up on the talisman, it now has a Wookieepedia article too.)

Kudos, once again, to Abel for another obscure connection. I thought I might have been the first to make this connection as I had not heard anything about it before. When I looked through this thread, however, I found that although it had not been discussed outright, at least one person had picked it up: Ana Vitorrian. I don't know how many will remember Ana V, but they always were incredibly well-informed and, here, they gave a clue as to the connection but left it up to others to find for themselves (unlike me, who yelled it out from the rooftops).

It is amazing that these articles can still turn up nuggets of gold, even after 6 years. I don't know how Abel can keep the silence!

17. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    That is the best coincidence ever. :D Eyrezer you have to quit writing such compelling articles. I have to tear myself away from the screen sometime! Loved the article, but still can't get over the reference to Adalric Brandl being a former Jedi Knight. My perception is completely ruined now. :p "Actor->Inquisitor=Dark Jedi" not "Jedi Knight who acted->Inquisitor"! My brain hurts now. :p

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I would never be, don't worry. I understand that the Force Unleashed project may have bearing on what you're writing. Or written. Or re-wrote.

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Probably not this round.

Hey Two_Legs. Well, you've gotta understand that when I wrote The Emperor's Pawns in 2000, the Marvel Comics were still very marginalized, in practice if not in theory. There was a stigma associated with the series based on several factors. So, when I tied Lumiya and Flint together in my notes to Lucasfilm, using a parallel to the recent quote from Yoda was just my way of trying to further legitimize Marvel via association to accepted sources.

That said, Lumiya's bio in The Emperor's Pawns ends stating that:

Lumiya has grown powerful in her seclusion, blending traditional Sith ways with new and dangerously innovative tactics.

So, it's a fair bet that Lumiya knew of the Rule of Two (she did know about Palpatine and Vader, after all). But was she part of Bane's legacy insofar as she felt beholden to that rule? I doubt it, especially if she was aware of even older Sith traditions (which we know from Evil Never Dies, she was), and especially not if she's "blending" traditional Sith ways with her own "new and innovative" concepts. With Flint, she might've felt it made sense to follow the most recent framework of Sith practices (one master, one apprentice), but she probably got over that as her Sith learning and thus confidence grew.

But, that's a time capsule POV. I'm not sure how the Lumiya of Legacy of the Force thinks.

It was you.

Incidentally, not to be a jerk, but that "Nelson Mandela" quotation you've got in your sig is actually misattributed. It's from one of Marianne Williamson's books.See here.

Very cool, nonetheless.

20. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks! ;)

I like "Relic." Didn't George R. Strayton (Tales of the Jedi Companion) write that one?

You'll recall that Durrei was recruited by a "mysterious man" to fight the Imperial remnants. Hmm...

Arden didn't actually "die," that first time, not exactly anyway. Note that her bio emphasizes that the Followers of Palawa were particularly gifted at the Force-trance. So her suspension was some bizarre combination of the FoP Force-trance, the relic, and death by mortichro (or morichro, as subsequent sources misspelled it).

Indeed, they are. That was a lousy depiction of it.

Ana Vitorrian was one of the old guard bonafide masters of obscurity, as the name demonstrates. Thou art missed. ::single tear::

Some of them manage to sneak by you guys. In all fairness, I was going to write about this in the next installment of the Emperor's Pawns endnotes. I've just gotten hung up.

Not familiar with the famous Disaffected Jedi Acting Troupe?

It may.

Take care,
    Abel

21. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    Wow, so strange seeing a still active Star Wars Gamer thread. Only fairly recently was I able to hunt down all 10 issues (thus ensuring that I have ever Star Wars d20 publication). Flipping through them I get weird little waves of nostalgia reading speculative articles about the 'forthcoming' Episode II and ads for N64 games.

And that was a really great article, Abel. Your work in Gamer always gave my players something to kill, and I mean that in the best possible way.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh geez, I remember Ana Vitorrian. Wow, it's been ages...

23. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    I amended the article to reflect this point. I did wonder about the spelling of mortichro. It's not often that the later misspelling becomes the accepted useage.

24. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    I wondered about that. There are a few options available. My preference would be for the "mysterious man" to be Lord Hethrir of the Empire Reborn, because it's always good to get the Empire Reborn some more coverage. (Plus it was Abel that made them cool again.) The relic would be right up Hethrir's alley too, as he desires absolute access to the Force. What could work is if Durrei was the first person in charge of Hethrir's Empire Youth. If he was killed in the Jandoon incident (following a line that the heroes win) Hethrir looked for a replacement, and settled for the non-Human Desann due to urgency. It would be a neat parallel to the Dooku replacing Maul pattern.

When I discussed this idea with Jaymach over at the Wookiee, he pointed out a major problem with the splinter movement being the Empire Reborn?there are no records of them fighting other Imperials, as first attracted Durrei. Jaymach's suggestion was for the group to be the Protectorate (with the slight problem that the story they are from is not yet canon). That would allow the mysterious man to be either Adlaric Brandl or his son Jaalib Brandl, an equally cool possibility. They were definitely in conflict with other Imperial groups.

Any else care to speculate?

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I'm biased, obviously, but looking back I think my favorite Gamer issues were the middle ones, 4-6. Come to think of it, I think 9 was pretty good too.

Yeah, like the advertisements in old DH Star Wars issues: "Who would win? Jesus or Buddha?"

Taken in the best possible way. :) I was really scraping the barrel with Sarcev Quest, who appeared briefly and without a name in one AJ adventure. I was happy to kill him in History of the Mandos.

Time flies. Those old posts are great.

It happened with Ebla beer too, which was misspelled Elba in A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, referenced far more often than the particular incidence of the beverage in the Han Solo Adventures.

I'm a big Adalric Brandl fan. At the same time, I could be someone we haven't heard about all together.

I'm finally getting on with the rest of the Emperor's Pawns endnotes. I hope to have the next one up this week.

Take care,
    Abel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.