main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    A-wings and Y-wings are in the OT, in ANH and ROtJ.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Then whatever was in the OT should be fair game to be in the new BF.

3. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Huh. Weird. Never recognised it for me from within Steam. No idea why.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    canon - fiction

cannon - weapon

5. Gorkom

Gorkom Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2014
    I will definitely be waiting for the reviews on this one, with Halo 5 at least I know what I will be getting. But this new Battlefront...I don't know, its iffy. Only 4 planets for multiplayer? That's a bit underwhelming to begin with...considering there is not a campaign. Not to mention, I was hoping to play as the First Order stormtroopers and stuff from TFA....maybe in a DLC? The actual gameplay will probably be fun...for a time, but I can see this getting repetitive.

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm sure a TFA stormtrooper helmet will be an unlockable after playing for 5000 hours:p

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    or for $4.99.

Tommytom, Zer0 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  8. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    New Battlefront will be awesome.

I'm so excited about Sullust!

And being able to change the species of your rebel soldier!

This is the game I've been looking for.

November can't come soon enough.

Tommytom and StarWarsFreak93 like this.
  9. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    No-one commenting on the new mode unveiled?
    Or is it too basic and not changed enough from other shooters?

10. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Everything about this game has me excited EXCEPT for one thing. I want to have my friends over and play online co-op split-screen with my friends while in the same house. Not possible. The only way to play with my friends is to play the Missions split-screen or talk to them through a headset from separate houses. I don't like when games like this discourage physical communication. Maybe EA thinks Star Wars fans don't have friends in real life. This should be a standard mode on any multiplayer game.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The new mode sounds fun.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, even though I don't exactly have many people to play with most of the time, it is very meaningful to be able to play with my brother.

TheyMightBeGeeks likes this.
  13. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    On PC I could understand not having local multiplayer, but to do so with home consoles - where it is possible very easily to have four controllers connected - is absurd, but links back to what I've been saying about online only bias within shooters these days.

14. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I don't think it's so much as an online only bias (at least as far as multiplayer goes), but rather a limitation with the console hardware, from my understanding. I guess the new Halo isn't going to have split screen multiplayer either, which has ruffled quite a few feathers from fans of the series. The developers claim it would be difficult/impossible to maintain the graphical fidelity if they had to render it twice.

(I say all this with very limited knowledge of game development or graphic engineering)

So far I like how the game looks. The graphics look great; and the sound design is superb, but I'm not quite sure I'm sold on the scale yet. After 12+ years of Planetside 1 and 2, and even the original Battlefields, I'm not sure I can go back to 20v20 and feel "immersed" in a war.

The idea of "power ups" just appearing throughout the map makes it feel a little more arcadey than I would prefer but I'l reserve judgement to see how they are actually implemented.

15. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    It's definitely something to do with both.
    On the one hand, how come older games achieved splitscreen on inferior hardware while newer games on superior hardware supposedly can't?
    On the other, to make a mode with splitscreen in the first place you have to consider how many resources the hardware in question can realistically render and still maintain two separate views without a loss of graphical fidelity.
    Which brings with it the point that developers go for ultra realistic graphics these days, meaning splitting into two views would be near impossible to maintain.
    That's what I'm thinking it is, anyway.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Halo was built on splitscreen multiplayer, before pioneering modern online multiplayer with Halo 2. Then offline splitscreen coop became popular with Firefight from Halo 3: ODST/Halo: Reach and Zombies and Spec Ops from Call of Duty. But now Halo 4 and 5 have abandoned Firefight, replacing it with online modes like Spartan Ops and Warzone, and Call of Duty barely even cares about offline splitscreen anything. It probably doesn't help matters that DICE has never been known for offline anything.

17. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    That's my exact problem with games today. Everyone is so concerned with realistic graphics instead of fun factor. Now the fun factor is being completely tossed aside in cases like this. At least for this particular mode which I think is an important one.

darskpine10 likes this.
  18. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I'll admit that every announcement for this game has tested my hope that it's going to be a great game for me (an offline player)

19. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    There's very little to comment on when something as trivial as TDM is announced, a mode which has been among the mainstays for decades in most MP based games ever since the Quake/Unreal Tournament days, and even before that.

You'd need to have your expectations set very low to be excited by something that is as basic as ever, but rebranded with a different name... "Blast", and made to appear as something special. It really isn't. It can be fun for a while, ofcourse it can, but it doesn't deserve the "Oooh's" and "Aaah's" EA/DICE's PR are expecting. Doesn't really need it's own seperate announcement either. o_O

20. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    With a tease like that, you'd expect a mode exclusive to Battlefront.
    Yeah. Team Deathmatch is a trivial mode for such... well, was it that big an announcement? Aside from a few social media teases, I don't recall much being hyped about it. Except news outlets, of course.

21. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Whatever buzz was created a few days before in order to get people interested on social media pretty much ended up in "Look people! It's TDM! ... With a totally different, shiny name!"... That's it. And then the news/gaming sites pick it up, ofcourse. If these kind of modes get put into a spotlight and made to seem bigger/more important than they really are, it doesn't really instill confidence that it's a game with a long road ahead of it.

It sort of reminds me of the vehicles they keep hammering down your throat; "Xwings! AT-AT's! TIE Fighters! The Millenium Falcon! Aren't you just totally amazed you get to play these!?" ... Well, no? It's fun but, you know... It's Star Wars, why should i be? What kind of Battlefront would it be without them? You got anything else? (silence) ... You don't, right?

TDM is just like that for anything MP related, you'd expect that in a casual "Oh yeah, we have that too" when someone asks them about it in a list of many other classic modes. Well, maybe i shouldn't look into it too much, but i'm getting the feeling everything is being made to seem bigger than it is, because in truth, well, there is that possibility it just doesn't have that much to offer.

I can get a reveal (in whatever fashion) for something you really don't expect. Not TDM. It's not that strange when it gets a somewhat quiet, lukewarm reception. You'd be hardpressed to find one that doesn't have some sort of TDM these days. I think that's the average attitude.

22. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    Yeah I kept looking around for the big announcement cause I thought I'd looked over it. Team Deathmatch was a given. If they didn't have it, that would be an announcement.

23. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    For me a big reveal for battlefront would be something like a clone wars expansion pack coming in January or something

24. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    Fighter Squadron mode gameplay reveal on the 5th, presumably at their Gamescom conference.
    From the short tease on social media, it looks like A-Wings and TIE Interceptors will be included.

25. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015