main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Bring Him Home - (Obi-Wan) AU Vignette - Now a Short Story - Updated 8/27 Complete!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Author: bek (a.k.a. Bekah_K)

Genre: AU

Characters: OC, Obi-Wan

Summary: Obi-Wan's first solo mission goes wrong. With Commander Swyer's help, he gets a message back home.

Disclaimer: The character (Obi-Wan) belongs to Lucas. I make no profit from this. It's just a hobby. However, Commander Swyer is my creation.

Author's Note: This is intended to stand alone; however, I may continue it at some point. [face_mischief]

Edit: New chapter posted. The continuation will not be very long, maybe two more posts or so. :)

Bring Him Home

The earth shook from the aerial shots that after their spectacular arched performance whistled their impending arrival before scorching the ground in which they dove. Dirt and debris rained down upon me as I counted the seconds till the next blast. The hill I was on could barely be called by its name; pieces of the hilltop were missing from the targeted scrapes of enemy fire. I burrowed down into my makeshift trench clutching my gun to my side. I listened as booted feet rolled cannons closer, as gun ships hovered above the once green grass awaiting any sign of air support.

I closed my eyes and waited for my impending death. There were no others, they were gone. Each killed without remorse or a second glance. Our planet had been plundered into political chaos and war, each side forgetting what they were initially fighting for until all that was left were loyal armies doing someone else?s vengeful bidding. Behind closed eyelids pictures of my wife and son came into view. My little one is barely two years of age. A tear trekked down my cheek as I thought of never being able to hold him again or teach him the things he would need to know. My wife, my beautiful wife. How many times had she pleaded for me to resign my position with the coalition? How many times had I soothed her, reassuring her that I would return as I always had? I can see her smile; I can feel her touch. I close myself off and live within my memories.

?Are you okay?!? The hand on my shoulder roughly shakes my upper torso. ?Commander!?

As I surface from my thoughts, I feel the ground shutter as an explosion hits close by sending fragments of dirt and metal through the air to land on top of us. A heavy weight lies across me and I briefly wonder if this is another casualty of the war. I open my eyes and find my sight blocked by thick brown material. ?I?m okay,? I answer, my voice hoarse from screaming out commands and warnings the past few?months? The days, weeks, have run together.

The figure shifts, raising himself up till we?re face to face. His eyes fix on mine and his hand falls upon my forehead. His pupils? dilate and his gaze takes on a faraway look. He smiles, relief plays upon his features, ?We?ve got to get you out of here!?

Not really concerned with who this man ? boy ? is I readily agree to follow him back to the fort, to safety, to home. We slide down the hill on our backsides being cautious of the wreckage left in the enemy?s wake. Gun ships discover us half way down and begin firing upon us creating ruts and ditches within the semi-barren ground. He falls back into me pushing me into one of said trenches.

?We can?t go that way,? I state the obvious and he turns to grin at me.

?Of course not Commander that would be too easy,? he states rather cheekily.

I laugh ? a foreign sound to my own ears, ?What do you suggest??

?There?s only one thing we can do,? he states seriously.

Wary of his sudden change in demeanor, I look at him, ?And what would that be??

?When night falls, you?re going to travel the rest of the way down on your own. The gun ships will revert back to base at dusk, the troops will move in. I?ll hold them off from here.?

I look at his young features and wonder what in the hell he thinks he?s doing, ?Are you out of your mind? You can?t hold them off; there?s too many of them!?

He smiles reassuringly and pulls a weapon from his belt, ?I?ll be okay,? he simply states, standing and l

2. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :_| Oh Bek, that was wonderful! You have to continue it! Obi-Wan was written so beautifully and I loved the passage, it made the post even more emotional. Please finish this! WOnderful OC also. =D=

3. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Wonderful! [:D]

I do hope that at some point that you do continue this, it would be a very interesting story. :D :D :D

I am so curious to find out if Obi-Wan makes it.... [face_thinking]

:D

Ani-maniac

4. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    His eyes don?t leave the rotund casing within his grasp. ?Tell him it was my decision. Tell him I did as I was taught,? he looks at me momentarily, ?Tell him?tell him I?m grateful for everything. Swear to me.?

:_|:_|:_|

That was so beautiful. I loved Obi-Wan's decisiveness and stubborness and that the other man kept thinking of him as a boy.

Please, you must continue.

5. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Very lovely. And very Obi-Wan--strong and brave and stubborn, but just a little wistful, when it comes down to it. I liked Commander Swyer, too.

Please continue!

6. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Have book marked to read over the weekend :)

7. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    So sad...yet I think Obi-wan would do something like that.

8. jedi-k8

jedi-k8 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2005
    "This is intended to stand alone; however, I may continue it at some point."

[face_praying] Please, please continue. I want to know what happens next.

?We can?t go that way,? I state the obvious and he turns to grin at me.

?Of course not Commander that would be too easy,? he states rather cheekily.

Especially loved this bit for the sharp contrast with the seriousness of everything and the so very in character cheekiness.:)

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh wow, bek, this was beautiful! I must add that I only clicked on it because the title reminded me of the song Bring Him Home from Les Mis... and I'm glad I did! It's too beautiful for words...

11. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    OE: You have to continue it! Obi-Wan was written so beautifully and I loved the passage, it made the post even more emotional. Thank you! :) The passage is from a song that I heard recently. Different scenarios began coming to my mind until I finally got one down on screen. I do intend to add another post but do not know how soon that will be. Thank you for reading; it means a lot! :)

Ani-maniac: I am so curious to find out if Obi-Wan makes it? Kinda depends on the rest of the passage?then again, perhaps I?ll tweak it a little. ;)

Master_Noi: I loved Obi-Wan?s decisiveness and stubbornness... Obi-Wan is following his training in putting others before himself. By sending a message to Qui-Gon he feels as though he is tying up loose ends. :)

maychorian: And very Obi-Wan?strong and brave and stubborn, but just a little wistful, when it comes down to it. He wants his master to know that he did his training justice, that he didn?t let him down when it came down to it. I liked Commander Swyer, too. Thanks! :)

Sabe126: Thanks for reading! :D

Genimay: Me too! He just has that selflessness about him, putting others before his own needs. ;)

jedi-k8: Especially loved this bit for the sharp contrast with the seriousness of everything and the so very in character cheekiness. I?m glad that came across well. I was trying to capture some of his dry humor. :)

PadawanKitara: Oh WOW Thank you! [face_blush]

Idrelle_Miocovani: Oh wow, bek, this was beautiful! I must add that I only clicked on it because the title reminded me of the song Bring Him Home from Les Mis... and I'm glad I did! It's too beautiful for words... I?m glad you liked it! :D Thank you for reading! :)

12. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    You captured Obi-Wan's humour, nobility and bravery perfectly! :) I could easily picture everything that happened.

Bravo! :)

13. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    This was wonderful!

That is a wonderful example of Jedi courage and putting others before themselves.. so sweet of Obi-Wan. He may be a 'boy' in the Commander's words, but his decisions and courage are that of a man's.

The man I speak of was your son, or, at least he said that you were as close to a father as he would come

:_| that was so sweet!

so sweet! this is a great little viggie on it's own, but is just begging to be expanded! In fact, there simply must be more!
    [face_praying] Please put me on the PM list if you do update! [:D]

14. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Beautiful! I do hope to see more of this, but even alone it is fantastic!

15. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Beautiful, wonderful, haunting, excellent... (continues on in this vein until her synonyms are exhausted)

I love your charcterizations of Obi-Wan and the OC; this story gave me chills! Obi-Wan, being stubborn and strong, and refusing to leave... just :_|:_| The letter really got me too. You have to continue this, even though it was meant as a viggie! I want to know what Qui-Gon thought of it all, and if Obi-Wan ever gets himself out of this situation! [face_praying]

Stormqueen

16. Peagis

Peagis Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    wow that was great i hope u do continue it !

17. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I've heard that song. You did a great job turning it into a story. I think it stands alone well, but I would enjoy reading more if you feel like writing it.

18. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Oh my! That was powerful! I do hope you decide to continue this, I would love to see Swyer's rescue attempt. Very very good vig!

19. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Sabe126: You captured Obi-Wan's humour, nobility and bravery perfectly! Thank you! [face_blush]

JOINME: He may be a 'boy' in the Commander's words, but his decisions and courage are that of a man's. I agree! I think anyone old enough to be his father would consider him a kid in the face of a war. :p Especially not realizing his skill and the extent of his training. ;)

kateydidnt: Beautiful! I do hope to see more of this, but even alone it is fantastic! Thank you very much for the kind words, and I do plan to add another part. ;) (For some reason I always want to put an apostrophe between the n and t at the end of your user name. I always stop myself just in time though. [face_laugh])

stormqueen874: I want to know what Qui-Gon thought of it all, and if Obi-Wan ever gets himself out of this situation! I'm working on it, but don't know when it will be up. :) Thanks for reading! :)

Peagis: Wow that was great i hope u do continue it! Thanks! I will, just not sure how soon! :p

Elana: I've heard that song. You did a great job turning it into a story. I really liked the song when I first heard it, it made me cry at the end though. :( Thank you for the kind words! :)

Shadowolf: Oh my! That was powerful! I do hope you decide to continue this, I would love to see Swyer's rescue attempt. Thanks! [face_blush] Oh my, a rescue attempt, huh? I'm not too good with action but I can give it a try. Might be more of an idea where your imagination runs wild while I subtely try to skip around that part! [face_laugh] Just kidding. There will be another piece to this but I'm not sure what I'll include in it. ;)

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Really hoping that bringing this back up will encourage you to continue it. Hint, hint...

21. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    VaderLVR Continuation below, although it won't go into a lot of detail. :)

I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors...I know there's some in here. :(

Chapter 2

His eyes were steadily fastened on the image before him. How many times had he heard this, how many times had he replayed it? The council sat quietly, once again viewing the disheartened soldier as he retold his tale. When the holocom quieted, Mace reached forward and turned it off aware that Qui-Gon had not moved to stop him.

Silence stretched throughout the chamber. The subtle shifting of a few masters the only sound to be heard. Qui-Gon swallowed, the knot lodged in his throat reluctantly moving aside. When he was sure that his serenity was in place, he said, ?I?m going to find him.?

?In condition to participate in a mission of this type, you are not.?

When Qui-Gon?s startled gaze met with Yoda?s, Mace cleared his throat to draw the Master?s attention before speaking. ?We have a team assembled. They will leave at dawn.?

When his friend?s questioning gaze asked in silence, Mace continued, ?I will be heading the mission; we will find young Kenobi.?

Qui-Gon dipped his head in gratitude. Mace was an accomplished Jedi, one of only a few he trusted with this particular assignment. Besides, he knew that if he pushed the issue that he would get nowhere. Not this time.

Sitting on the floor Qui-Gon reclined back against the sofa. Rubbing a hand over his weary features, he looked down at the letters strewn about him. He had read and re-read each one trying to find some sort of missing piece that he had overlooked that may have directed his attentions to the outcome of his padawan?s mission. But none were to be found. Obi-Wan had spoken little of the assignment itself, instead choosing to tell of the planet, the people, even the weather when it didn?t fit his particular mood. Reaching for the first one that he had received, Qui-Gon picked it up and read.

Dear Master,

I can honestly say I?ve never seen anything like this before. Of all the missions we?ve been on, the emotions flowing in and around this place are too much at times. We?ve contacted the opposing force but have yet to set a time or place to meet.

I know this isn?t the usual manner in communication but the consoles they have here are limited. I haven?t witnessed my own handwriting in quite some time with all the technology we use at the Temple. Typed words are more familiar to me than this, faster too I might add. And yet there?s a connection with this that I have not sensed with a comm. link, data pad, or comm. unit.

The locals here are friendly enough but are wary of their military. Many don?t understand the rationale of why they fight and I have to agree with their assessment. This war seems to have stemmed from a few generations back, but no one can tell me the grounds on which it?s based. The lines on either side have continued to follow in their forefather?s footsteps with no idea of why they fight.

The soldiers here are welcoming of my presence and have been as hospitable as possible with the situation at hand. They?d like everyone to believe they?re a rough bunch, but mostly they just miss their families and long for home.

The militia is meeting; I have to go. More soon.

Obi-Wan

It had been eight months since his padawan?s disappearance. Refusing to believe that Obi-Wan was anything less than alive was not an option to a heart that he now wished had stayed closed and frozen in the ice that Xanatos had left it in. At least that way he would have been numb. Picking up another, he let his eyes roam over the elegant script of his padawan?s writing.

Master Qui-Gon,

You were right in your assessment of the situation. It?s complete chaos here. The military is trying their hardest to keep some semblance of order but the constant fighting resulting in casualties and varying degrees of wounded men aren?t helping the matter any. The general is showing signs of exhaustion and extreme stress but refuses to hand o

22. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    :_| [face_dancing] Those are the two main emotions I had reading this story. I'm really looking forward to the reunion and then it will be :_| [face_dancing] [:D]

23. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    AngryWarrior :_| [face_dancing]Those are the two main emotions I had reading this story. I'm really looking forward to the reunion and then it will be :_| [face_dancing] [:D]

Thanks! :D I'm glad you enjoyed it!

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wow, what a magnificent story. I love both and would love to quote everything back to you - if you PM, I'd love to be on the list.

Swyer grinned, ?I know. But being a father myself I couldn?t in good conscious allow your master to think the worst let alone go through the loss of a child. I had to do what I know he would have done for me. It?s an unwritten code between fathers.?

That's an "aw" moment, and Qui-Gon's letters to Obi-Wan - I'm melting inside. Wonderful, wonderful story.

25. ConStar

ConStar Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2004
    What a heartbreaking story, bek! The close relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is beautifully written here. And I like Qui-Gon's determination to not even consider the possibility that Obi-Wan might be dead. :eek: It comes in handy sometimes (can you say that in this context?) to be a stubborn Jedi Master, I guess :p.

The only thing I had a bit of a hard time believing is that the council would send a padawan to a war torn planet on his first solo-mission. But that's just my personal opinion, mind you. :-B

I'm really looking forward to read about the upcoming reunion. Please, don't let me wait too long!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.