main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Making of a Knight-Companion to Death of a Jedi Master

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by astroanna, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Hi, guys! Well, I figured I should tell the death scene from Obi-Wan's point of view, too. I mean, it's only fair, right?

:)

MAKING OF A KNIGHT

The red and black tatooed Sith lord spins, the end of his deadly red lightsaber plunging itself through your chest, and I can only stand here, immoble, trapped by these damned laser walls. Laser walls which make me see everything with a strange red glow, though they are not the real reason I am seeing red. As I watch you fall to the floor, I hear a tortured cry ripped from the depths of despair. I am mildly surprised to find that it is my own voice I am hearing.

?Noooooooooo!!!?.

Rage blooms within me as I watch your body lying there, with a horrible hole through your heart. I look at your killer, and he is smiling at me; a horrible, twisted, evil smile that only serves to intensify the fury burning within me. I activate my saber, preparing myself to do mortal combat, and all I can think of is how I wish these laser walls would come down. My eyes are steady on my new adversary as I bend my knees, loosening my mucles in preparation for the coming battle, as I have done hundreds of times in training.

Suddenly the laser wall is gone, the barrier lifted, and I am in motion instantly. Though I have dueled many times in the training arena, I have never been pitted against an adversary as skilled and deadly as this one, and I struggle to relax, struggle to let my mind and body fall into the familiar rhythms of the Force, but my grief and my anger are like solid walls, blocking my complete connection to the vibrant energy that is as familiar to me as breathing.

As the contest continues, I can feel your life force slipping away, Master, and that fact tears through my heart just like the lightsaber tore through yours. How could this be? The great Qui-Gon Jinn, dying? It defies my understanding. Your presence was always so distinctive, so larger than life, how could the pillar that is your spirit be crumbling?

Grief, searing and hot, grips my mind and will not let go. My muscles work of their own volition, however, for they know what to do without my conscious thought. The blue of my blade slams into the red of my opponents?, and I execute a quick left-right motion with my saber, forcing my enemy to bring his lethal double-edged lightsaber lateral. I see my opportunity, and I take it, slicing the saber in half. The contest is now equalized, and I immediately take advantage, throwing myself at my opponent with a renewed determination. For though my anger burns brightly, so does my resolve, my need to avenge you, Master. The two begin pulsing within me, loosening my grip upon the Force even further. I don?t care anymore, though, for I know what I have to do, and if I have to call upon the Dark side to defeat it, then so be it.

//That?s not the way it works and you know it!// screams a voice in the back of my mind, but I pay it no heed. As the battle continues, I am moments from victory, I know it. Suddenly, unexpectedly, I feel the Force move against my body with explosive strength, and I am thrown backwards. With a jolt of horror, I realize that I?m falling, but only for a split second, as my hands find a grip on the bottomless energy shaft I am now holding onto. I struggle to catch a hold with my feet, but they find only thin air. As I hang there, I realize that my adversary has kicked my lighsaber down the pit, for I can hear the metal as it hits the side of the shaft.

Suddenly, a thought crosses my mind that has never done so before; today could very well be the day I die. My Master is lying on the ground, somewhere above me, mortally wounded, and as I look up at my opponent, the wicked grin on his face tells me I?m next.

Suddenly, inexplicably, a memory floats up from the depths of my mind, bright, vivid, and crystal clear.

I am 16, and in the training arena with my master, and, once again, I have been bested. Despite this, my Master is watching me, smiling, and says, ?You did well, Padawan?.

2. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Very gritty and very touching, astroanna - not an easy combination to achieve, but you've done it very nicely.

Bravo.

CYN

3. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Again you stun me, that was poetic, wonderful, touching all the same.

I loved it

Yoda

4. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Wow! I've never gotten 2 responses that quickly!

Cyn, as always, I'm amazed and touched. Thank you so much!

Yoda, your wonderful praise continues to amaze me as well!

It's all you guys that read my stuff that keeps me writing it! Thank you again!

5. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Very good astroanna. You write these with so much feeling that it leaves me breathless. I'm not one that cries a lot, but right now I feel like it.

6. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    :_| *sniff, sniff* I think you've captured those emotions very well.

7. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    *applause* Wonderfully done! I felt like I was actually there with Obi-Wan. You did a fantastic job of describing what happened and showing us his thoughts. As with the other fic you wrote about this scene, you dovetailed what happened in the movie perfectly with your own imaginings. Bravo! :)

8. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Thank you all, Flashbacca, jedi-bounty, and Arwyn!

9. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Hi, all! Just thought I'd up this one more time for anyone who wants to read!

10. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Hi all! One more up!

11. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Thanks for letting me know this was here! I think this one is lovely too (and anyone who hasn't read "Death of a Jedi Master" should). *sniff sniff* That is such a heartbreaking scene from any point of view (well, except maybe Maul's - he's probably much to angry to be heartbroken) and I think you captured that very well.

I always thought the final gesture of Qui-Gon brushing away Obi-Wan's tears was his way of expressing among other things his love for Obi-Wan and you showed that beautifully I think.

KD

12. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    No prob, K-D!

;)

13. Cicci

Cicci Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2002
    I read "Death of a Jedi Master" and was glad to see a link to this one. It's extremely well-done and I love how you give us the scene from both Qui-Gon's and Obi-Wan's point of view. Very sad, and very good. Love it!

14. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.