main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    3 Big XII titles in 4 years for Iowa State. In a conference that includes Kansas, not half bad.

Congratulations Dook for beating a potato tonight. The games count from here on out.

Rew likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Quick shout out to the Lady Polar Bears of Ohio Northern University. They lost in the regional final last night, falling just short of reaching the D-3 Final Four, and finishing their season at 30-1.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    NCAA Tournament Selection:

Gators are a number 4 seed in the East Region, facing East Tennessee State, with potential match-ups against Virginia, Villanova and Wisconsin.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ETSU is a very good team. That's going to be a challenge for Florida.

Edit- we somehow got a 1 seed in a fan-friendly location for the first two rounds. Gamecocks will also be in Greenville - I know many here thought they'd get Tulsa.

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    How does Wisconsin which finishes 2nd in the Big Ten, is runner up in the Big Ten Championship, beat Minnesota 2x and Maryland once finish with a lower seed than both?

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well my Redbirds had to settle for a 1 seed in the NIT so at least I've got a game to go see Wed. night.

Also a little surprised Duke wasn't even the top 2 seed.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Arizona. Half the number of losses, won their conference. They probably deserved a 1 over Carolina, but they're far and away the best 2.

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...eams-after-tourney-snub/ar-AAogsjq?li=BBnb7Kz

Coach Muller makes a good point about how hard it is for mid-majors to schedule quality opponents. They called at least 20-25 tournament teams to try and play them and were shot down. Some good news though is that his tweet to the bigger conferences caught Ole Miss' attention and they are apparently looking to set up a game next season.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    If the Gamecocks can find a way to turn things around and somehow get past Marquette (and if Duke beats Troy), then we could have my two favorite teams facing off against each other in the second round, South Carolina vs. Duke. [face_thinking]

10. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

Duke had a rougher beginning but after their win against Virginia, it started to look like they had really found themselves. Winning the ACC is no small feat. I look for them to go farther than any other 2 seed, despite the fact that they probably have the hardest path. The only real advantage they have is that they might play Virginia, which is a team they know well (and haven't lost to since 2014).

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm not sure how you gather that Duke has a tough, much less, the toughest road.

Baylor and South Carolina have ended the season very, very weak. Duke has an incredibly easy path to the Elite Eight. Rew, you know you're my boy, but I think Troy will test Duke much more than South Carolina or Marquette will, and Duke is a nightmare matchup for Baylor on the perimeter.

Kentucky potentially facing UCLA or Louisville facing Oregon in the Sweet 16 have much more difficult draws.

12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Duke got put in with the #1 overall team. But I agree, up until they would face Nova I don't think their path is harder than the other 2 seeds.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    NU making the tournament for the first time made national news I notice, but they have almost no chance of making it past round 2 (7%). They're not favorites against Vanderbilt, and Gonzaga has the second highest odds (14%) of winning the whole thing.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just coming in to lodge my complaint and have people commiserate/mock me. I got a meeting invite yesterday - my "normal" office (ha!) has booked the giant conference room and will be showing the NCAA Tournament today and tomorrow. Bring your laptop and work and watch.

But I'm travelling and in meetings all day. :(

still - it's one of the most wonderful days in sports. Enjoy it if you can!

15. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm off work early today and have a full day off tomorrow. My plans: drink beer, eat food and watch basketball. It shall be glorious.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just hope to be home from work in time to watch the Tarheels at 4.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    20 minutes. Just in case you don't have a schedule nearby, here's the breakdown for today, ordered by tip-off.

Early Day:
    Princeton vs. Notre Dame
    UNC-Wilmington vs. Virginia
    Winthrop vs. Butler
    South Dakota St. vs. Gonzaga
    Bucknell vs. WVU

Late Day:
    ETSU vs. Florida
    Middle Tennessee vs. Minnesota
    Vanderbilt vs. Northwestern

Early Night:
    Xavier vs. Maryland
    Mt. St. Mary's vs. Villanova
    VCU vs. St. Mary's
    Vermont vs. Purdue

Late Night:
    Fla Gulf Coast vs. Florida State
    Virginia Tech vs. Wisconsin
    North Dakota vs. Arizona
    Nevada vs. Iowa State

EDIT - Crean out at IU. Cal, LSU, NC State, UMass, Washington. Take your pick. One of them will grab him quick. Crean's W-L may not be great at Indiana, but he resurrected that program from hell, and is a very talented recruiter and coach. Indiana is to basketball as Notre Dame is to football - not the only game in town anymore for recruits, and their fans won't accept the new reality.

As for next Hoosiers coach - Gregg Marshall, Wichita State or Andy Enfield, Southern Cal.

cubman987 likes this.
  18. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I wish Greg Marshall would leave Wichita State but I don't see that happening unless he gets made like the top paid coach in college baketball, especially if WSU gets their wish and leaves the MVC.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Obama may no longer be President, but he still did a Bracket:

[​IMG]

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Over and under for a triple-digit scoring game. [face_dancing]

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And no 16 seeded teams thus advance.

22. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Go Marquette

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    This is a great game so far. Rew, pulling for your boys. Would be a huge achievement if this team got their first tournament win.

Edit - Unbelievable performance. Congrats, buddy. Hope you're celebrating, I imagine Five Points will be up all night. Sindarius Thornwell is unbelievably good - that was one of the 4 or 5 best performances I've seen all year, nationally.

anakinfansince1983 and Rew like this.
  24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm still coming down off this high! [face_chicken]

I've been following the Gamecocks for a long time, and that is the best I've seen them play not only this season, but maybe ever (some victories against #1 Kentucky included). From the time we put together that run to close out the half within 1, we just absolutely steamrolled a very good Marquette team--whom I've been fearing ever since it was announced they'd be our opponent--in a very un-Gamecock-like dominating fashion. I know we got bounced in the first round of the SEC tourney, but if we had played then like we did tonight, we maybe could've won that whole tournament.

Oh, and this is our first NCAA Tournament win since 1973--literally the first in my lifetime! This was incredible to witness.

So now my Gamecocks advance to the next round to face... my other favorite team. :p I really don't know who to pull for, other than to cheer for a good, close game! I will say, though, that if USC plays on Sunday like they did tonight, we might actually beat Duke. ;)

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    As a fellow Carolinian who has watched Gamecock Football and Basketball their whole life, I'm sure you'll understand that I was just waiting for the historic Marquette comeback up until about 40 seconds left. :p

Go beat the hell out of Duke. That would be enough to balance out Clempson's championship in football and restore balance to the state.

Rew likes this.