main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #11: Shadows and Secrets, part 5 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 15, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When does this come out?

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Next wednesday, along with Shattered Empire #4 I believe.

SilentGuy66 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Vader being sarcastic, you gotta love it :p

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My Sig. Read it.

Then regularly check the linked thread.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I finally caught up with the Darth Vader series last night, and while it's had it's superb moments, by and large this had been a disappointment for me. A lot of it just doesn't have that Star Wars "vibe", and I felt the Indiana Jones and Aliens allusions were downright dumb instead of wink, wink. Having Grand General Tagge order Vader around like an a-hole seems a bit out of character, even if Vader is being punished by the Emperor, and Doctor Ahra just has a bit too much Earth-like sarcasm and dialogue.

Having said that, some parts are cool. And as seen above, I'm happy to see a Givin character, as they are a species so rarely used in the Expanded Universe.

DelRiego and LelalMekha like this.
  7. MarcelloF91

MarcelloF91 Jedi Knight

Jul 9, 2015
    Oh God, Vader lost his legs again!:_|

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, that one is pretty weird.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The sass is strong with this one.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Vader is easily my favorite canon storyline so far.

BobaMatt, Dante1120 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It's very cohesive, original and meaningful. It feels like a real addition to the saga rather than "what's going on between ANH and TESB?".

The2ndQuest and KED12345 like this.
  12. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Nice issue, things are clearly coming to a head.

Plus finally after 8 issues of waitng
    Vader has finally lost his rag with Aphra and force choked her :p

DelRiego and TiniTinyTony like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you really want
    her dead that bad?

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So at the end of #10 there was something red and glowing in the background behind Vader. I was expecting to find out what that was in this issue, but there was no mention of it. I have to assume it was Thanoth spying on Vader and Aphra hence why he knew to have a trap set just in case she escaped.

SilentGuy66, I loved that part as well. My jaw dropped as I went from panel to panel. Very well done.

15. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Wait. Am I dead?
    *sigh* The downsides of trade waiting...

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    No you are not but by all the Zoochberry Dumplings ever made you deserve to be in a much better written and drawn comic series then this. I mean what is this supposed to be?!!?!?!? Frog Face?!

[​IMG]

Read a friends issue and certainly happy I did not spent money on this, because somehow despite of itself this series is getting worse. The story, or what it claims to have of one, is not going anywhere, scenes are clearly just thrown together at random because they might look cool and woah the artwork has been getting worse and worse from issue to issue. Aphra really is the only good thing about it and she so deserves to just have a better comic series.

smisk, The2ndQuest , cdgodin and 6 others like this.
  17. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Aphra

Don't worry you're not dead.......yet[face_devil]

Jedi Ben and Aphra like this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Nah, this series still manages to have to more story than Shattered Empire and Star Wars combined.
    And this issue in particular was awesome. It finally got to the point where I was not sure if I should root for or against Vader, and I love it when that happens.

IG_2000 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  19. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    It's meant to be "Darth Vader" but feels more like "Aphra".

Vader is hard to write for so I can see why they did that but really the character they wanted to bounce Vader off should have been an Imperial Officer or someone working for the Empire.

20. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I remember Gillen saying in an interview when Vader #1 was released that as the series went on it would focus less on Vader and more on his supporting cast

21. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    A villain doesn’t feel like a villain if there are not characters there we can fear for their safety. And for that to happen, we need to care for these characters, so character development is needed. This is something that always I felt that was lacking in Vader-centered comics/novels: that tension when you don’t know if Vader is going to off a character you really don’t want to be offed.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I must admit this issue felt a bit meh-ish to me, though the series itself is vastly superior to Shattered Empire or Chewbacca. The whole Thanoth investigates Vader thing is dragging on a tad to long, it was fun in the beginning but now less so. The visitations of various information brokers are feeling repetitive. I think arc 2 could have been condensed somewhat, maybe to like five or four issues.

But at least this had a damn fine cliffhanger. Maybe the waiting will pay off in the end, hopefully spectacularly.

At first I wasn't quite sure why he is force choking her, but thinking about it she did screw up and acted carelessly. I mean she even allowed the droids to play cards. No wonder Thanoth caught up.

La Calavera likes this.
  23. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Um... believable death when Thanoth shows up? Vader thought that Aphra was good as caught, and he couldn't take that chance, until he learned she learned something.

La Calavera and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000

Given how brilliant Thanoth is set up to be. It would certainly be underwhelming if he hasn't figured out Vader is playing him.

La Calavera and DelRiego like this.
  25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I know it may be dissapointing to people who simply want to see Vader but it makes a lot more sense for Vader to have other people go off on all his personal missions. It would begin to look a little strange if Vader was constantly going from personal mission to personal mission himself when he is supposed to be a high ranking individual within the Empire.

I really liked this issue and it had some great dialougue. Looks like Aphra is going to constantly have to find reasons she can be of use to Vader though because it looks like as soon as Vader doesn't need her anymore she is toast.

La Calavera likes this.