main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's back! They're back!

"We have a small but dedicated fanbase."

The Asgardian reference also puts this episode into proximity with Ragnarok- I wonder if AOS had started the season at it's usual time (instead of after Inhumans) if that would have synced up to the release date of Ragnarok?

Not feeling Evil Tron Xena in either form of her character, however. Also, poor Yo-Yo meeting part of her future fate much earlier than I would have expected. I forget but did we see her during any flashbacks/flashforwards during the interim Lighthouse sequences where she still had her arms? I mean, hopefully she could get some cybernetic replacements like Coulson or Deathlok...

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sooooooo... question I had...
    Wasn't Zima only reintroduced in The Framework previously? Is that possibly a hint?

3. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    They did show some scenes where she and May had a confrontation and she left the group to take the fight to the blues-and she was not seen again until she ran into herself with no arms. Interesting tie in here is the armless Yo-Yo was Casius's "seer", but when she departed May she had both arms. Makes me wonder if they were prosthetic before she was captured or the Monoliths in the present time give us some sort of parallel timelines.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wondered if the reference to an asgardian was odin, depending on the timelien

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think Odin was recognized in the alternate scenes. They were probably talking about Thor since he's the most famous (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he take a picture with someone on the street in the movie? That would be the most likely connection if so).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's one way to nerf Yo-Yo's power, if a brutal way. I will say, the 1st ep of each arc the last season and a half has had a distinct genre twist to it but I wasn't really seeing one here. Still, I though it got best with the chaos at the end. And Daisy doing her hacker thing while making quips and eating cereal with her feet on the desk was very S1 Skye style, wouldn't mind seeing her do that again for a bit. It's kinda fun. I sort of missed what the big deal was with the stolen van, or was it stolen? Or were they feeling guilty for stealing? But they brought back the random SHIELD agent although she went a little batty at the end there.

I am annoyed that Fury's toolbox didn't have that SHIELD bunker on file. Fury should know every secret that SHIELD has buried. It's hard to accept that he wouldn't know about this one. Maybe he did but didn't file it...?

Jedi Merkurian and pronker like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It does predate Fury being director by a couple decades- could be one of Peggy's secrets, or even Pierce.

Re: the van. They stole the van, which Mac didn't want to do (which is why he said they'd return it afterwards). So the cop pulling over might have ID'd it as stolen.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It's been so long since I've read Secret Warriors, I forgot that Yo-Yo also had that happen in the comics. The real question is going to be what goodies FitzSimmons packs in for her.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah if Misty Knight can get a single robo-arm I'm sure FitzSimmons will deck her out. Heck, even Coluson is missing a hand!

10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm just glad they're out of the dark, dark settings, and Deke gets my wholehearted empathy as he gazes up at the sky and hugs a tree.

The musical 5 minutes or so opening of the Space!Pod really was neat, and so was the opening of this pod. :)
    It's likely the closest we'll come to a musical episode, but St. Patrick's Day is upcoming! A good Irish jig with the whole cast, dream sequence, fever hallucination, I don't care which, would be fun to see.[face_idea][face_good_luck]

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Damn, that episode was good. Nice 100th. And good job for all of those who called
    Deke's parentage...

firesaber and pronker like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    People called that? Based on what/when?

But, yeah, very good 100th episode- loved the title sequence nod to that fact as well. And the arrival sequence gave me the feels but that could just be the AOS theme music. ;)

Probably my only real critique is
    the whole "Fear Dimension" thing was introduced pretty abruptly and doesn't seem conceptually connected to anything they've done before on SHIELD. Looking it up, I get that it's a connection to Doctor Strange (and potentially an advance tie-in to Doctor Strange 2, which supposedly intends to use both the FD and Nightmare) but it seemed glossed over even for a plot device.

Also,
    as much as I liked having Fake-Mike, how did they not use that opportunity to bring back Ward? I mean, obviously Coulson would be less likely to trust him but he could have been Framework Ward.

I do like the notion that
    their attempts to get more gravitonium to seal the rift is what will likely lead to the supply found on the Lighthouse in the future. That actually may mean that the rift isn't what causes the destruction of Earth afterall and would theoretically put Quake back into play as suspect.

On an unrelated note- was just thinking back to the first episode and how Coulson said that the Bus was what SHIELD used to use back in the 80's & 90's before they had the Helicarrier. That got me thinking- with Captain Marvel set in the 1990's, I wonder if there's a chance they might throw the Bus in as a cameo somewhere?

Seems like a possibility that could circumvent the production schedule issues that are amplified by the TV/film divide that has worked against character appearances.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  13. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I've recently re-watched seasons 1-3 recently and finally started season 4. This show certainly gets better each season. As of right now, AoS feels to be on par with the Netflix shows.

14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm just tired of them being outlaws on the run repeatedly through the seasons

Jedi Merkurian and Luke02 like this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Given Iron Fist, Defenders, and Jessica Jones Season 2

. . . is that even a compliment?

16. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay, it's up there with the earlier seasons for now. There has been something off about the Netflix shows these past two years. Mostly.

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I agree. I like watching Shield be Shield. Regular agents dealing with extradinoary things.

I also wonder how they are going to tie this all into Infinity Wars.

pronker and JEDI-RISING like this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i also found it questionable the whole thing about Colson wanting SHIELD to be a symbol. Weren't they mostly a secret group prior to the MCU anyway? Tony and Pepper didn't seem familiar with them in Iron Man.

Luke02 likes this.
  19. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    I mulled that over as well. Best I could come up with was a shield against all the bat **** crazy things that have occurred with alarming frequency since about Iron Man. Watchers on the Wall and all that and some part of that motivation had to bleed over into the future as they were scene as saviors and heroes in the future lighthouse, not criminal dissidents/terrorists as the current narrative of the storyline has them.

BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Coulson could be thinking of SHIELD as a symbol going forward, as the name has been dragged through the mudd a few times; as noted in Captain America: The Winter Soldier; under attack and scrutiny by General Talbot several times; restored with Jeffrey Mace/The Patriot and then taken down again.

So, with SHIELD being known to the public, Coulson just probably wants Daisy to restore the organization back to being a trustworthy and idealistic.

Which reminded of the exchange between Quicksilver and Cap in Age of Ultron, where Quicksilver ask, "this is SHIELD?" and Cap replies, "this is what SHIELD is suppose to be."

21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_party]Wow, that was trippy! Well done, ABC overlords. Also, is there any program that cannot be improved by the addition of
    a Busey?

BigAl6ft6 and Master_Rebado like this.
  22. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    ["I like that they already have Deke picking up on his lineage instead of dragging it out. "Whatever you say.....Grandpa." LOL. Plus, him picking up on the footsteps saying that Simmons used"]

23. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    I finally got through season four. Hell of good. Now I have to find the first seven episodes of season five so I can finally be caught up.

BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    episode 100 was a decent callback all the way to Loki stabbing Coulson. While I didn't buy it for a second FakeMike was telling the truth (cuz they kept saying the fear dimension is not telling the truth) it created some nice drama, and I actually do buy Coulson's notion that he really shouldn't be alive (Which is a meta-comment on him in the MCU as a whole). Also it was great to see Coulson be the lead of an episode, he's the first guy listed on the show but sometimes he feels like 3rd level supporting character.

the next ep had a pretty fantastic MC Hammer riff, a Busey straight up showing up and being loud, and holy hell, I really like Dove Cameron as Ruby. I like her physicality in her intro ep as she stalked down the hallway, it's actually kind of a neat trick to be able to emote / look cool in a full headgear outfit but I thought it worked. Also bringing back a crazy Strucker is a good idea so hopefully we can get him to go full Swordsman nuts by the end of the season. sometimes the baddie scenes in AoS can be a bit of a chore, I kinda wore out the leader of the lighthouse scenes real quick, but I was really enjoying this one.

oh and the Marvel youtube channel has been posting a few of these videos, I do agree the Ward twist was my favourite Agents of SHIELD ever did

I actually think the Ward ep is pretty essential with Winter Solider viewing, it's really well done and you see a character we've known for awhile turn Hydra.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good episode this week. I actually rewatched some early/mid Season 3 episodes with some friends who have been slowly catching up on the series before I watched the new episode myself today- and it was such an awesome little cosmic coincidence that we happened to be watching the episodes with Strucker and here he is, out of the blue, back in the series.

The team probably should have been a little more blase about the flying boat, however, given the helicarriers.

The Busey stuff was great (the haircut!) and I like they they've at least addressed why the gravitonium has been out of play for the last 3.5 seasons/years.

Right now, Ruby is the only thing I really don't like about the current arc. I'm hoping the actress can win me over eventually but right now she just looks completely out of place with the whole cliche petite cheerleader badass bobblehead look and she hasn't really elevated any of her material yet (but the material she's been given has been weak to begin with, so it may not be entirelyher fault). The only thing that works for me about her so far is that her peculiar face/eyes pairs well with the Strucker kid's weird eyes, so at least there is a visual symmetry there with the two psycho characters.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.